Running the Bass HIGH on a recto?!?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So, I went back to tweaking the good of Recto during band practice today :)

For reference, I am running a 3 channel Dual Rectifier completely stock into a Mesa Standard 4x12.

So, for the hell of it, I decided to try the settings of my Idol recot user, Mr. Mark Tremonti today....they look like this:

Channel 3 Modern, Bold, Tube Rectifier

Presence: 10:30
Gain: 1:30
Master: 11
Bass: 5:00 (full)
Mids: 10:30
Treble: 1:30

Output: 11

I was actually presently surprised. After bringing the gain to 12 o'clock and bass to 3 o'clock, it was a little more to my taste, but still, I was surprised.

I have always kept the bass on my recto fairly low....about 10 o'clock, as it is a very bass heavy amp, but these settings were much different than I expected. The amp sounded much rounder and fuller...there wasn't that much more bass (I assume this is the fault of the active EQ), and it was still pretty articulate. These settings seemed to balance out the harshness quite a bit.

Kinda funny how the recommended settings have the bass running pretty high too...maybe the amp is just meant to be run this way?

My question.....has anyone else tried this? What are your findings? I'm finding the setting quite pleasant, even in a band setting...

If anyone can give it a shot and give me their findings, that would be great :D

I run the bass high on all channels of my recto, typically between 2-6, on my vintage channel it's almost full.

It sounds kinda crazy....adding bass to a bass heavy...but the amp sounds sooo much more balanced! I really like it!

As always, thanks Plat!

Anyone else?

now i can't wait to get home and try out this new thing with my amp...using my new guitar :D

ive had mine crancked the last month as well, its nice, it dosnt fart out like people say it will.

Glad to hear it! I've really noticed, that contrary to polular belief, the bass, though HUGE, is controllable :twisted:

I haven't got to give it too much time, but i also noticed that it isn't really THAT much more bassy. I will have to try it again for sure though!

David.W said:
ive had mine crancked the last month as well, its nice, it dosnt fart out like people say it will.

Yeah, i've always ran mine pretty high, but I backed off a little with the jj's, I'll probably put it back up though (between 2 and 4 o'clock). You guys will be proud of me though, my mids are past 9:00 on both distortion channels haha, no longer scooped completely lol. I love the sound i'm getting, really great, EVEN at LOW volumes!! ( I don't play it low very often, but even then it still sounds good) haha

-AJH

there alot of combinations but the urban legend that its an ultra sensitive EQ just isnt the case. Sure its responsive, but you really gotta turn things up and down to find what you like, mids included

I just went back to give it a quick run, although it is late and i can't really turn up my output and that too much. I am pretty happy with the way it sounds. I need to do something with the bass maybe not quite so high, due to on open mutes it is woofy, but i am not running a recto cab either. So tomorrow when i get a chance to really let it loose i will play with it some more and give some of my feedback!

I've done this on channel 3 vintage on my RK, its sounds pretty good for Drop D and lower tunings when I'm playing mostly power chords. My channel 4 modern settings I use a lot more often though.

Awsome sound isnt it. Im playing a Gibson custom which is a heavy deep sounding guitar already in drop-D on channel 2 modern similar to the tremonti settings, and I have a bottem end that sounds like the big spaceship horn from "Close encounters of the 3rd kind."

On channel 3 it can get even deeper to my ears, but its a brighter channel naturally and voices with a slight drop in the mids, i use it for different songs to keep things changing.

I dont know if anyone agrees or not, but what I find to be true with the EQ is that like the gain, the other settings dont seem to act like other amps. For instance when you take your gain up, it saturates as opposed to simply adding more gain, I find the bass like this, you dont get a huge amount of bass increase from 12;00>5:00 but it loosens somewhat. Presence and treble seem to breakup instead of going 'am'radio like, and so on.

i've been running it like that since 1992....hmmm, funny how you still get people to argue with ya.

maybe you will start using spongy, or am i pushin' it :lol:

JamesD wrote:
Yeah, that is what i play in mostly is Drop D, sometimes Drop C

Me too man, great tunings haha

Yes, Great Tunings indeed!

I will give spongy a try tonight along with these added tricks, and see what i get. Have nothing to lose that is the way i see it![/quote]

Latest posts

Back