Sacrilege

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantstepjoe

Reaction score
My Roadster is awesome but I'm still having a really hard time finding my lead sound in it. This may seem sacrilegious to say but I feel the lead tone I'm getting from my '74 Fender twin and Blackstar ht dual pedal is so much better than what i'm getting from my Roadster and it seems like I've tried everything. The pedal and the twin is so articulate and fluid for leads and tight and crunchy for rythms. -it's really hard to tell that its not a high gain amp in fact it sounds very similar to a Mark. I think that regardless of how great the roadster is and how much it continues to amaze me with it's versatility that it's just not the amp for me. I just can't seem to get my tone from it. I think its time to sell it and get a Mark V or just sell it and rock the Twin and Blackstar rig. Thoughts?

I feel EXACTLY the same about my roadster, I don't know if i should just try to add stuff to it or get a whole new amp its frustrating sometimes. It seems like that's going around a lot lately as well people jumping roadster ship like crazy maybe its not just me....I don't know. For me it was just one day a couple weeks ago i turn on my amp play for a little while and thought to myself: "I just..don't like this anymore".

giantstepjoe said:
My Roadster is awesome but I'm still having a really hard time finding my lead sound in it. This may seem sacrilegious to say but I feel the lead tone I'm getting from my '74 Fender twin and Blackstar ht dual pedal is so much better than what i'm getting from my Roadster and it seems like I've tried everything. The pedal and the twin is so articulate and fluid for leads and tight and crunchy for rythms. -it's really hard to tell that its not a high gain amp in fact it sounds very similar to a Mark. I think that regardless of how great the roadster is and how much it continues to amaze me with it's versatility that it's just not the amp for me. I just can't seem to get my tone from it. I think its time to sell it and get a Mark V or just sell it and rock the Twin and Blackstar rig. Thoughts?

Definitely try a Mark V. I'm sure there are people who bought a Mark V who would rather play through a Roadster. Maybe you can swap with one of them?

I think, if you can't get the tone that you want from the amp and even with adding pedals or other items to the signal chain, then time to move on. If the twin and blackstar pedal combination works for you, then use it since it's what makes you feel good and happy. There are times that I wonder with all the tweaking with mesa amps, it seems counterintuitive to be constantly tweaking instead of just a few turns of a few knobs and it sounds good to you.

For me, the amp that has the simplest controls and able to achieve a good sound/tone would be an ideal amp. I have a Mark 4 and God knows it's a tweakers amp, turned out, i just used the recommended settings on the amp and gig with it. Even with the Triaxis, I just use a few presets and it sounds good, then go and gig with it.

I think one shouldn't feel despair by switching to another amp whether it's brand loyalty or what not, just get that useable tone in your head and go with it.

That's what makes music/playing food for the soul, we all have different tastes/tones in our head, if it works for you or for what you are doing, then you're on the right track, no matter what reviews or others say about amps, pedals, guitars, etc.

Good Luck.

I fought the same lead tone battle with my Roadster, and wound up ditching it for a Mark V. MUCH better for me.

gummx97 said:
I think, if you can't get the tone that you want from the amp and even with adding pedals or other items to the signal chain, then time to move on. If the twin and blackstar pedal combination works for you, then use it since it's what makes you feel good and happy. There are times that I wonder with all the tweaking with mesa amps, it seems counterintuitive to be constantly tweaking instead of just a few turns of a few knobs and it sounds good to you.

For me, the amp that has the simplest controls and able to achieve a good sound/tone would be an ideal amp. I have a Mark 4 and God knows it's a tweakers amp, turned out, i just used the recommended settings on the amp and gig with it. Even with the Triaxis, I just use a few presets and it sounds good, then go and gig with it.

I think one shouldn't feel despair by switching to another amp whether it's brand loyalty or what not, just get that useable tone in your head and go with it.

That's what makes music/playing food for the soul, we all have different tastes/tones in our head, if it works for you or for what you are doing, then you're on the right track, no matter what reviews or others say about amps, pedals, guitars, etc.

Good Luck.

Good Advice! Thanks.

This is why I bought a Mark V rather than a Roadster. I have always found it a struggle to get a good high gain soloing tone out of a DR. Adding an overdrive or boost in front of the amp helps (and I don't have a problem with resorting to boosts), but it's still not ideal.

I wish I had the option of a Mark V when I was shopping for my amp but I bought my Roadster in Dec of 07 when the Mark V wasn't out yet. It was down to the Roadster or a Mark IV and I felt that the Roadster was overall more versatile so I chose that. If the Mark V had been out at the time I think I would have picked it instead.

I've been using Dual Rectifiers since 2003. Still can't get a great lead tone out of them. Best I can pull off is passable.

The Mark V on the other hand I had an outstanding lead tone within a couple of minutes.

It comes down to the voicing of the amps. Rectifiers have their upper mids notched down. It gives them a heavy, yet sort of laid back sound. Marks have those upper mids, and thus are very in your face and sing like horny angel.

screamingdaisy said:
I've been using Dual Rectifiers since 2003. Still can't get a great lead tone out of them. Best I can pull off is passable.

The Mark V on the other hand I had an outstanding lead tone within a couple of minutes.

It comes down to the voicing of the amps. Rectifiers have their upper mids notched down. It gives them a heavy, yet sort of laid back sound. Marks have those upper mids, and thus are very in your face and sing like horny angel.

Ya, the rectos just have a kind of thin and brittle lead tone, hmm? Have you tried dialing in a lead tone on the orange channel set to vintage? In my opinion, that felt much better to play than the red channel. I mean it is still a recto but it is better. My only real beef with the Mark series is that the tone sounds dated to my ears. I really like a more British crunch, hence why the Electra Dyne appeals to me so much. I tried a Marshall JCM2000 TSL100 and while I really like the tone, I dial in something that sounds very similar to what I get out of my Dual so there really isn't any point in trading. I'll just snag another amp sometime in the future so I have whatever tools I have for different applications.

I wish I had the option of a Mark V when I was shopping for my amp but I bought my Roadster in Dec of 07 when the Mark V wasn't out yet. It was down to the Roadster or a Mark IV and I felt that the Roadster was overall more versatile so I chose that. If the Mark V had been out at the time I think I would have picked it instead.

I had the same problem. I bought my roadster in July of '08 and at that time thought the roadster would be more versatile. I tweaked the roadster for 2 yrs and was never really satisfied with it. I just sold it last month and got a Mark V. Like screamingdaisy stated the first night I played the Mark V in a matter of minutes I was able to dial in the tones I had been chasing with the roadster.

The best sounds I had with the roadster were channel 1 fat and channel 3 Raw for a vintage rock tone. However I have had no problem finding those same tones in the Mark V and more. For me selling the roadster and getting the Mark V was the best decision I have made gear wise. Not bashing the roadster it is a very versatile amp and is good at what it does. I just came to the realization it wasn't for me.

Drahthaar said:
I had the same problem. I bought my roadster in July of '08 and at that time thought the roadster would be more versatile. I tweaked the roadster for 2 yrs and was never really satisfied with it. I just sold it last month and got a Mark V. Like screamingdaisy stated the first night I played the Mark V in a matter of minutes I was able to dial in the tones I had been chasing with the roadster.

The best sounds I had with the roadster were channel 1 fat and channel 3 Raw for a vintage rock tone. However I have had no problem finding those same tones in the Mark V and more. For me selling the roadster and getting the Mark V was the best decision I have made gear wise. Not bashing the roadster it is a very versatile amp and is good at what it does. I just came to the realization it wasn't for me.

This is the exact experience I had with the Electra Dyne. It is like the tone I wanted was right there. The clean is jaw dropping and I love the phat sound of the vintage high gain mode. It sucks how expensive gear is and it would be way easier just to get everything right the first time. I also found I was very picky with speaker cabinets and I really had trouble picking something because nothing had the speaker combination or the sound I wanted. In the end, I built my own because it was cheaper and easier, then I traded my 4 x 12 for a bass guitar. Lately I have been shopping around for a bass head. I really like Markbass amps so I'll probably get one of those! As for the Dual, I plunked in some EL-34s and it now sounds awesome so I'll keep it and get an Electra Dyne one day. I'm sure there will be more floating around used in a few years when disgruntled metalheads are trying to offload them and purchase an ENGL instead.

YellowJacket said:
Ya, the rectos just have a kind of thin and brittle lead tone, hmm? Have you tried dialing in a lead tone on the orange channel set to vintage? In my opinion, that felt much better to play than the red channel. I mean it is still a recto but it is better.

Briefly. I've messed around with it a couple of times since you mentioned that the cloned channel 1 was warmer than channel 2 but I haven't really dedicated myself to it as I was working on something else

My only real beef with the Mark series is that the tone sounds dated to my ears.

It's instant Kirk Hammett, isn't it?

YellowJacket said:
screamingdaisy said:
It's instant Kirk Hammett, isn't it?

BAHAHAHA! Ya, if tone was a hairdo, the Mark series would be a mullet!! (I'll probably get lynched for saying that)

Mullet!!! Didn't Billy Ray Cyrus had one of those??? :lol:

I also went from Roadster into a Deuce II because of the lead voice- just wasnt there. After playing the Deuce at the store, I tried reproducing the Stiletto voice in the Roadster, which by the way, can not happen...then one day i plugged into an Electra Dyne. within 5 minutes (seriously), I had already begin unloading the Stiletto. I am still as happy and content...as are many ED owners...
I liked the V- but when paired next to an Electra Dyne, side by side, it just couldnt keep up unless you play extreme high-gain, which isnt what ED is about.
Anyways..tone is a moving target- and only you know whats best for you. And if Roadster isnt it- put it in the hands of someone whom it was made for and find your own tone elswhere....life is too short to continually "chase the dragon"

Laskyman said:
Anyways..tone is a moving target- and only you know whats best for you. And if Roadster isnt it- put it in the hands of someone whom it was made for and find your own tone elswhere....life is too short to continually "chase the dragon"

I agree, although I approach it from a slightly different angle. After having gone around the block a few times on amps and come back around to the beginning I now try to hold on to amps I clicked with. That way I (almost) always have myself covered as my tastes swing.

screamingdaisy said:
Laskyman said:

I agree, although I approach it from a slightly different angle. After having gone around the block a few times on amps and come back around to the beginning I now try to hold on to amps I clicked with. That way I (almost) always have myself covered as my tastes swing.

^^^

Solid advice above, both posts. Key to my happy tone life. I seriously love the Boogie tone. I don't have a roadster but if one pops up cheap from somebody needing bail money, I will have one. I have learned also to keep amps. This train of thought came up in another conversation this week I had with another part time gigging player.

He was going on about the excellence of his Axe. And it does sound great, do a zillion things...... But I want about 6 or 7 tones. Really.... 2 good cleans, one jazzy clean and one sort of pumped and rounded attack clean. About 5 main gain voices, SLO lead and crunch, Rivera high gain compressed, the non-master volume, the MKV has the IIC+ and IV voices I love and the MK1 I am getting to love. For what I want, I dont need an Axe. Just a few good amps and a few good effects. Gotta keep amps to build your own amp rack!

Yeah... I'd be totally down with a Triaxis/2:90 rig. Only thing holding me back is the entrance fee.

An Axe-FX seems cool and all, but it almost seems like cheating.

Back