Roadster Channel Switching Noise

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Carlson

Reaction score
Hello,
I have posted about this before, my Roadster head makes loud popping noises when switching channels. Whether I am using the Mesa foot switch or using my G-System to do the switching, the popping is terrible! It was suggested to switch through all the channels multiple times when in stand-by mode, then switch the amp to on and should be no more noise. Unfortunately this didn't work a bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions as this is very, very frustrating!! Thanks so much!

Are the 'pops' happening at stage volume? How old is the amp?

When I first got my Roadster it was a popping nightmare. The "Standby Shuffle" worked for me, (cycle through all 4 channels 2-3X while in standby, end on Ch 3 before you take it out of standby) - no more pops at gig volumes.

At very low volumes (bedroom levels) it still pops from time to time, but nowhere near as bad as when it was new.

Dom

as dom pointed out if its happening at stage volumes there might be a problem. If you still hear it at low levels pay attention to it... is it a pop you hear through the speakers or are you hearing the relays mechanically switching? Remember there is a lot going on when you switch channels on the roadster especially if each channel varies in the tubes your using (diodes vs rectos). The more difference between the channels the more audible mechanical switching noise from the relays. To be honest with you I've had mine for about a year and a half and i dont even notice it anymore.

Thanks guys! The amp is only 1 month old. It is popping at stage volume coming through the speakers, not just the sound of the relays. Interesting that you mentioned cycling through the channels then ending on channel 3, because it is the worst switching from 1 or 2, to 3... So I just now tried that and it quite a bit better...

Thanks again!! Hopefully all is good now.

i allways power up my dual recto at channel two an my roadster at channel three.
after that, there is no extreme popping anymore.

Latest posts

Back