roadster/roadking,,,help me decide which one !!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibson08

Reaction score
Yeah I know, same old subject, but I need some help(so i have been told) I was at GC today playing a Roadster(they havnt had a RK in 10mos. or so) and come to the conclusion its a great amp, I have the LoneStar cleans, I have my vintage and modern channels back(like my T-Verb used to have) but I have no RK to try,,, So unless somebody tells me that the RK will help me get better Page tones with the EL34s I will probably just go with the Roadster. I probably will not use the cab switching part either(again unless it helps with Page tones) And I am extremely curious about the EL34 capabilities though,,,see, I need HELP!!

THE ROADSTER IS A GREAT AMP. I SAY GO FOR IT. PAGE SUCKS ANYWAY.......HA J/K

SCOTTY

the real benefit for the rk over the roadster is being able to assign different tubes to different channels as well as different cabs to diff chans. as you said yourself, you won't use the cab switching so the roadster is a good bet to go for. the price difference between the two isnt enough to warrant only one of those. if you want to try different tube settings, just get a spare set.

i was in the same predicament and chose the roadster for the reason i mentioned above. however, fate would change as i found a racktifier and bought it instead ;)

What chemten said is right on the money...I own a Roadster and have owned a Road King as well...Both are great amps, but it you don't need the progressive linkage, then get the Roadster...They are basically the same amp minus a few additions to the RK...Just my two cents.

I did not really think that there would be a big difference, its the same circuit, right?? Just if its going thru EL34s or 6L6s, right?? And WTF!!! Page sucks???? Dont blaspheme on my post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gibson08 said:
I did not really think that there would be a big difference, its the same circuit, right?? Just if its going thru EL34s or 6L6s, right?? And WTF!!! Page sucks???? Dont blaspheme on my post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The difference is that you can run EL34's and 6L6's together on the RK, but the Roadster is only capable doing either or...Understand?...As far as Page goes, he rocks 8) .

Daxman73 said:
gibson08 said:

The difference is that you can run EL34's and 6L6's together on the RK, but the Roadster is only capable doing either or...Understand?...As far as Page goes, he rocks 8) .
I def understand how the amp works, unfortunately I cant hear for myself the differences, there is no local RK for me to play so,,I depend on you rockers to guide me thru!! If the EL34s have anything to do with getting a better Page tone, then I would want to know, if the difference is minor then F'it im getting a new Roadster!!!!!! I play lots of other stuff besides Page, but its a big plus to get a little of that tone ya'know!!

I had the opportunity to try both amps...and I ordered a Road King.
It'll arrive this week (well, I hope so...)

Here are a few elements I hope will help you choose :

- RK allows you hear the exact difference between 2 tubes complements (6L6, EL34) without swapping. You can be amazed at how different it sounds. It's very interesting to hear the differences between power tubes without changing the remaining components (preamp voicing and setting, cabinet...). I never had experienced this before.

- Cabinets and speakers are certainly the most overlooked components of tube amps. It's not black art. There are huge differences between speaker brands and types, cabinet types (open, closed, 2x12, 4x12)...
It's a very good idea to try amps, but all of us should try cabinets/speakers as well. Even if your favorite guitar player plays 4x12, you must try a 2x12 openback and maybe you'll like it because it depends on the playing context (band, music style, volume, room size, ...)
RK allows you to choose 2 types of very different sounding speakers in order to compliment the settings of the amp.

- Tube rectification of the RK has a great impact on tone. It's also worth experimenting... It compresses tone in nice and musical way.

Let's summarize :

If you like experimenting (and if you have time and energy to do it) go for the RK because you'll have fun with all these features. You may even learn things at experimenting and have changes in your preconcieved ideas (if you have some) about tubes, speakers, ...

If you play in a cover band with many different styles you may take advantage of the RK.
If you dream having a Marshall AND a Fender at a gig without the hassle of routing guitars, FX between 2 different amps, maybe the RK is a good choice

RK is a luxurious toy for people having fun experimenting and an amazing tool for those who need radical changes in tone from the same piece of equipement.

If you don't need your amp to change personality like a schizo go for a Roadster; it would be a waste of money to buy a RK.

Road king channel 2, in brit mode with EL34 allows you to get convincing old marshall low gain tone. Kashmir is not that far. El34 gives you some "rasp" you can't get with 6L6. Sure Roadster can give you the same when fitted with EL34.

I was in the same dielema 6 months back. and guess wat, i went for the road king. the reason was simple, the road king had more options. i didnt want to go through the phase of "i should have got that..." i have not had the chance to try any of the amps before my purchase, but after getting my roadking, i must say it was over whelming! and the tube switching and cab switching functions, they are just some really good options. good luck!

Ok ok gibson08 Page doesn't suck I was just kidding , the point was roaster all the way.

Not everybody is crazy about the brit channel but I love mine. Its gets a good JTM sound fo sho.

peace out yall

phil110567 said:
I had the opportunity to try both amps...and I ordered a Road King.
It'll arrive this week (well, I hope so...)

Here are a few elements I hope will help you choose :

- RK allows you hear the exact difference between 2 tubes complements (6L6, EL34) without swapping. You can be amazed at how different it sounds. It's very interesting to hear the differences between power tubes without changing the remaining components (preamp voicing and setting, cabinet...). I never had experienced this before.

- Cabinets and speakers are certainly the most overlooked components of tube amps. It's not black art. There are huge differences between speaker brands and types, cabinet types (open, closed, 2x12, 4x12)...
It's a very good idea to try amps, but all of us should try cabinets/speakers as well. Even if your favorite guitar player plays 4x12, you must try a 2x12 openback and maybe you'll like it because it depends on the playing context (band, music style, volume, room size, ...)
RK allows you to choose 2 types of very different sounding speakers in order to compliment the settings of the amp.

- Tube rectification of the RK has a great impact on tone. It's also worth experimenting... It compresses tone in nice and musical way.

Let's summarize :

If you like experimenting (and if you have time and energy to do it) go for the RK because you'll have fun with all these features. You may even learn things at experimenting and have changes in your preconcieved ideas (if you have some) about tubes, speakers, ...

If you play in a cover band with many different styles you may take advantage of the RK.
If you dream having a Marshall AND a Fender at a gig without the hassle of routing guitars, FX between 2 different amps, maybe the RK is a good choice

RK is a luxurious toy for people having fun experimenting and an amazing tool for those who need radical changes in tone from the same piece of equipement.

If you don't need your amp to change personality like a schizo go for a Roadster; it would be a waste of money to buy a RK.

Road king channel 2, in brit mode with EL34 allows you to get convincing old marshall low gain tone. Kashmir is not that far. El34 gives you some "rasp" you can't get with 6L6. Sure Roadster can give you the same when fitted with EL34.
Sounds like there is a rather noticeable diff when you go to the EL34s, others have suggested to buy the Roadster and go with 34s but I would only want them part of the time and those 6L6s the majority of the time, your post was very helpful, Thanks

SCOTTY said:
Ok ok gibson08 Page doesn't suck I was just kidding , the point was roaster all the way.

Not everybody is crazy about the brit channel but I love mine. Its gets a good JTM sound fo sho.

peace out yall
Thanks for the retraction! The Roadster sounded good(for playing in GC) still curious about those RKs though, and some of these post are getting more convincing!!

kissing said:
I was in the same dielema 6 months back. and guess wat, i went for the road king. the reason was simple, the road king had more options. i didnt want to go through the phase of "i should have got that..." i have not had the chance to try any of the amps before my purchase, but after getting my roadking, i must say it was over whelming! and the tube switching and cab switching functions, they are just some really good options. good luck!
Man I know what you mean I am the same way, always with the "what if" Do you think a little bit of an old Marshall sound is in there somewhere??

Hi, i was in the same situation as you but since i had the extra cash i went with the roadking. but i don't know if that we be help to you because i use ALL THE FEATURES on the road king and i'm not sure if you will do the same. :D

I owned a Roadking, and sold it for a Roadster.

To me the Roadster is simpler and a tad more aggressive.

I chose the Roadster simply because it was more simple with less odds of having a major malfunction with all the "extra" gizmos that I really wouldnt use anyway.

No regrets on my choice.

But I am sure the Roadking is awesome as well.

Aint no Bad Boogies... just different ones!

Fixxer6671 said:
I owned a Roadking, and sold it for a Roadster.

To me the Roadster is simpler and a tad more aggressive.
Now thats interesting, one going the other way, any other reasons you sold a RK and went to a Roadster??

There is nothing more aggressive about a Roadster than a Road King. The tone-making engine when configured with the same 6L6 settings is THE SAME.

If you haven't seen it by now, please read my in-depth review of the Road King II to fully understand it and it finishes up with details on the differences between the RK II, Roadster, and original RK:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0906_MesaBoogieRoadKing.php

Another nice difference -- two FX loops in the RK II.

Scott

leblanc74 said:
Here in Canada, our local GS retails the RK2 1000$ more than the Roadster...
Yeah, its the same here, huge difference in price, thats what makes it a tough decision, and the fact that there is not one here locally to play does not help either!

Latest posts

Back