Roadster, Dual Rectifier or Rack???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all :D

I 'm new to both the forum and tube gear. I'm looking at changing my solid state rig that only lead me to frustration over the years for a Mesa. Like a lot of people, I'm after that larger than life tone in the likes of Metallica to only name my biggest influence. I found out about this forum a few days ago and been quite impressed by the quality of it. That's why I'm giving it a shot.

I'm of the rare kind of guitar player that plays home but doesn't mind shelling out big bucks for real gear. As I said, I've only got frustration out of cheap stuff. So, I am looking at getting something that would let me get the sound I want, but at tolerable volumes. I was looking mainly at the Roadster 1x12 combo, but I figured that it may even be too loud from what I've read. So, since I wouldn't mind using an attenuator of some sort(Hot Plate), I said to myself:''Why not consider the real deal, the actual amp that your favorite artists are using.'' That's where the Dual Recto comes in with a 2x12 cab. Then I think it might be cool to consider a recording preamp(Triaxis or Recto) and get some versatility out of my rig and explore the rack stuff. Unfortunetaly, Boogie prices are hard to find and I don't really know at what amounts I am looking at.

That's where I seek some help from Mesa veterans. I would like to know which option you guys think would be best for me. I only know that a Roadster combo goes from 1800 to 2300 depending on one or to speakers, the rest, :?: :?: :?: As I said I play at house volume, but really want that tone that I know I could only get by pushing a tube amp. I don't mind the attenuator, but I know it's kind of spoiling something that was meant to be loud.

Thanks for your help and keep on rockin' 8)

I would suggest looking for a Dual Rec or, my favorite, a DR Tremoverb in very good condition used. I bought a Tremoverb head w/ a 212 Recto cab and a Hot Plate with the neccessary cables for $1250 last year off ebay. It was a great deal! It was the best move I could have made. I love the gear! I took two of the four 6L6's out along with one of the Rectifier tubes to get the amp down to 50W and saved them as backups. If you have your own house and your neighbors aren't right up against you, it's doable...still, you'll hardly be turning the amp up above 9 o'clock.
The TOV has a better clean than the DR's but equals their ability to do high gain. A very versatile amp that will not leave you looking for more tones. Besides fantastic cleans, it has a great blues voice, a very good vintage distortion channel and a full blown metal high gain.
The Hotplates are OK, I don't really use it much since I can turn up enough to make me happy at home playing to music or jamming with some guys. There is a tone trade off when you use them...the more you use it to lower volume, the less tone is retained.

First off, welcome to the board.

Save your money and go with a Single Rectifier, Rectoverb or Stiletto Ace. Amps designed for 50w. For home use (and that sounds like what your looking for) they are perfect. Yes they will lack certain features their higher wattage siblings have, but in the long run, I feel you'll be happy with the tone.

If you have a chance; sit down with a DR and SR and A/b them, same cab, and same guitar at low volumes and then decide which one is for you.

If you don't want to hear that and have your heart set on a Dual Rectifer (as I did, now look at my signature) do yourself a favor and go with a Roadster head. They are just 200 bucks more than a DR and all around beter amp IMO. Plus when you do want to cut the amp to 50w you have a switch and do not have to pull tubes.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

The Roadster all around sounds much better than a Dual Rec in my opinion. I use the tubes recommend by Doug's Tubes. I like it better than the JJ's. Definitely go with a Roadster if you are looking for tones ranging from mild to wild.

Visually, of course I prefer the Dual. I mean it's the amp that my favorite players are using. But on the other hand, the versatility of the Roadster is quite impressive. It will all come down to the price of each option. Right now I would probably tend to choose the 1x12 combo and run a Hot Plate if too loud for me. So even if it's sucking up some tone, the loss will be less than with a bigger rig. But from what I've read elsewhere, the reviews were saying a Hot Plate was not influencing the tone. That would make sense to me since it's only evacuating the extra electrical energy in heat.

Is there anyone who has tried it?

soclosenomatterhowfar said:
Visually, of course I prefer the Dual. I mean it's the amp that my favorite players are using. But on the other hand, the versatility of the Roadster is quite impressive. It will all come down to the price of each option. Right now I would probably tend to choose the 1x12 combo and run a Hot Plate if too loud for me. So even if it's sucking up some tone, the loss will be less than with a bigger rig. But from what I've read elsewhere, the reviews were saying a Hot Plate was not influencing the tone. That would make sense to me since it's only evacuating the extra electrical energy in heat.

Is there anyone who has tried it?

I heard they sucj tone. Though I never tried one.

from what I understand about the hot plate, your loss of tone would most likely come from the lack of speaker cone movement. can't say for sure as I haven't used one (but I've been researching them cause I've loved the idea of an attenuator for quite some time). when you turn down the volume, you are going to lose some of the speaker's influence on your tone because you're not driving it as hard. just something else to think about. if you have some higher wattage speakers, then it's going to take a lot more power to reach that sweet spot where they really open up. does anyone else seem to think this, or am I alone in this train of thought?

Hotplates do suck tone. The more volume you are trying to cut down, the more they pull tone out of your sound. About a year ago I got a used Tremoverb+212cab+Hotplate as a package deal.
I played with it for awhile. Even if you bring the volume of the attenuated sound up to the level of volume you had without the Hotplate, it wasn't as good. So it isn't the speakers reaction. I pulled two power tubes out to get down to 50W and I can get the amp down to reasonable volume for use in a home (NOT an apartment, though), so generally I don't use the Hotplate.
It isn't terrible, but it is noticable...sorta like turning the tone knob of your guitar halfway down.

I think I made my choice. For 100$ more, the Roadster Head will give me much more versatility and will be a better long term companion than the Dual Recto. Does anyone of you guys know how much is the chrome plate option costing? 8)

Chrome plate...? If your asking about a chrome chassis I believe the RK, RS, and Stiletto Ace cannot be chromed because there are made from aluminum for heat/electronic reasons. For a full diamond plate front, It's not standard on the Roadster. I think the upgrade is around $200, but I'm not certain. A member here got one added to his Roadster. I will try and find that post...

I think MetalMatt is right. Pretty sure it is $200 for the diamond plate. Good luck with your tone quest! I know if the Roadster would have been out when I bought my Dual Recto, I would definitely have brought home a Roadster instead.

I won't explain my logic and start a flame war but I'm so confident when I say:

If you like the sound of a 2 channel Recto, Tremoverb, Roadster and Roadking II are the BEST rectos you can EVER own. It's the same distortion channel + a TON more on all three.

About watts and loud volume, DO NOT take watts into consideration. People are talking out their asses. If you think 100W is too loud, know that 50W isn't gonna be any different. I have a friggin 7w Tiny Terror and it rips the neighbors a new one when I turn it up half way. Get the amp that sound right to you. Don't limit yourself with the watts non-sense. I can record a clip in which the strings are louder than the actual volume coming from the speakers and I guarantee you you'll like it if you like the recto sound.

Volume knob is your friend guys. It can be 39483984938 watts and it'll be ok for home use...

...G.I.G was the guy. Ok here is some info...
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=6640
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=3639

Re-reading my post back then it was $159 for a faceplate change. Mesa increased their prices since then, I'm not sure if the upgrades/options have been effected.

The Roadster... good choice, its a great amp. Rectos like volume. You can get good tones out of them at low/house volumes, but they sound nothing alike when turned up.

LnTh said:

If you like the sound of a 2 channel Recto, Tremoverb, Roadster and Roadking II are the BEST rectos you can EVER own. It's the same distortion channel + a TON more on all three.

About watts and loud volume, DO NOT take watts into consideration. People are talking out their asses. If you think 100W is too loud, know that 50W isn't gonna be any different. I have a friggin 7w Tiny Terror and it rips the neighbors a new one when I turn it up half way. Get the amp that sound right to you. Don't limit yourself with the watts non-sense. I can record a clip in which the strings are louder than the actual volume coming from the speakers and I guarantee you you'll like it if you like the recto sound.

Volume knob is your friend guys. It can be 39483984938 watts and it'll be ok for home use...

+1 I find my amps sing wonderfully at low volumes.

I was narrowed down to a Dual Rec & Roadster and the Roadster won for a few reasons: 1) the versatility 2) the cleans 3) the distortion has something a bit thicker than the Dual Rec to me & my ears. Get a Roadster, you won't regret it!

LnTh said:

Please do, for those that talk out of our asses. Please make sure it's a 100w clip and sit next to the amp not close to the mike that's recording it.

clutch71 said:
LnTh said:

Please do, for those that talk out of our asses. Please make sure it's a 100w clip and sit next to the amp not close to the mike that's recording it.
If you think a 100 watt amp can't sound good at low volumes, you are talking out your ***.

I'll record the clip tonight.

Why the **** would I sit next to the mic? I meant strings would be louder in the room not in the recording. You would still hear the strings in the recording because the amp is so quiet. Pretty much like this TT clip of mine: http://youtube.com/watch?v=X0cna5Z1cxo

The clip with roadster will be just like that. If you think Roadster's high watts are gonna be an issue, you're dead wrong.

Enjoy : http://www.netmusicians.org/files/76-100WattsLowVolumeRoadster.mp3

This is recorded at the volumes I play at 3 am in the morning with my cousin sleeping in the next room.

I really doubt that getting a 50watt, or 7watt amp for that matter, will matter much. An amp either sounds good or bad at low volumes. Has nothing to do with wattage. Compare this clip with my Tiny Terror clip and tell me what you think. Would you have guessed that TT clip is a 7 watt amp and this clip is 100 watt amp? I doubt you would.

So, Roadster it will be!

I managed to find a dealer where I will get the half-stack for only 25$ more than the US Retail price :D

Plus I couldn't believe it when my girlfriend told me she were going to buy that amp for me :shock:

So thanks for wverything, you've been of great help, I'll make sure to post pics of it when it gets here

Latest posts

Back