Roadster or 3 channel Dual Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hidden132

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy one of these amp heads. I like to play Heavy metal, Classic rock, 80's metal, blues, Hard rock, and Punk Rock. I will be mainly using this at home and to jam on the weekends with friends. Could someone please tell me which head would suit me? Thanks!

If given the choice between the two, I'd choose roadster hands down. The extra options on it really more than make up for the small price difference. There are some issues popping up with the roadsters, so just make sure to fully test it out before the return period is up on it. The plus with the 3 channel is that there shouldn't be any issues with it.

i agree i found that i like the roadster much more than the duel rec. i also play 80's metal and i found it to be much better sounding then the duel.

Yep, Roadster rocks. No problems with mine. Less than a year old and solid as a rock. The first Roadsters had some power supply issues or something...

Have not tried the 3 channel DR but I sure love my Roadster ( until I have to carry it up the basement stairs! ) I play in a cover band that plays the entire gammet of styles and the Roadster has everything there. Clean sounds are spectacular but will rock hard when needed.

Good luck with your quest :wink:

I'd say Roadster. When I got my DR, there was no such thing as a Roadster. If I were buying now, I would absolutely get the Roadster instead of the DR. The Roadster has everything the DR has, but the DR doesn't have nearly everything the Roadster does.

It might be a little too much for what you're looking at it for. Are you going to be able to turn it up at all? Mesas really need to be played loud to sound their best.

I've used my Roadster in my living room of my apartment since I bought it. I've used it with the band at practice twice while we tried out new drummers. We lost our drummer as soon as I got the Roadster. Moral of the story is: The Roadster sounds great at any volume!

Does anyone know whether the Roadster/Roadkings sound more like the 2 or 3 channel Rectifiers? I really want to go for a Roadster right now, but I don't need all of those options. Would a 3 channel be closer in the Lead channel than a 2 channel would?

jtb226 said:
It might be a little too much for what you're looking at it for. Are you going to be able to turn it up at all? Mesas really need to be played loud to sound their best.
Yeah, im only 16 and live in a house and my parents are barely home so yeah ill be able to turn it up. I mean not like if im playing with a drummer but a little louder then normal talking volume. What is a good 2x12 cab to go with a roadster?

Kiss My Axe said:
Does anyone know whether the Roadster/Roadkings sound more like the 2 or 3 channel Rectifiers? I really want to go for a Roadster right now, but I don't need all of those options. Would a 3 channel be closer in the Lead channel than a 2 channel would?

seriously the roadster is a very simple amp to use..... basically a session of messing around with the rear options will do the trick... and i would say tonewise its between the two and also depends on your eq settings.... i find channel 3 to be voiced more towards a 2 channel (a little more raw/aggressive) where as channel 4 goes beyond the 3 channel rectos as i find it to have a little more compression which if eq'd right can get you into a mark iv super tight rhythm sound ...or atleast it does to my ears..... plus you would never know that you need 4 channels unless you have an amp with 4.... just the fact that i can have a super clean channel, a slightly broken up clean, a tight rhythm channel, and a awesome lead channel (especially when you throw an eq pedal in the loop) just makes me smile

jdurso said:
just the fact that i can have a super clean channel, a slightly broken up clean, a tight rhythm channel, and a awesome lead channel (especially when you throw an eq pedal in the loop) just makes me smile

Amen, brother! I play in a cover band so the wide tonal variety available at one time is much needed. I also like many types of music, and having so many tones available really lets me hit the tones i'm feeling on any given day. I can listen to Dream Theater or Alterbridge and hit up 4 channel modern and grab some like tones. I can then hit the EQ in channel 4 and go into Avenged Sevenfold territory. I can then listen to Satch, or Vai and hit up channel 3 vintage and be right on track. I can then listen to SRV and hit up channel 2 brit and be bluesy for hours - or I can switch channel 2 to fat and get the cleanest clean you've ever heard - Pat Metheny would be proud. Channel 1 stays on tweed and sounds fantastic for anything in between...

For everything else there's MasterCard... :wink:

Latest posts

Back