Roadster vs Road King (2) cleans

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockanomicon

Reaction score
I understand in the clean channel of the Road King v2, it is supposed to be able to replicate the Lonestar tone. Is this also true of the Roadster? I read a few posts and thats what it sounded like. However, I checked the Manual for the Roadster on the Mesa site and there was not mention of Lonestar circuitry in the Roadster.

Simply seeking clarification...

Absolutely the same cleans in the Roadster as in the RKII and Lonestar.

domct203 said:
badjohnny said:
Has this always been true for the Roadster or only a "Roadsterv2"?

The Roadster and RKII share the same pre-amp circuit.

Dom

What he said!

I spoke with Mesa a few times regarding this and basically the tech came out and said the Roadster and Roadking II have the identicle preamp circuit.

He did say the power amp section was of course different. Even if say you had 4 6L6 seclected on the Roadking, and you ran the Roadster at 100W, it still wouldn't be the identical power section.

But whether or not that has any effect on the tone, I doubt it.

The cleans on the Roadster sound amazing.

The one advantage you would have with the Roadking, is that you could have the clean channels setup to run with EL34's and an open back cabinet, and have the drive channels setup with 6L6's and a closed back cab.

I own both a roadster and a lonestar. The cleans in both sound the same to me. Bought the lonestar thinking it would be more a fender clean but was wrong. They both have fantastic cleans that are identical if you ask me, don't know about a roadking.

Back