Roadster 212 combo or roadster head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE PHENOM

Reaction score
As far as sound goes, how does the Roadster 212 combo compare with a Roadster head and Roadster 212 horizontal cab? I've read the combo is super heavy so head and cab is easier to lug around, but the combo route is cheaper as well. I'm thinking of buying one soon and am leaning towards the combo.

THE PHENOM said:
As far as sound goes, how does the Roadster 212 combo compare with a Roadster head and Roadster 212 horizontal cab? I've read the combo is super heavy so head and cab is easier to lug around, but the combo route is cheaper as well. I'm thinking of buying one soon and am leaning towards the combo.
This isn't really an answer to your question but I'm in the same boat and am inclined to get the head+2x12 cab since I won't really need people to help me carry them that way. People have said the Roadster combo is really heavy.

If you live on the first floor, you might want the combo. If you live upstairs, like me, you might regret getting the combo once in awhile.
You might even regret it more than not getting a road king.

Mixing and matching a cab/cabs with a head is always going to allow you to sound better for where you are playing.

I own a combo and love it for portability, but......

Some days I like a 4x12.
Some days I only need a 1x12.

An open back sounds different from a closed back.

And some days having a 4x12 sealed cab with a 2x12 open back is just right.

One of my favorites is using a 3/4 back Mesa cab w/C90 and an EVM-12L loaded Thiele cab together. Here you have 2 12" speakers doing the work of the of a 2x12, sounding fuller and more open than a 4x12 with more sound than a 1x12.

Oh, and this I do with all my amps, not just the Mesas.

kramerxxx said:
Mixing and matching a cab/cabs with a head is always going to allow you to sound better for where you are playing.

I own a combo and love it for portability, but......

Some days I like a 4x12.
Some days I only need a 1x12.

An open back sounds different from a closed back.

And some days having a 4x12 sealed cab with a 2x12 open back is just right.

One of my favorites is using a 3/4 back Mesa cab w/C90 and an EVM-12L loaded Thiele cab together. Here you have 2 12" speakers doing the work of the of a 2x12, sounding fuller and more open than a 4x12 with more sound than a 1x12.

Oh, and this I do with all my amps, not just the Mesas.

+1
I use my roadster head with 2 evm 12-l loaded 1x12 cabs and love it.

roadster combos sounded a little boomy to me.... which is why i went with the head.... i can pair it with whatever i want

I also prefer the SOUND of head with cabs versus the combo, and I have played a few of each.
"boomy" is a fair description of the combos I played.

Laskyman

Laskyman said:
I also prefer the SOUND of head with cabs versus the combo, and I have played a few of each.
"boomy" is a fair description of the combos I played.

Laskyman

yeah it just sounded like the amp itself was just too much for the combo.... i think the term boxy might also fit... it sounded like it didnt have the headroom the head emulates through a good speaker cab.... i mean its the same head room because its the same amp but the cab for the roadster combos just seem to cinstrict the amp.... the rectoverb and tremoverb sound a lot better IMO probably due to the open back and c90s instead of the closed back v30s

+1 for the head...

I agree with the head over the combo points made already. I have the 2x12 combo and I never play it alone without it sitting it on top of a recto 2x12. It sounds boomy alone and is HEAVY as all get out. That thing should be outlawed (well, if there was a law for heavy amplifiers). I regret not getting the head now, but it does sound great on the 2x12. The weight issue is the kicker for me. Did I mention it was HEAVY!!!!??

Yup +1 for the head too.
My Recto Std 4x12 (one of the earlier ones with 70w V30's) weighs 114 lbs but it's worth it :twisted:

Mark Fore said:
+1 for the head...

I agree with the head over the combo points made already. I have the 2x12 combo and I never play it alone without it sitting it on top of a recto 2x12. It sounds boomy alone and is HEAVY as all get out. That thing should be outlawed (well, if there was a law for heavy amplifiers). I regret not getting the head now, but it does sound great on the 2x12. The weight issue is the kicker for me. Did I mention it was HEAVY!!!!??

can you open the back of the of the combo? it might be nice to create a recto halfback type sound

Sorry to revive that thread but how heavy is the Roadster head alone by itself?
Is it eavier than a single rectifier head? (Which I own and might replace...)

Thanks

nicoroy123 said:
Sorry to revive that thread but how heavy is the Roadster head alone by itself?
Is it eavier than a single rectifier head? (Which I own and might replace...)

Thanks

yes, the roadster head is heavier than a single rec head. The roadster head weighs in at 48lbs, and the single rec at 34lbs. Hope this helps!

I had the combo and took the (14 or so) screws out of the back to open it up. At first i thought the back was glued in but it was just a tight fit. I put velcro on and used it to put the footswitch cable in when travelling. With the open back i didn't notice a whole lot of difference from out front, but it did remove a lot of the 'stand directly in front of me to hear what i really sound like' from the amp, which was great for rehersals and on stage too.

Back