Roadster Soloing?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stash49

Reaction score
Heartbreaker fanatic here. I cant find a decent tone for solos on the Roadster-all the channels sound great for chords, but nothing on this amp inspires me do leads at all. One chorus and I'm done. I got it to get all those great recto sounds, and some good cleans and switch easily between them-but I have lost any kind of lead sound! By contrast, the crunch, and recto vibe is non-existent in my heartbreaker, but the lead tones-good god! Once you find the zone you can't stop soloing-chorus after chorus! I tried the HB speaker cab with the roadster-nope-the same shreaking bs lead sound-not even in the same league as the HB-or am I missing something? Perhaps a Mark IV might bridge the gap-I am at real loss here-any advice?

Try a OD pedal for leads to push it a bit more for leads, or you could also get a Studio Preamp or Quad or something, and hook it up to the Roadster for leads.

I have a Tube Screamer and a Boss SD-1 out front on my Roadster and they work really well together. The TS seems to work/sound better with Channels one and two (I use those for the cleans and brit crunch) and the SD-1 seems to work/sound better with Channels 3 and 4 (I use the vintage and modern recto modes).

Over the weekend I picked up a Boss Super Chorus CH-1. It has really helped thicken up the cleans but also fattens up the high gain channels nicely as well (using conservative settings).

I don't know what kind of lead tones you're going for but these are just a couple extras I have added on to get to where I wanted to be. I didn't really want to be adding a bunch of pedals but hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do..........you know, the "tone quest" and all that. :)

Hope it helps.

Hi there,thats odd,I would suggest sticking the 4th Ch.on modern and sticking the rectification to diode,that should give more then enough saturation,sustain and still keep that great tonal integrity that the roadster has!!!!! :D

I've got clips on my site at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com of some Roadster soloing (on the Roadster page). The harder stuff is channel 3 vintage in spongy mode.

for my saturated lead I use ch4 with dials all pretty much at noon in vintage, gain at about 1:30, and with my maxon od820 in front.
Before I had the maxon I would use ch4 with gain a bit higher like about 3:00.

tele_jas said:
I've got clips on my site at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com of some Roadster soloing (on the Roadster page). The harder stuff is channel 3 vintage in spongy mode.

That was awesome! I loved the vintage channel solo!
Could you post your settings for that because I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a solo setting that works for my roadster. Thanks, and great playing.

hi there,Liked what I heard there Tele_jas,Im sure gonna post my recto clips when it comes.......time to unleash

zackprs said:
tele_jas said:

That was awesome! I loved the vintage channel solo!
Could you post your settings for that because I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a solo setting that works for my roadster. Thanks, and great playing.

* Mode = vintage
* 6L6's
* Spongy
* 100 wts
* Diode Rectifier
* Gain = 3:00 with humbucker 4:00 with single coil
* Treb = 12:00
* Mids = 11:00 - 12:00
* Bas = 10:00 - 11:00
* pres = 11:00-ish
* Channel volume around 11:00

Start out with everything around noon and go from there (I usually keep the gain around 3:00-ish).. Sometimes you need to switch channels and come back to it so your ears aren't used to it or so it doesn't soung too much different.

Latest posts

Back