Roadster & wah

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holy Diver

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a wah soon and am wondering if any of you can give me some recommendations. I'm not a major fan of using wah but i'm doing a bit of gigging at the moment with a covers band and i need to get one. The most important thing for me is that it is totally transparent when i'm not using it. My rig is very straight forward in that i plug straight in to my head and have a 10 band eq in the loop. I borrowed a standard jim dunlop crybaby for a gig recently and was convinced it was sucking something from my sound when in the off position so i ended up disconnecting it altogether until the songs i needed it for - less than ideal. Also the lack of an LED was a bit of a pain. Also I don't particularly want to break the bank seeing as I rarely use wah in my own playing away from the covers thing. Any views?

Holy Diver said:
The most important thing for me is that it is totally transparent when i'm not using it.
The Fulltone wah has full bypass (and sounds great when in use!). I've replaced my Dunlop with the Fulltone and am quite pleased.

If you have the cash The dunlop 2sr rack wah is the most versatile wah ever.

Its what slash and hammett to name a few use.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Crybaby-Rack-Wah?sku=151130

The adjustable Q on the Dunlop rack is very nice. I have the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe ( http://www.fulltone.com/CDW.asp ) which is less adjustable, but does have 3 different modes.

I have a regular crybaby that I've modded to true bypass. Also did a couple other things while I was in it that make it sound better.

Is that rack wah designed to go in the loop or in front?

phyrexia said:
I have a regular crybaby that I've modded to true bypass.
IIRC, the Fulltone site has instructions for modifying crybaby's and some other wahs to true bypass.

I use a Morley Bad Horsie. It doesnt seem to taint the sound to my ears. Not that expensive.

The rack wah is made to go in the front. It has everything you will ever need in a wah. boost, q, eq, selectable ranges, you can hook up multiple wah controllers, true bypass, fasel, the only downside is that it is expensive. But if you bought a roadster then you can afford it. Dont waste your money trying to find the right wah pedal, this wah you can adjust it to sound like anything you want.

nathan28 said:
Dont waste your money trying to find the right wah pedal, this wah you can adjust it to sound like anything you want.
A very strong endorsement, thanks! And, it meets the OP requirement of true bypass.

Budda Wah...true bypass and cool purple. has a fairly short stroke but once your dialed in it is sweet.

Back