Running a 2nd EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cragginshred

Reaction score
Got the MV last night and after some initial frustration it is getting dialed. I am finding a 2nd slightly scooped eq pedal for the light to heavy overdrive is very good at shaping the tone. my question is currently it is in the effects loop with my tC nova, is this where it should be or would it be more effectve in the front of the amp where i am running a BB preamp with good tones on top of all 3 channels?? By the way the Andy Timmons tones are happening with the BB on top of both the fat clean and the edge in channel two with both the amps qq and a boss 7band....pretty psyched so far!

It will shape the sound of the amp in the loop, and the sound of the guitar run in front. Much more versatile in the loop. I ran an MXR 10 band briefly, but removed it once I got everything dialed in to my satisfaction.

Dude

If you feel you need a second eq for the amp then maby you should consider another amp. Not trying to be funny but for me personally if I felt the need to buy all kinds of crap to alter the sound of my amp, well I'd look elsewhere in the amp department.

Hope you find what you are looking for

Geiri

Just keep experimenting, you will find tones that work for you. I have had my Mark V for two months, and finally came up with settings on all three channels that work well for me. I use the preset EQ on channel one, no EQ at all on two, and the sliders on three. The tone controls are very interactive, you can get all kinds of different flavors from them before bringing the EQ options into the equation.

I wasn't unhappy with what I had going on for two months, but the other night I decided to goof around with it in the living room while watching TV, and wound up with three settings that I REALLY like.

Geiri, i disagree. if there is a need to fine tune your tone with another eq, especially a 10 band with more freq range, i dont think thats cause for looking for another amp, its just wanting to fine tune for performance. or maybe use the 10 band for one channel and the 5 band onboard for another channel (diff settings of course)...

plus didnt metallica and many others use a parametric eq after there amps?

dmcguitar said:
Geiri, i disagree. if there is a need to fine tune your tone with another eq, especially a 10 band with more freq range, i dont think thats cause for looking for another amp, its just wanting to fine tune for performance. or maybe use the 10 band for one channel and the 5 band onboard for another channel (diff settings of course)...

indeed they did/do. Mainly another eq would be used to get rid of unwatned fuzz, tighten up an already tight as hell distortion. Like many said just fool with it, if you do have another eq layin around then by all means. Im still trying to figure out a perfect setup with pedals, settings and ****. But once u get it dialed in your ready to tear some assholes with it

pathos45 said:
dmcguitar said:

indeed they did/do. Mainly another eq would be used to get rid of unwatned fuzz, tighten up an already tight as hell distortion. Like many said just fool with it, if you do have another eq layin around then by all means. Im still trying to figure out a perfect setup with pedals, settings and sh!t. But once u get it dialed in your ready to tear some assholes with it

Ok dudes I stand corrected

But it's probably that I find myself using less and less outboard gear as I progress my journey into mesa amps. And maby cause I spent 4 hours at my local mesa dealer the other day tearing it up on a MK V and found the amp absolutely stellar on it's on.

And as I think about it, I found the preset knobs on the V horrendous so that in itself would justify another eq.

Peace

Geiri

I agree. Running pedal in front of the amp and in the loop and more eq's... sounds like someone would prefer a modeler amp or an axe fx.

I have an MXR 10 band in my loop, I use it just to fool around and see what sounds I can drum up. Most of the time I bypass it, but occasionally I fire it up to get that ultra-scooped metal tone. Mostly just for fun for me, but I see nothing wrong with doing whatever the hell you want to do with your amp. Enjoy it, that's what it's all about!

Geiri said:
And as I think about it, I found the preset knobs on the V horrendous so that in itself would justify another eq.

I'm not too crazy about the presets, either, but just a touch works well on channel one.

Lately I have been experimenting with using the sliders on all three channels, and fine tuning with the tone stacks. Just to see what comes out, mainly...

Latest posts

Back