Roadster channel switching lag

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echoes420

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new amp, and have been seriously considering the roadster.

But I have read numerous posts recently about the lag in channel switching... which is just unacceptable for my needs and would really be a total deal breaker.

Now I understand that not ALL roadsters suffer from this problem.

For those of you that have had this problem with your roadster, did it happen as soon as you bought it or tested it out in the store... or did it happen after days, weeks, months into running it? Also, has anyone noticed any pattern in the serial numbers of the infected roadsters? (like numbers xx through xxxx are bad?)

And you happy roadster owners that don't have the problem, feel free to help talk me into to buying one. :lol:

There's about half a second lag between channels tops, but I reckon it's a pretty good idea, cause changing channels with different levels of reverb would be annoying. On the other hand, I have not tried changing channels with the loop and reverb disengaged. I wonder if the switching lag times remain the same...

KH Guitar Freak said:
There's about half a second lag between channels tops, but I reckon it's a pretty good idea, cause changing channels with different levels of reverb would be annoying. On the other hand, I have not tried changing channels with the loop and reverb disengaged. I wonder if the switching lag times remain the same...

That is a good question!

Does anyone have the answer to it?

If you have the loop and reverb bypassed, is the lag still there?

We are talking about that half a second lag that you would expect from the Roadster. Just wondering if that also applies when the loop is bypassed. Nevertheless, it's only a minor lag that I'm not fussed about...

I used to use the loop; now I don't. No issues with lag either way.

KH Guitar Freak said:
thejay said:
I used to use the loop; now I don't. No issues with lag either way.

Is it immediate channel switching btw???

Yes, let it be noted that I also turn the amp on; while in standby I cycle through each of the 4 channels a few times and then turn on spongy/bold in channel 3. I believe I got that tip on here from someone when I heard a slight "popping" switching channels. This method is to release static build up in the amp. I have no popping now or lag for that matter. I never noticed a lag before anyway.

I think it's a shame that I read about the lag issues and any others with the Roadster. I think its a beautiful amp. I have some EL34s coming that I am really looking forward to firing up. I like the 6L6s... my band is going to be recording a demo soon for some labels so I wanted the EL34 option as I am the only guitar player.

thejay said:
Yes, let it be noted that I also turn the amp on; while in standby I cycle through each of the 4 channels a few times and then turn on spongy/bold in channel 3.

You mean on spongy, then back to standby, then bold? And why channel 3?

Actually he never left standby in the first place, he's in standby during that whole process, and then he unleashes current.

Leng said:
Actually he never left standby in the first place, he's in standby during that whole process, and then he unleashes current.

Correct. Turn the amp on using spongy or bold and while in standby cycle through all channels a few times. After doing so switch to channel 3 the last time and let the current fly.

Ah right, ok, I thought with the Roadster the "Bold" and "Spongy" options were on the standby switch (with the middle being standby), but I guess it's on the power switch instead? That seems like an awful hassle, though...

I don't experience this lag at all, however I don't run at extreme volumes very often. I had my amp running at about noon for output a few times and didn't experience it.

Metaltastic said:
Ah right, ok, I thought with the Roadster the "Bold" and "Spongy" options were on the standby switch (with the middle being standby), but I guess it's on the power switch instead? That seems like an awful hassle, though...

A hassle to hit the switches a few times?

thejay said:
A hassle to hit the switches a few times?

Well, to every time have to turn it on bold, hit all the switches, turn it off, wait a sec, turn it on spongy, hit all the switches - I dunno, seems like it'd get mighty tedious to me! (though I guess it's not mandatory if you're just rocking out by yourself and the lag isn't an issue)

I wouldn't do all that personally. Just turn the amp on standby, and cycle through all the channels and then leave it on channel 3. Take the amp off standby, cycle through all the channels again and off you go.

Turn to spongy or bold, whichever you prefer and prior to kicking the amp on from standby you cycle through the channels while it's warming up ending up ch 3; then let'er rip!

You are not turning to spongy and doing the cycle, then bold... just one or the other... whichever you use.

Hope that makes sense sorry if I was not clear before.

I'd just like to say that I do a similar thing on my Recto and it does work. It's part of a process of things I do, including tuning my guitar, while the amp is warming up. Never considered it a hassle.

What would be a hassle, however, is if I didn't do it and the amp popped or delayed during channel changes.

cycling through the channels is good anyway to make sure the switches are working properly

Latest posts

Back