Roadster????????????????????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papersoul

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have to get out and try a Roadster. I am looking for a versatile modern amp to cover great cleans, heavy rhythm and thick, smooth lead tones. Can the Roadster do this without an external boost?

I need to get into a store to find one to play.

I was thinking of buying an Egnater MOD50, then realized I should get the real thing if I want a Boogie or Marshall. From what I am told the Roadster has a girthier tone than the JVM so I think I'll check this out and go this route. I also looked into the H&K Triamp but I like the distinct tones of Marshall and Boogie.

Are the effects loops assignable or at least footswitchable?
One thing I wasn't sure of from the manual is if I can run a 4ohm mono cabinet?

Thoughts on the Roadster??

Thanks!

Well, I own a Roadster Head and I think it pretty much covers everything you are looking for. I have heard people say that the lead tone is lacking, but I have never had a problem with it! The amp does have 4 channels, and you can always use channel 4 for the crushing rhythm and channel 3 with more presence and the tube rectification for the lead tone.

The effects loop is footswitchable and you have the ability to turn them on or off for each channel individually through a dip switch for each channel on the back.

You should have no problem running a 4ohm cabinet.... in the back of the manual it shows a single 4 ohm cabinet into the 4 ohm input.

I have had my Roadster for almost a year now and I am still in love with it. I find it versatile enough for any type of music I play (which ranges from hendrix and the beatles to slayer and metallica). I have tried the JVM out last month and although it has alot of options and great compatibility with midi out of the box, I wouldn't even put it in the same league as my Roadster.

I guess you just have to take my opinion for what it is... my personal opinion. All I know is I have no problem getting a singing solo sound out of it... maybe not the same at apartment levels, I mean a killer singing sound at volume with a band. Once the volume goes up this baby really comes alive and the gain control comes down, and with that comes the ability to control the EQ better.

Hope this helps a bit... I have a video on youtube... the master isn't loud and the quality isn't the best (I used my sony cybershot) but it will give you at least a bit of an idea how the different channels can sound. Don't mind the sloppy playing, it was more to show the channels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ8yIJoCP74

Thanks for the info!!!!

Wow, you get Hendrix tones? With no Marshall? :D

I need to spend some time with one. I had an older dual Rec for a while but was not happy with the clean tone but I hear the clean on the Roadster is stellar.

I also thought some of the newer Rectifiers did not sound as smooth and warm as the older ones but many, many have said this Roadster is better.

Finally, one thing that bothers me is the lack of an adjustable bias. This kind of forces me to get new tubes right away that are of a hotter grade to try and get the bias up a bit and warmer. Mesas can be cold.

I won't go and say I was able to get "hendrix tones"... lol, i play a few Hendrix tunes and I can get pretty close, maybe not close for tone purists, but for me it's good enough... besides alot of the tone is in your hands... my buddy played through my head the other day and it sounded completely different then when I grabbed my guitar... anyway, I am glad to I could lend my own insight into the matter for you. I have to say I enjoy the Roadster far more than the dual because the clean channels are alot better. Much more versatility in my opinion. I was just playing "escape" by Metallica off of ride the lightening and I know how many people will say only a Mark IIc+ will get that tone... well I don't care because the tone I was getting was pretty **** crushing right now!!!... anyway hope you make the right decision with regards to the right amp for you, but I really don't think you can go wrong with Roadster if you love that recto sound like I do but need to play more than just heavy riffs all the time.

Thanks man, I am really looking at about 4 amps right now. H&K Triamp, Marshall JVM, Mesa Roadster and Egnater MOD 50.

If you like marshall tones run and by a JVM if not I like the the MKIV a lot better then the RS. I have owned the JVM and the MKIV both great amps IMHO. The lead sound in the mkIV and JVM is killer. The RS left me cold, one other thinkg is the MKIV like all boogies will be harder to dial in then the Marshall. You can set everything on the JVM to 12 oclock and get great tone(not kidding).

Sorry but, forget the Mark IV (my educated opinion...I went shopping a while ago and MIV just did nothing for me - weird but true, given all the glowing testimonials I had seen).
Roadster covers an amazing amount of ground very very well. Mid and high gain tones for rock and metal are great, I've had so many compliments on tone. I think the recto is the epitome of "thick" tone.
It should be emphasized the cleans are really all they say they are, they slay any other "primarily high gain" amp definitely and even more moderate gain amps too.
I have found the FX loop is good.
There is also a huge amount of "customizability" in terms of tubes, rectification, wattage, beyond just 6L6 vs. EL34 (for example I am running a quad of 6V6/KT77 on EL34 setting right now).
Good luck with your amp hunting.

Actually Ride the Lightning was recorded on Marshalls. I used to nail everything prior to Master of Puppets on my '88 JCM800 2210.

I am hoping to get out and play a Roadster and put it against a JVM. I am on the fence with a ton of amps...MOD50, Triamp MK II, Roadster, Mark IV, and JVM. I am leaning toward the Roadster because I am a Boogie guy but I fear I will still need a boost for leads. Can you get a thick, smooth lead? If not, it might make sense to go with a two channel amp and an external boost.

I like amps that are not a pain to dial in but if it sounds better...I can deal. Maybe I'll get a used Roadster and if I don't like it....look for something else. Maybe I'll end up with a RS and MARK IV!

I would love a Triamp MKII but they don't have that distinct voice even though they sound great!

I am still considering an Egnater MOD50. Apparently Bruce made his Marshall and Mesa versions without some of the harsh highs and upper mids so they are smoother,darker. But sometimes Mesas and Marshalls just cut better.

A buddy of mine said the JVM is one of the few modern high gain amps that does not require a boost for leads. I would think with four channels you wouldn't need one on the RS or even the H&K Triamp.

Another friend played the JVM for a while and said he found it really thin at high volumes and very noisey/messy sounding.

I'm a full on Marshall guy but I would rather have a Roadster than a JVM. The JVM sounds like the same channel put through slightly more stages of gain as you go up through the modes and it's grainy in the upper frequencies in my opinion. Granted the footswitch and all the switching is brilliant, especially using a regular 1/4" cable.

I like that the roadster really has distinct sounds in each channel. I might be the opposite to you though in that I really dig the tweed and british settings and have a harder time dialing in the "recto" sounds. Probably the Marshall in me.

I definitely found with the Triple Rec (2 channel) I owned a while back that the louder the amp got the more the knobs stayed around noon. Maybe it's the same with Roadster. Defintely maxing the channel masters on the lower to medium gain settings makes quite an impact on the "kick" or bite.

I've been playing the same 1978 Marshall 2203 for 10 years and just don't think Marshall has made a new amp that eclipses it. I'll take my 2203 and some pedals anyday over a DSL, VM or the JVM.

Boogie is making some amps that intrigue me like the Lonestar Special and the Roadster.

I have to agree with what Skoora said. The JVM, although a very nice head with many options available, only seems to have alot of the same sound for each channel with varying degrees. With the "Tweed" and "Brit" options on channels one and two of the Roadster, you have sonic differences that should cover alot of ground. Especially when you allow the Roadster to "breath" a bit by turning the **** thing up a bit. I am still very impressed by the versatility of this head because I can control the EQ of each channel and get very close to what I need with each channel. I am not trying to be biased because I played a Mark IV the other day and I was in sonic heavan with the ripping lead channel... but if you like the sound of a Recto and want a little more versatility, then I don't think you can go wrong with the Roadster.

Thanks guys! The build of the JVM also scares me! I haven't had an old Marshall in years but I remember it being a pain because it was so loud and noisey....plus I always needed a boost for rhyth mand lead. Maybe your 2203 is different?

The Roadster is more than tempting but so is the Mark IV, Triamp Mark II and Egnater MOD50. LOL! The Egnater with the extreme versatility is extremely tempting.

papashango said:
Especially when you allow the Roadster to "breath" a bit by turning the **** thing up a bit.

That is true. I'm shopping for an amp too, and yesterday I spent 2 hours at the store with a 3ch Dual Rec, a Roadster and Mark IV. I didn't had enough time to test the RS thoroughly (I'll do when I go back to the store today after work), but I did give the Dual Rec a good run.

Many people will know this already but what it came down to is that the Recto really revealed itself and started loosing the top end fizziness/buzziness with the volume cranked. Fizziness went down as I went up in volume. Since the RS is based on the Rectos I guess the same rule applies.

As far as I know the Road King's and Roadster's channel 3 & 4 Vintage mode is supposed to be the 'original' Recto sound (according to the manual anyway). However one thing I noticed is the RS seemed to have less fizziness to start with (at least on channel 3, Vintage mode) than the Dual Rec at the same volume level.

The Mod50 seems like an awesome idea. There's cool videos at Indoor storm's site of it being played and it does sound good. It's probably a case of sounding like the originals but when you put up the original in a direct A/B comparison the difference would be obvious....but not necessarily a bad difference.
If it was cheaper I would try it. Plus the modules are very expensive if you want to get more. But then being able to change your amp if your not happy is pretty cool.

I do wish though that the places that demo boutique gear wouldn't all just play the same Robben Fordish, fusionesque style. Playing every amp like it's a dumble or something. I need to hear some aggressive pick attack dammnit!! Make that amp spank!

Cool bro! Let us know! I am really tempted to buy a used Egnater Mod 50 but to me they are unproven. Mesas and Marshalls are well proven and retain value.

I need to play a Roadster. It sounds awesome. I am hoping I can get a lead tone without a boost.

I was also looking at the H&K Triamp.

H & K ? seriously ? i think if you actually played a tri-amp you woudn't even be asking this question...unless you aint got the 3 G's it takes to trade for one. that beast is the sickest, phatest amp on the planet. JVM doesn't compare to any of the amps you are talking so don't waste your time. lot of dough for channel 1 and a bunch other thin fizzy channels.

papashango, dude nice roadster tones. like 'em. i laugh at people that say they can't get lead tones from a rect. Moe-rons. hey, i also have a little tip for that junky jackson you got there. pop in a new vol. & tone pots (usa) and better cap. and put a duncan PATB-2 in the bridge. that is the secret to success in any jackson. 100 bennys and you will have some tone.

that ones free, and you know if it comes from me it's money ! :lol:

BENNY said:
H & K ? seriously ? i think if you actually played a tri-amp you woudn't even be asking this question...unless you aint got the 3 G's it takes to trade for one. that beast is the sickest, phatest amp on the planet. JVM doesn't compare to any of the amps you are talking so don't waste your time. lot of dough for channel 1 and a bunch other thin fizzy channels.

papashango, dude nice roadster tones. like 'em. i laugh at people that say they can't get lead tones from a rect. Moe-rons. hey, i also have a little tip for that junky jackson you got there. pop in a new vol. & tone pots (usa) and better cap. and put a duncan PATB-2 in the bridge. that is the secret to success in any jackson. 100 bennys and you will have some tone.

that ones free, and you know if it comes from me it's money ! :lol:

What are you getting at with the H&K? Are you saying it kills the Egnater MOD or the Roadster? Not necessarily. Taste is personal and some people may prefer the Mesa to the Triamp. I know guys who definitely enjoy the Mesas over the Triamp.

Well, I've had a Roadking that I thought was amazing but with a horrible clean channel and a very dissapointing channel 2. I sold it and bought a Roadster. The channel 1 is amazing really. Channel 2 is really great to my surprise! Very nice tone... Channel 4 is pretty much the same and chanel 3 too with a difference: THE LEAD TONE! I've tried a lot and I just don't find it. Don't missunderstand me. It sounds crazy good but the feeling is just no right. I supose the difference is L34s. I use to blend them with the 6L6 in this channel and the difference is huge. So for those looking for a solo amp this should be tested with care... This can actually be something to consider. I may sell the amp if i don't find this sound. And sometimes I think I won't find it...

Latest posts

Back