Running dual recto @ 50 watts

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRocksUSA

Reaction score
will it make the tone less desirable?

kinda contemplating doing it since I mostly play in my house.

IMO, not worth it. The difference between 50 and 100 is not that much. 50 is still hella loud.

Invest in a good attenuator.

hmm...to be honest, i've never cranked out loud at 100w, but at 50 watts i've gone as far as about 1oclock on the master volume. of course i walked out of the room. but man, i don't even think randall smith himself knew it could sound so incredible. the biggest difference i notice is with the clean. it suffers when you cut to 50w. i think when you crank as loud as i did there probably is a difference by a few decibels.

There's not that much difference.... I played 1 set at 50wts and then put it back up to 100wts and told the sound man to be prepared to pull me down since I just went up 50 watts. I hit my first chord and really couldn't tell a difference :? . The main difference is the cleans did have a bit more headroom (which was no biggie for me since I liked the slight break up)but the didn't have as much "sponginess" as in the 100wt mode. The main advantage I found was it saved on tubes in the long run :wink:

nocluejimbo said:
THD Hotplate or the Dr. Z Airbrake.

I have 2 8 ohm cabs

I have cables running from 2 4 ohm outputs into the cabs

so what ohm hotplate do I need?

also, with the hotplate would I be using 1 output and I'm assuming the hotplate has 2 outputs for my cabs right?

oh I think I've got it

would I do this?

4ohm output ---->16 ohm attenuator (with 2 8 ohm outputs)--->2 8 ohm cabs

I got this from the manual, but i'm assuming that a "series box" is an attenuator.

?

series box is NOT an attenuator. a series box combines the two cabs together in a Series circuit, to have an overall higher Ohm load. Which can be found by adding the two individual Ohm loads of the cabinets together... 8 ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab in a series box = 16 ohm load

ChrisRocksUSA said:
oh I think I've got it

would I do this?

4ohm output ---->16 ohm attenuator (with 2 8 ohm outputs)--->2 8 ohm cabs

I got this from the manual, but i'm assuming that a "series box" is an attenuator.

?

Hi, noob here. I called THD recently with a similar question, about my 8 ohm Hotplate. I got a nice explanation of how these things work. The two speaker jacks on the back of the hotplate are in parallel, just like the multiple speaker jacks on most amps. Putting two 8 ohm cabs in parallel makes a 4 ohm load. So if you plan to plug two 8 ohm cabs into a Hotplate, you should get the 4 ohm model, and use it with a 4 ohm speaker output on your amp. Basically, the impedance of the cabs together, the attenuator, and the amp speaker output should all match each other. If you had a series box to put the 8 ohm cabs in series, that would make a 16 ohm load, so you'd want to connect that load to a single speaker jack on the back of a 16 ohm attenuator, and plug the attenuator into a 16 ohm speaker output on the amp. Hope that makes sense.

Doesn't using more than one cab somewhat defeat the purpose of an attenuator? Adding cabs usually increases volume, even with the same amp settings, right? Are the tonal benefits really worth it, over one cab, given the volume "problem?" Just food for thought. I haven't played through a full stack in many moons. It sure was fun though. 8)

Stratobanger said:
Doesn't using more than one cab somewhat defeat the purpose of an attenuator? Adding cabs usually increases volume, even with the same amp settings, right? Are the tonal benefits really worth it, over one cab, given the volume "problem?" Just food for thought. I haven't played through a full stack in many moons. I sure was fun though. 8)

I will have to look into it, but I dont believe it will make much of a difference with the attenuator.

I think the volume difference after using an attenuator with a second cab will be minimal

Back