Running one side of a poweramp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowYaw

Reaction score
i run only one side of my mesa 2:fifty poweramp, @ 8 Ohm
the other side has volume on "0"

basically, per user manual, that's all i need to do to play it safe
however, the thread about thin sounding pre got me worried. can somebody give a competent answer if running one side only can damage the poweramp?

What you're doing is perfectly safe and was intended to work that way by design. In the 2:90's manual, it says that when not using one side of the amp you should turn the volume all the way down and turn the presence all the way up. I'm not sure why to do that with the presence, but it is stated in the 2:90's manual.

I follow the same procedure with my 2:Fifty when only using one side, but I REALLY wish they had spent the extra $10-15 necessary to put a power and standy switch on each side. Pretty much every other stereo tube power amp does this. I'm pretty good about checking which side is plugged in, but I'm afraid I'm going to turn up the wrong side or one of my kids will turn the nice shiny knobs on daddy's rig and *poof!*, there goes the output transformer. :shock:

Back