Roadster Channel 2 Modes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Al

Reaction score
After a three year absence I am back in the market for a Mesa. Started back in a band and need a 3/4 channel amp to hit a wide range of covers. The Roadster seems like a good choice to try out but what can I expect out of the modes of channel 2?
I get that channel 1 for cleans and 3 & 4 for high gain but channel 2 seems to be a big question for me.

Thanks!

Same as me!
Really great sounding amp, very versatile, and I must confess that I'm now totally addicted to the 4 channels! So many possibilities!

I guess I have a problem understanding the Tweed sound. Is it a pushed clean that slightly breaks up?
Hopefully I will be able to try a Roadster and Mark V on Saturday.

Thanks!
I have been out of the market for awhile so when I started looking at amps, I was not considering a Recto because of the experience I had with a early to mid 2000 three channel. Just was not chunky, to fizzy and nothing like the older two channel models. As I was reasearching I came across "the reborn rectos" so I change my mind and decided to look into the Roadster. I may be in the market for a used one, are there years that are better than others? With the reborn rectos, did this impact the Roadsters also?

I just got mine a few months ago. I'm pretty happy with it. Very versatile amp.

screamingdaisy said:
I use channel 2 Fat for cleans and channel 1 Tweed for more grinding, overdriven sound
that´s the best way for me as well.
nice sparkle cleans on channel 2, fat low-end JCM800-style sound on channel 1, classic-modern-rock-sound in vintage mode on channel 3 and a over-the-top modern recto sound on channel 4
for me, the roadster is one of the best amps on the market!

screamingdaisy said:
I use channel 2 Fat for cleans and channel 1 Tweed for more grinding, overdriven sound

What kind of power tubes are you using?

Big_Al said:
I may be in the market for a used one, are there years that are better than others? With the reborn rectos, did this impact the Roadsters also?

To the best of my knowledge the Roadster hasn't really changed since it was released.

thejay said:
screamingdaisy said:

other than "screamingdaisy" i´m running the roadster with EH EL34 since 3 or 4 years now.
i like that kind of midrange the EL34s pronounce.

I didn't have much use for ch2 until I started using el34s. Now Brit is one of my favorite modes. It cleans up and likes to be pushed as well. I find it more lively than raw on ch3.

well you guys... just got back from a gig... a Zeppelin tribute to be exact... and let me tell you about the settings on my Roadster...
Ch 1 - Tweed
Ch 2 - Fat (nice clean for that stairway sound)
ch 3 - Raw... it was a first for me using that mode and I was pleased with its performance... nice sound...
Ch 4 - Vintage, don't get me wrong when i play with my band (originals) i use the modern setting on this ch... but coz of the gig ... the Vintage was the one to look out...

Roadster = Versatile = many amps in one !!!

screamingdaisy said:
thejay said:
screamingdaisy said:

Stock 6L6s (Chinese).

I've tried various power tubes over the years but I keep find myself going back to stock.

I loved the stock tubes but went to the EL34s (Mesas) to utilize BRIT more on CH 2. Which I think the amp sounds good on. I will have to put the 6L6s back in and try FAT, now I am curious :)

thejay said:
I loved the stock tubes but went to the EL34s (Mesas) to utilize BRIT more on CH 2. Which I think the amp sounds good on. I will have to put the 6L6s back in and try FAT, now I am curious :)

I've never been a big fan of EL34s in a Recto. They do sound good... just not what I want. There's a certain character to the midrange that I'm looking for and 6L6s produce it.

Yep the Roadster is great! I've been gigging the head through a Marshall cab since the beginning of the year and love the versatility, but may be selling it if anyone's interested?

Send me a PM if interested. Philly area

I finally played a Roadster today and tried the Tweed on channel 1. Had a little more gain than I anticipated which is nice, I really only need one clean channel.
I only spent one hour with one and I did not get channel 3 of 4 dialed in very well (missing something in the mids),I do feel I will be able to get there with more time and tweaking.
Now I need to read up on the bias mod, alternate tubesj, ect...

Thanks!

Big_Al said:
I finally played a Roadster today and tried the Tweed on channel 1. Had a little more gain than I anticipated which is nice, I really only need one clean channel.
I only spent one hour with one and I did not get channel 3 of 4 dialed in very well (missing something in the mids),I do feel I will be able to get there with more time and tweaking.
Now I need to read up on the bias mod, alternate tubesj, ect...

Thanks!

The midrange balance is controlled by the treble knob. The higher the treble = less mids. The lower the treble = more mids.

Additionally, the bass is pretty strong and can start to dominate and make things sound more scooped. Dialling the bass back to 9:00-10:00 will bring the mids more forward.

Back