Running the Bass HIGH on a recto?!?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try drop C#. that is what i do. years ago when i first started doing that was cause my 2 favorite guitar albums were that way. "Dirt" and "Around th Fur". diary of a madman was 1/2 step down as well, so i dropped the D from there. with 11gau. on the top it give you the heavyness without being to loose.

I have played in C# before because my favorite band Finger Eleven played in it for a while. I couldn't tell you what they play in now, but back when they were great they played in that. Good tuning as well, i might have to give it another shot though, it has been a while.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Agreed! Interesting little amp, isn't it?
tis indeed, and its going to be more interesting when I swap these new tubes in. =C= 6L6GC's

FWIW the 3 chan rectos have a passive EQ, not active.....
Can you mabye expand on the difference between active and passive for me??

Sure, no problem. Passive EQ uses resistors and capacitors to attenuate certain frequencies. It can only reduce, not increase the frequencies. Active EQ adds op-amps (operational amplifiers) to the mix. This gives gain and additional control but in somes opinion also is unatural and hifi sounding. Passive EQ is often said to be smoother, or to have more character, but this could have as much to do with transformers and tubes in the output gain section as with the passive method of equalization.

Its similar to the difference between active pickups (EMG81) and passive pickups (Seymour Duncan JB) or even active/passive bass guitars.

I guess it depends on what type of music you're playing. Running the bass high works good for a thick boomy wall of sound type thing where tightness isn't a big concern. Not so good if you're looking for a super tight percusive palm mute thrash type sound. I run the bass almost on zero and it still thumps like a mofo! If I'm boosting it I'll run the bass around 9:00-9:30 max.

I know what you mean.

I am not doing any crazy thrash...but for a authoritative, and still fairly tight setting, running the bass high gives a HUGE tone!

when i first tried those settings last year, they sounded great. it is true, the bass is controllable despite being full. i think it's because of the low gain setting and the cut mids and boosted treble, creating a bit more of a sharp attack than expected. the sound is really scooped though. it's good when you want to crank out the nasty stuff for a while and be a metalhead

i tried again tonight with being able to turn up a little bit. Not a bad sound, Not sure if it is quite what im looking for but not bad none-the-less. I don't know what it is but i just haven't seemed to be as happy with my recto as of late. Really considering looking into a Mark IV. Don't get me wrong the recto is huge, but seems as if something is missing still

Keep in mind that with the passive tone stack used in the recto (which was kinda lifted from the soldano SLO, which was kinda lifted from the Marshall JCM 800, which was kinda lifted from the Plexi, which was kinda lifted from the Bassman,...), you'll only get about 1db more bass when you turn the bass up full compared to the 12 O'clock position.

Ive had this amp 2 years in May and im just getting into its personality now. I was a bit disapointed for the first 6 months, but you here it again and again from people, read the manual give it time, share ideas, its a secretive little amp.

i tried again tonight with being able to turn up a little bit. Not a bad sound, Not sure if it is quite what im looking for but not bad none-the-less. I don't know what it is but i just haven't seemed to be as happy with my recto as of late. Really considering looking into a Mark IV. Don't get me wrong the recto is huge, but seems as if something is missing still

You may just be a Mark-man. The recto's real stage is the band, its cutting tone, it commands the rhythm section and pushes other amps in the mix to their rightful second position, this includes its expensive German opponents. For playing alone im not that impressed either honestly. Its like a caged animal

Yeah. I know what your saying, and i must say i think i have been happier with my recto in the band situation. I really don't want to get rid of it, just would like to get my hands on a Mark IV as well. That will be a long time though, as there are a few things i would like to get before another amp. Looking into a new cabinet as it could be that i don't like the sound because of the cab.

One thing I've always believed....the REAL beast inside the recto comes out with the oversized cab.

I'd give it a shot with your recto.

I also agree on the recto shining in a band situation. I don't play my recto at home anymore, as I always found the tone disappointing at low volumes. I prefer to play through my little Ibanez Toneblaster, as it's easy to setup, and sounds ok. Looking into a better practice amp though :wink:

But every band practice when I crank that beast up, I remember exactly why I love it!

Yes. I would love to get my hands on a Mesa- Oversized cab. It is just funding it that is killing me right now.

David.W said:
Ive had this amp 2 years in May and im just getting into its personality now. I was a bit disapointed for the first 6 months, but you here it again and again from people, read the manual give it time, share ideas, its a secretive little amp.

You may just be a Mark-man. The recto's real stage is the band, its cutting tone, it commands the rhythm section and pushes other amps in the mix to their rightful second position, this includes its expensive German opponents. For playing alone im not that impressed either honestly. Its like a caged animal

I love Rectos, but have you played a Diezel in a band situation? Each has their rightful place. Tone is subjective, and this isn't a competition.

oz_mike said:
Keep in mind that with the passive tone stack used in the recto (which was kinda lifted from the soldano SLO, which was kinda lifted from the Marshall JCM 800, which was kinda lifted from the Plexi, which was kinda lifted from the Bassman,...), you'll only get about 1db more bass when you turn the bass up full compared to the 12 O'clock position.

Yeap the SLO and Recto have identical tone stacks 47k/470pf and identical cathodes 1.8k/1uf. The 800 and plexi have the same tone stack (33k/500pf) and are similar to the Recto and SLO.

I love Rectos, but have you played a Diezel in a band situation? Each has their rightful place. Tone is subjective, and this isn't a competition

I havnt played a Diezel yet, cant wait to. Have played German amps. My point is that the recto is a band amp and ironically isnt so great a solo practice head.

'Tone is subjective' is such an over played card, its the biggest get outta jail free card there is, and not a point im even challenging. Recto's cut through the mix, and in a multi amp band its hard to deny.

I realize your in the middle of trading your recto for a diezel and may be sensitive, but im not trying to compete the two amps. Just pointing out the recto's strong points.

no harm intended

I read through this post and did see the other recent posts about Tremonti's EQ settings with the bass all the way up.

So last night I had band practice and decided to give it a try. We moved our rehearsal space to the bass players house 2 weeks ago so I don't have the Mesa at home any more to try any time.

Anyway I was also surprised at the results. I was under the impression it would get way to farty, but it really didn't. Definitely more boom, but it didn't fall apart and sound bad. I didn't run it like that too long, and to be honest I just wasn't in the mood to expose my ears to too much unprotected sex so I put my earplugs in and set it back to where I normally have it. I know I like the tones I have had dialed in and they sound good in the mix. I'll probably experiment more at some point.

It did seem to me though that it might be excessive when considering the whole mix and combined pieces of the band. Kind of gets back to the letting the bass player hold down the low end. Did it sound cool and hold up on the low end....yes. But is it necessary and the best EQ for the overall sound? That is where I would probably argue a bit. But then again it might depend on what you are playing and what sound you are after.

wat i find with the recto is it's SO much more a rhy amp than lead..it has the more BIG thick full wall of sound to add that masive depth in a band sistuion...my mk iv put side to side with my recto can be very alike in some sence's but the mk iv has less bass ooppff but still is as huge sounding and very rich and ALOT more tight.the mk iv on the pentode setting on the lead channel set up right can sound VERY close tone wise to the recto channel 3 modern..just ALOT tigher and clear sounding IMO...the mk iv's is a super lead amp and a wonderful tight rhy at the same time...

I am using my recto as a masive sort of of KSE rhy sound/john petrucci new rhy sounds..and my mk iv as the lead, tight rhy and clean.

BLISS A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN

i will try the extra bass becasue i normally have my bass wound back to about 10:30 on channel 3 modern and 02:00 on channel 2 vintage.

Tom

Latest posts

Back