Santana Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to get that tone with Channel 1 of my Heartbreaker, but I just don't like the channel for distortion. Too muddy.

I use it for my cleans now, although I might mod it slightly to drop a little bass.

Might still get it.

Is it possible that he only used this amp for his clean tones?

Neck humbucker, roll off the tone pot in the guitar, Mark I input 1 with famous 7-7-2-7-2-7 setting (home).

That is volume 1=7; Volume 2=7; Treble=7; Middle=7; Master and Bass= 2; EQ off.

Some people, very knowledgable, told me that Carlos sets everything in 7... I have never had the guts to try that!!! :)
Regards
Daniel

I recall seeing a clip of Santana a couple of years ago from the Woodstock film and he was playing a SG with P90s. I also have a book Guitar Legends by Chris Gill of Guitar Player magazine where he writes about all of the guitars Carlos has used through the years. That list includes a '63 SG, '68 Les Paul, a late '60 SG played at Woodstock, several other Les Pauls and SGs including a three-pickup SG custom. In the early '70s he played a Gibson L-6S that featured a 6-position rotary switch for tonal variations. He then went on and started endorsing Yamaha guitars, including a Yamaha SG-2000. In the '80s he switched to Paul Reed Smith guitars. Chris Gill states that his favorite PRS guitars were built between '79 and '81, and are equipped Gibson PAF humbuckers! This book has a 1995 copyright.

Just put a set of GT6V6 #5's in my Mark I and I am definately getting the magic sound. Best $60.00 I ever spent!
-Paul

Ken j said:
He then went on and started endorsing Yamaha guitars, including a Yamaha SG-2000. In the '80s he switched to Paul Reed Smith guitars. Chris Gill states that his favorite PRS guitars were built between '79 and '81, and are equipped Gibson PAF humbuckers! This book has a 1995 copyright.

I don't know if Santana has actually appeared on any Yamaha SG-2000 ads. I remember reading from somwhere (possibly the Santana comic book that came out around the late 80s-early '90s) that the ones he used back in the Moonflower-era were Yamaha SG-175 custom built for him. Along with the elaborate inlays, they had 24 frets (standard issue SG-175 had 22) and were fitted with old Gibson PAF pickups supplied by Santana. I guess the man loved them PAFs. :lol:

does anyone have any clips of a mkI??

also iv heard its possible to get very close to the santana sound with a tube screamer in front of an amp.

Also according to Guitar Legends by Chris Gill, Carlos used Fender Twin Reverbs on early records. In the mid '70s he started using Boogies. He "has owned several Boogie amps through the years including an early Mark I combo and a Mark IV head which he currently favors for live performance. He also uses an early-'70s 100-watt Marshall onstage for distorted rhythms. The amps are connected to small open-back cabinets loaded with a single 12-inch Altec speaker."

Chris states that Carlos has never been a fan of effects. Quoting Carlos "Gadgets sound too generic". His current effects are Ibanez and Boss chorus pedals, and Morley wah-wah pedals. "He has also used DOD and Ibanez octave dividers and a Cry Baby wah."

Keep in mind this has a 1995 copyright.

Like all of us he has definately used some different gear through the years.

For me I am pretty comfortable with saying that Classic Santanna sound came from a Mark I Boogie. That sound can be gotten from a number of different Amps but there are some Amps that really wouldnt get it at all. Like you couldnt get it from an AC30 but you could get fit rom a Twin Reverb. Its prety much a given it would require Humbuckers and Mahogany.

It could even be coaxed out of a Dumble but he has that because of a late Mid Life Crisis not because of Tone. :lol: Its like me going out and buying a Corvette. The speed limit dosnt change when I do.

Santanna will never get away from Santanna's Sound/Tone unless he does something drastic like Playing a Telecaster through an AC30 Clean.

I've read somewhere that Carlos got in contact with SRV's guitar tech and he is trying now to play a Stratocaster with a Tubescreamer in front of the amp so he can keep his famous sustain without needing to play so loud.
Regards
Daniel

I know SRV's old amp tech was Caesar Dias, who did his amps and pedals. Caesar has since passed away. I would love to hear Carlos play a Strat. I used to live a couple of blocks from Carlos's dad and see him go for walks in the neighborhood before he passed away. I also used to practice and jam at a house that was next door from the house that Carlos used to jam at when he was still going to Mission High School in S.F. I have always been a big fan and have seen him use Les Pauls, SG;s Yamaha 2000s and PRS's but I am not sure if I can remember him using a Strat live. I am sure he must have at some time though.

I have never seen him playing a Strat. I have just read somewhere that, on Cesar Diaz advice, he was NOW trying to play a Strat throught a Tubescreamer in order to lower his stage volume.

igfraso said:
I have never seen him playing a Strat. I have just read somewhere that, on Cesar Diaz advice, he was NOW trying to play a Strat throught a Tubescreamer in order to lower his stage volume.

I think the word "Now" would be very old by now. Both SRV and CD have been gone from this world for some time.

I doubt that Carlos had not ever played a Strat and a Tube Screamer at some point in his career. In fact I did see an old pic of him with a Strat. Carlos has pretty much played it all through the years. IMO anyone playing a Strat is not going to get the Santana Sound. A stock Tube Screamer aint gonna do it either. With a Tube Screamer the bottom falls out when engaged however a Turbo Tube Screamer and a Les Paul/PRS would probably get him close.

Just my 2 cents though.

The older, big box version of the Aramat Green Machine does everything that the original Tube Screamer does and better. It uses the same chip too. Don't ask me why I ever sold it. I hadn't used it for a while. Someone came by to try it. It sounded fantastic and I knew then that I was making a BIG mistake. Oh well.

Latest posts

Back