Running in the cold

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems a bit extreme to risk the equipment to save move and setup time.

If moving/setting up is the issue, might I recommend a Stage Rig (or something similar)? I don't work for them, know them and actually, never bought anything from them, (bought mine used from a guy who used it with his Rect-O-Verb 2x12)

http://www.stagerig.com/

No idea the moving distance, conditions, amount of equip, etc. But I got one of these to make setup/tear down's take about 5 minutes for me, with my pedal train board. I have my 50 cal 1x12 on one, with an attached power strip, that plugs into my PedalTrain power supply (Dunlop I think, with AC in and out) that then plugs into the wall.

Takes longer to get the guitar out of case than it does to setup amp and board.

Stephen

Covering it will do no good.The only reason a cover keeps you warm is because you generate body heat,the cover keeps heat close to your body,your gear doesnt produce heat if it is turned off.Even if you cover it when hot,it will cool down to freezing temp in no time.It will still get very cold,you turn it on it gets hot,condensation forms before the ice cold chassis heats up.I dont know where you are getting "conflicting info" anybody that tells you it is okay to store your gear in such conditions is just ignorant.Never store your gear where you couldnt sleep.As gts said,stop trying to justify keeping it there,short of heating your barn there is no rationale in leaving it there,period.

stokes said:
Covering it will do no good.The only reason a cover keeps you warm is because you generate body heat,the cover keeps heat close to your body,your gear doesnt produce heat if it is turned off.Even if you cover it when hot,it will cool down to freezing temp in no time.It will still get very cold,you turn it on it gets hot,condensation forms before the ice cold chassis heats up.I dont know where you are getting "conflicting info" anybody that tells you it is okay to store your gear in such conditions is just ignorant.Never store your gear where you couldnt sleep.As gts said,stop trying to justify keeping it there,short of heating your barn there is no rationale in leaving it there,period.

+1 couldn't have been better said. Find a way to store the amp "out of the cold" period. Unless you are into killing perfectly good amplifiers for no apparent reason.
Jim

It's been said already, but...

The condensation (morning dew) all over the amp will "age" it very quickly.

The amp can handle the 20-80 degree temps.

dmt said:
I am going to see if i can get a large sealed tupper ware from walmart and some heavy duty dessicant and see if that works... at least to keep the moisture out.

Why don't you just mail me your gear if you hate it that much?

The other option is to purchase and install a heater in that barn. It will probably cost less than buying a new halfstack!!

Moving into a new place, gna setup the kit and gear in there. Will be nice and toasty... (and dry) I don't hate my gear, I just don't have anyplace else to jam! Hard times and no $$... and there is really no place to jam where I live. No studios or anything... thats what u get for living in bumblefuck SC.

Latest posts

Back