Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedB4Black

Reaction score
My wife just called me. There is a Roadster now sitting in my house and I'm stuck here at work for another half hour. :(

I can't wait to get home an plug it in.

Anyone have any good tips/tricks they'd care to share?

mhenson42 said:
My wife just called me. There is a Roadster now sitting in my house and I'm stuck here at work for another half hour. :(

The Gods are punishing you ! You must have done something naughty recently .

Start with all the settings at 12:00 o'clock and let us know if it pops when switching channels with footswitch.

I didn't get to play a whole lot tonight. But I'm very pleased thus far -exactly what I was looking for. The first time I stepped on the footswitch it had a very faint pop (channel 3) after that, I didn't have any popping on the channels when I switched them. I probably wouldn't have notice the pop when I first step on it had I not looking to hear it. BTW- I bought the amp used. It was purchased new back in August 2006.

Here are some pics along with my other amps.

P6010038.jpg

P6010037.jpg

Sick setup! all you need is a Mesa cab to compliment the others. You have my dream rig amp and cab wise all your missing is the Pitbull and the Soldano...

what type of FX are you runnin?

Cheers!

You also have my dream rig. What made you go for the Herbert and not the VH4?

Congrats to that fantastic rig!! Not bad!! What kind of music do you play and what do you use the Roadster for? How about the versatility of that monster? What do you use the other amps for?

Dude you could be my hero! :D

I´ve got also a Herbert and I miss something, so I´m thinking about getting a Mesa.

Could you compare the herbert and the roadster a bit for me please?
(feel free to send me a PM :wink: )

Thanks guys. I mostly play metal and 70's era Kiss. I like the Mesa amps in the vintage mode for the Kiss stuff. The Diezel can do it on Channel 2 + mode but it has a more modern tone and it's a little more compressed.

I don't play in a band. I'm just a hobbiest who likes to jam with friends so its good to have 2 full half stacks. The Diezel and Uber are with me for life. I just sold VHT Ultralead and a Mesa Single Rectifier. I loved the single rec so much that I decided to upgrade it to the Roadster.

I've been through alot of amps in the last year but I think I'm finally completely happy with all my gear. I may buy a Soldano Avenger and/or a Mako Dorado next just to try. I don't really need all the crap I have, I just enjoy trying new stuff.

digi said:
Sick setup! all you need is a Mesa cab to compliment the others. You have my dream rig amp and cab wise all your missing is the Pitbull and the Soldano...

what type of FX are you runnin?

Cheers!

I just sold my Ultra-Lead (best amp ever for leads). Cool amp but I had Roadster GAS. I want to try an Avenger at some point. I played one in a store for a couple of minutes and really liked it. Here is a pic of my FX rack. Rocktron Xpression and a TC G-Sharp. I'm actually going to sell the G-sharp because I've never really used it. It's not even hooked up right now. LOL

I also have an Analogman moded Maxon OD9 that I use as a clean boost from time to time. I'm looking to buy a good wah pedal. I'm thinking about a RMC Wizard Wah.

P5170007.jpg

barneyc4 said:
What made you go for the Herbert and not the VH4?

I've never played a VH4. I was a Guitar Center in Atlanta and they had 2 Herberts. I played one and immediately fell in love. It's the best amp I've ever played. I got home and sold off alot of gear so I could buy one. The Herbert is supposed to be more metal oriented. I can still cop a pretty sweet Tool tone and Adam uses VH4s.

Bierschinken said:
Could you compare the herbert and the roadster a bit for me please?
(feel free to send me a PM :wink: )

I haven't played the Roadster enough to give a fair comparison. But the Mesa (vintage channel 3/4) definately has less compressed, more organic tone than the Herbert. In Modern mode is comparable to the Herbert with the mid-cut engaged. The Herbert is much tighter and thicker with even more low end than the Mesa (not that the Mesa's low end is lacking). The Herbert has such a unique voicing as well. Nothing on the Roadster that I've played so far comes close to Channel 2 + mode of the Herbert. That is what does it for me.

Yeah, the low end of the herbert is sometimes even too much...

Our bands style has changed over the last few weeks. We´ve played a lot thrashmetal stuff which the herbert served really well but now we play a lot more melodic, not so heavy stuff and because of this the low end is sometimes too much. If you´re going for a slight overdriven sound for crunchy arpeggios the herbert always has too much oomph and power, it never sounds nice and warm.

In addition to that I´ve got the feeling that for playing singing leads the herbert isn´t the best amp. It sometimes doesn´t feel smooth n stuff...u know?

Don´t know if you feel the same?
You know the single, so do you think a rectifier (single, dual, roadster -whatever) will serve my needs better?

Smooth and singing leads sound like a Mark IV to me. The Mark IV also covers your thrash needs. Check one out if you can.

mhenson42 said:

If your wife went out and got you the amp, I seriously need to hook up with her sister. I have never had a woman do that. That sounds too good to be true.

Russ said:
mhenson42 said:

If your wife went out and got you the amp, I seriously need to hook up with her sister. I have never had a woman do that. That sounds too good to be true.

:lol:

No. She just waited at home for DHL to deliver it. She tolerates my gear madness though. She just rolls her eyes everytime I buy another amp. In the last year or so I've been through an ENGL Powerball, a Peavey 6505+, a Peavey 6505, a Line 6 Flextone, a Line 6 Vetta, a Line 6 HD147, a Roland Cube 60, an ENGL Fireball, a Mesa Single Rectifier and a VHT Ultra-Lead in addition to buying the Herbert and Roadster. I've had the Uber for nearly 2 years now. Not to mention the 13-14 guitars I've bought/sold over the same time frame.

Bierschinken said:
Yeah, the low end of the herbert is sometimes even too much...

Our bands style has changed over the last few weeks. We´ve played a lot thrashmetal stuff which the herbert served really well but now we play a lot more melodic, not so heavy stuff and because of this the low end is sometimes too much. If you´re going for a slight overdriven sound for crunchy arpeggios the herbert always has too much oomph and power, it never sounds nice and warm.

In addition to that I´ve got the feeling that for playing singing leads the herbert isn´t the best amp. It sometimes doesn´t feel smooth n stuff...u know?

Don´t know if you feel the same?
You know the single, so do you think a rectifier (single, dual, roadster -whatever) will serve my needs better?

I'd say go for a VHT Ultra-Lead or a VHT Deliverance. The UL is the best amp for lead tones that I've ever played. Low gain stuff is real nice as well. It can do everything from clean to full on metal.

Being from Germany - you might give and ENGL SE a try as well. I've never played one, but I've read good things about them. I've owned other ENGL models and I've liked them - especially the Fireball :twisted:

mhenson42 said:
I didn't get to play a whole lot tonight. But I'm very pleased thus far -exactly what I was looking for. The first time I stepped on the footswitch it had a very faint pop (channel 3) after that, I didn't have any popping on the channels when I switched them. I probably wouldn't have notice the pop when I first step on it had I not looking to hear it. BTW- I bought the amp used. It was purchased new back in August 2006.

Here are some pics along with my other amps.

P6010038.jpg

P6010037.jpg

WOW!!!!!

mhenson42 said:
Russ said:
mhenson42 said:

:lol:

No. She just waited at home for DHL to deliver it. She tolerates my gear madness though. She just rolls her eyes everytime I buy another amp. In the last year or so I've been through an ENGL Powerball, a Peavey 6505+, a Peavey 6505, a Line 6 Flextone, a Line 6 Vetta, a Line 6 HD147, a Roland Cube 60, an ENGL Fireball, a Mesa Single Rectifier and a VHT Ultra-Lead in addition to buying the Herbert and Roadster. I've had the Uber for nearly 2 years now. Not to mention the 13-14 guitars I've bought/sold over the same time frame.

I tend to buy my own and have her receive them like you did. The only problem is that she too plays and now resents when my tastes change. Sometimes she would like to have one of the recycled amps but for what she plays at the sound level she plays she already has the perfect amps. I can't seem to get it through her head that she doesn't need 100 watts of tube amp to play it on less than 1. I have recently sold off some stuff and got my other stuff. She only sees the stuff coming in and doesn't take into consideration the stuff going out and gives me hell for the stuff coming in. I guess because she isn't paying for anything that comes in she doesn't seem to realize the value of some of the stuff that has to leave to get the new stuff. It is still frustrating to hear her complain about my gear quest though.

Latest posts

Back