rotating power tubes, anyone ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ja22y

Reaction score
Just thought about this and see what you guys think:
I have a LSS and I play the 15w (2 tubes) on ch 1, and I crank ch 2 5w (single tube), and hardly use all 4 tubes. So over time the tubes would wear unevently. I usually change the whole set when it's time.
So I'm thinking of rotating the tubes, like this: every 3 months swap the L and R outside pair. every 6 months swap the inside pair with the outside pair. In this way after a year all 4 should be evenly used.
thoughts ?

I'd like to know the same. With my Roadster, I think I'll most always play Spongy @ 50W, so I wouldn't be using all the tubes at all. Should I rotate mine as well?

DeFrag said:
I'd like to know the same. With my Roadster, I think I'll most always play Spongy @ 50W, so I wouldn't be using all the tubes at all. Should I rotate mine as well?

Same here. I like Spongy much better than Bold... It won't hurt to rotate them... The amp is about 6 months old now...

I just swapped my 2 outside tubes with each other after 3 weeks of use in my LSS, I plan on swapping my inside tube with my outside tube in 3 weeks- and so on.

I guess I feel it is a good idea :D

Honestly, it seems like more trouble than its worth.

Edward

edward said:
Honestly, it seems like more trouble than its worth.

Edward

I agree. One of the reasons I'm moving to a Roadster is I'm tired of pulling 2 power tubes and a rectifier tube in my 2CH.

FYI I do rotate both inner and outer pairs and rectifier tubes each week.

I used to rotate my tubes in my lonestar. About every six months when I get new power tubes I would put the old on the outside (50 watt) and the new on the inside (100 watt ) That way my amp was always covered under Mesa's warranty if a tube went south. By the way, keep all your receipts when you buy tubes as proof.

There is already a thread about rotating tubes in a LSS.

nukernoone started it. (LSS Well Built)

He rotates his by driving the amp down stairs!

Yuk, yuk.......

Just kidding, gang.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Latest posts

Back