Roadster cleans...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisallen

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got a Mesa Boogie Roadster head with a 2x12 recto cab. Channel 3 and 4 are GREAT and i got a nice tone very easily.

CLEANS!!!!! I can't get a non distorted clean tone! I'm using the JP Ernieball guitar which has 2 humbuckers, and even with a super low gain setting on channel 1 or 2 on ANY of the modes (even clean mode), at volume, it is distorted, especially in the low frequencies.

Anyone have clean settings? I can't believe i can't get a non distorted clean tone! HELP!

I've read what i could find on this forum, and thought i saw some people with the same opinion....

Fredster got some incredible cleans.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=4625&highlight=fredster

Are you running the standard Mesa powertubes...also, have you tried switching to diode mode on the clean channel rather than tube rectification. I had the same problem, but I had put some JJ 6L6 powertubes in, and they may have been on the hot side...I put the factory tubes back in, switched to diode mode, and I get a nice clean in clean mode with the gain at about 11 oclock and the channel volume at about 2:30...then I match the dirty channels to that. I also liked the clean sound I got running Tweed mode with the gain really low, but that channel is too noisy for a real clean tone. In my case, I'm not sure if it was the tube change or diode mode that fixed my problem.

yup everything is stock.

2x12 rectifier cabinet. 8 ohms. everything should be going great.

but on ANY of the modes on 1 or 2, i can't get the gain up past 8 or 9oclock without distortion, again mostly on the low frequency side.

blarlkja!!!

What do you have the treble control set at, also, what is your channel volume and master volume at. Have you tried diode mode on the clean channel? I forgot to answer your PM question, yes I am using the noise gate on the Gmajor for the dirty channels.

BrokenRomeo said:
What do you have the treble control set at, also, what is your channel volume and master volume at. Have you tried diode mode on the clean channel? I forgot to answer your PM question, yes I am using the noise gate on the Gmajor for the dirty channels.

its me who sent you a pm:p

Turn the master WAY up-to7 or 8. Turn the gain way down on channel one, and the volume way up on channel one. There is a huge difference in the volume of channel three or four vs. channel one, so you have to turn the channel volume on 3 & 4 way down. This way, I think you get more of your clean sound from the 6l6s. Put channel one on 100watt, silicone diode. Warning-STAY AWAY FROM ROADSTER CHANNEL 2 -it sucks, IMHO. :wink:

treble is either from 12 to 2, but i've tried it all over the place.

overall output volume is like 12 o clock, and channel volume would have to be at about 12 or more to even it out with the dirty channels.

i'm just suprised it distorts...

i've tried all kinds of combinations of knobs etc.

can anyone post a setting for me that works for you? like bass at 12oclock, treble 1oclock, etc.

thanks. gig tomorrow and i'd like it to be great!

Have you tried rolling back the volume on your guitar (around 7-8)? It sounds like you have some pretty hot humbuckers. I had a similar issue with my wolfgangs.

Try rolling back your guitar volume and see if that cleans it up. Also, the other suggestion above are good. Basically you need to reduce the signal into the pre-amp. Your guitar is obviously part of that.

Also, what was your previous amp? If you're coming from a modeling amp (Line 6 or similar) you'll be in for a bit of a surprise/change getting used to the roadster. I came from solid state amps like the vetta and it took me awhile to get used to it. I had to change some of my playing habits and techniques. That was me though. You might have a different issue.

stratman62 said:
Also, what was your previous amp? If you're coming from a modeling amp (Line 6 or similar) you'll be in for a bit of a surprise/change getting used to the roadster. I came from solid state amps like the vetta and it took me awhile to get used to it. I had to change some of my playing habits and techniques. That was me though. You might have a different issue.
This was my first thought. If you've been using a Roland 120 or Twin, you might not ever get the same cleans.

Chris, open up the manual, set it exactly like it says for sparkling cleans (Versa clean). Try a different guitar. If both sound distorted, call Mesa.
One of the features of the amp is a GREAT clean channel, not a "have to dial in", "pull back guitar volume" etc. It should sound like the Lonestar.

chrisallen said:
Hey all,

Just got a Mesa Boogie Roadster head with a 2x12 recto cab. Channel 3 and 4 are GREAT and i got a nice tone very easily.

CLEANS!!!!! I can't get a non distorted clean tone! I'm using the JP Ernieball guitar which has 2 humbuckers, and even with a super low gain setting on channel 1 or 2 on ANY of the modes (even clean mode), at volume, it is distorted, especially in the low frequencies.

Anyone have clean settings? I can't believe i can't get a non distorted clean tone! HELP!

I've read what i could find on this forum, and thought i saw some people with the same opinion....

TheRazMeister said:
Chris, open up the manual, set it exactly like it says for sparkling cleans (Versa clean). Try a different guitar. If both sound distorted, call Mesa.
One of the features of the amp is a GREAT clean channel, not a "have to dial in", "pull back guitar volume" etc. It should sound like the Lonestar.

It does sound almost exactly like the Lonestar. Except, the Lonestar also distorted with the gain up past 9.

Anyway, I have the same problem, there are a number of ways to solve the problem.

First, cut back on the guitars volume it cleans things up wonderfully.

Second, crank the master on that channel all the way up, have the gain all the way down, and raise it to the point right before it becomes overdriven, for me it's around 8-8:30. Then have the solo dial cranked, and use the solo switch as your clean boost.

Last, I'm fairly sure there are pedals out there that give a clean boost. I've yet to try any, but I'm assuming you could get one of those and use it in place of the solo switch.

There's a lot you can do with the EQ, but it's setup differently then most (non Mesa) amps, so it's got a bit of a learning curve to it it seems. I've actually managed to eliminate the overdriven sound with the gain up to 11, but I wasn't really happy with the sound of it, so I started over.

Your problem has to be either a tube or some other technical issue...I have a Roadster 2x12 Combo and the cleans were by far, the easiest to dial in...Amazing tone!...My current setting is below...Give it a try and if you still get distorted tones, it has to be something else wrong...Let me know how you make out.

-Tweed/Diode/100watts
-Gain: 9 o'clock
-Treble: 1:30
-Mid: 9:30
-Bass: 1:30-2 o'clock
-Presence: 12 noon
-Ch. Master: 12:30-1 o'clock

cool everyone. thanks.

i'll try some stuff tonight. i think it's probably my learning curve to this amp. i've been using a Peavey JSX combo. It has active EQ and I know the difference.

I also work in a music store and have tried MANY amps. But this is my first Mesa. So imma just keep trying.

I"m sure nothing is wrong with the amp. :)

good luck chris! The Roadster is a fine amp. I just got mine, but im still waiting on a cab to fire it up.

Make sure your running you cleans in 100watt mode for more headroom. I run all my distortion channels at 50watts and my cleans at 100watts.

Slightly counterintuitively, try turning your effect send level control up a bit so you can turn the level of anything in the loop down a bit. You may unintentionally be adding gain into the system.

Latest posts

Back