Running in the cold

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmt

Reaction score
I just setup my gear in a barn... nice new practice space. I am just concerned that the temps at night might not be good for the amps. Its about 20-30F at night. Any special precautions that I can take? Things to look out for? I have a Mesa Simul-Satellite and a Quad pre in there.

Well its either that or moving it from my house everytime I want to play... There is no heat... its a barn... can I cover the amps? Will that help at all? Power-on time? Damage to tubes from cold? Anything?

I always thought it was colder than that on the moon.

Seriously though, move the amp back inside. Condensation can and will cause serious problems.

+1 on condensation.

The cold will cause moisture buildup which will turn to liquid when the temps rise. This will ruin your electricals and eventually turn into rust...

Don't sign your equipments death warrants!!

In order for condensation to occur, the amp must be colder than the ambient air. If the amp can be brought to room temperture before the warmer, moist air hits it, condensation won't occur. Once the amp is the same temp as the barn air, condensation shouldn't be an issue unless the air is quickly heated with something that also increases humidity (steam heat, a humidifier, etc.) Because the barn has little protection from the outside, condensation becomes an issue when a warmer, moister weather system moves in as condensation will occur on the colder surfaces in the amp. In this situation, covering the amp may help as long as the moist air doesn't touch the amp's internal surfaces. Keeping the amp a few degrees warmer than the outside air should minimize the condensation risk.

Either way, I don't know if I'd subject my amp to the risk, nor would I want to keep my amp in a sub-freezing environment. As others have said, condensation is not a good thing for amps.

The extreme cold and hot cycles the amp goes through when you turn it on would not be good for the tubes or anything else I would imagine. Lots of expansion and contraction going on. I hate setting my house thermostat to 62 during the day while I'm at work, but I can't afford to heat my house to 70 degrees all day and night.

dodger916 said:
In order for condensation to occur, the amp must be colder than the ambient air.

It will be because the Satellite and Quad's chassis are made of metal, and the tubes are made of glass. Think of frost and glaze forming on the windshield and hood of a car overnight when the temperature drops. I dunno if the tubes would frost since they are a vacuum, but the metal chassis would definitely collect a light moisture glaze which could reform into a liquid and could sink back down into the pots and circuitboard. If the tubes do frost over, when it turns back to liquid, it could recollect in the tube sockets and start rusting out the connecting pins...

The problem will be in the morning as the air warms up and the amp is still cold. When the air hits the amp, it will shoot over to the 100% humidity zone and water will drop out onto your amp. Covering the amp wont help, unless you cover with insulation while it's warm and it stays warm (warm like no less than 15C) till the air in the barn warms up.

How much insulation are we talking about here? A thick blanket wont do? Do you mean like a sealed box w/ foam or ?

I'm just getting conflicting advice from people I've asked about this. I understand that this is a bad place to keep the amps. The best I can do is go there tmr and see if I can move them into the house there. Not sure if I can. Would it be a good idea to put the rack electronics inside as well? I just wanted to avoid moving all this stuff around constantly and setting it up over and over.

dmt said:
I'm just getting conflicting advice from people I've asked about this. I understand that this is a bad place to keep the amps. The best I can do is go there tmr and see if I can move them into the house there. Not sure if I can. Would it be a good idea to put the rack electronics inside as well? I just wanted to avoid moving all this stuff around constantly and setting it up over and over.

Rent a practice place that's heated or get a roadie. That gear should not be left out in the cold AT ALL. Don't let anyone tell you different, gear isn't cheap.

pretend you don't have a barn, then do that. most people don't have a barn and are forced to just play quiet inside. I live in Wisconsin and I don't even put my gear in the basement ( cold humid flood ect...) let alone outside. I don't even like it next to windows or heat registers but sometimes that's unfeasible

dmt said:
How much insulation are we talking about here? A thick blanket wont do? Do you mean like a sealed box w/ foam or ?
Well, since no one here (including me) is willing to subject their equipment to these extremes, it seems you're breaking fresh ground. I will echo the efforts to dissuade you from doing this.

BUT, since you ask, I'd say you'll need a sealed moisture barrier to prevent any humidity in air that is warmer than the amp surfaces from condensing in the amp. A sealed trash bag or styrofoam should work. (Of course, this doesn't account for the humidity sealed in the bag that could condense when the amp cools.) Upon firing up the freezing cold amp, I'd let it warm a bit in the moisture barrier until it is warmer than the air temp. Moisture should not condense on the hot amp surfaces, but don't let the hot tubes melt the bag!!!. You might also consider what long-term effect sub-freezing temps will have on speaker cones/voice coils, pc boards, electronic components, solder connections, etc..

PS: just say no or that trash bag might find a second use.

Never store your amp where you would not store your guitar...
... or your dog. :wink:

I am going to see if i can get a large sealed tupper ware from walmart and some heavy duty dessicant and see if that works... at least to keep the moisture out.

dmt said:
I am going to see if i can get a large sealed tupper ware from walmart and some heavy duty dessicant and see if that works... at least to keep the moisture out.

Wouldnt it just be easier to move it back in after playing? Especially when you have to seal it air tight after every playing session.

Latest posts

Back