Roadking owners, any ideas?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rampage

Reaction score
Alright I had a few quick questions:

1. Can you get a really good death metal type tone out of it a la Necrophagist or Sleep Terror or something along those lines?

2. Do you like the cleans?

3. Is the difference between Is and IIs big? If so how big?

4. How is the quality?

5. What speaker cabinets do you like most with it?

Thanks in advance! :D

1. I'm not too familiar with those bands, but yes with channel 3 and 4 I can get some pretty nasty high gain tones. Channel 4 for me is more like the Evanescence tone which is still pretty growly.

2. I love the channel 1 clean for really clean, thin stuff, but like the other poster, I dig channel 2 clean as it's got more balls and bottom end. Overall I can achieve pretty much any clean I need between the two channels though.

3. There are differences in series 1 and 2 but I'm not sure of all of them. I know all II's have fans, only some of the later model 1's do. I believe they did something to the IIs to give them better clean channels.

4. Build quality? So far so good but I've only travelled with mine a handful of times thus far. I'm still putting mine to the test. I have marshalls and line 6's as well and it's very obvious the RK is made with high quality components though.

5. I'm using the port city cabinets and am a huge fan. I like the boogie 2x12 cabs for some things but found them to be a tad muddy for most of my desired tones. The port city cabs breath better and don't get nearly as muddy.

peace.

Well I just listened to Necrophagist and Sleep Terror and from what my ears discern I think you should be able to pull that stuff off with a RK. I have played both the I and II and the RK II's cleans are pristine (same as Lonestar series which is as clean as Mesa gets!). The RK II has much better reverb than the I. Quality-wise she's built like a tank. If you want clean cleans, go RK II. I use a 2x12 recto with V30s and it sounds killer. Love it! Just get one!

Rampage said:

1. Can you get a really good death metal type tone out of it a la Necrophagist or Sleep Terror or something along those lines?

4. How is the quality?

1. Good death metal tone? Isn't that an oxymoron? Just kidding with you. :p Best I can say is listen to Dream Theater's Train of Thought and Octavarium CDs and see if you like the heavy tones.

2. The Road King II shares the best cleans Boogie has ever made with the Lone Star. The cleans on the orig. Road King were nothing special -- this was the most significant change in the products.

For complete info on the RK II and coverage of all of the differences, see my review at:
http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0906_MesaBoogieRoadKing.php

3. Difference on the clean channels is HUGE. Also, the RK 1 has one parallel and one series FX loop. The RK 2 has two series FX loops. This may or may not matter to you. The heavy channels are unchanged.

4. Quality? It's a Boogie, which makes it among the most solidly built and reliable pro amps on the market. Now that I've said this, my amp is going to malfunction tomorrow. Thanks!

5. I have the Rectifier Traditional cabinet with 4 V30s in it. I much prefer the sound through my Marshall 1936 2x12 with G12T75 speakers.

Scott

Rampage said:

4. How is the quality?

Get an ENGL Savage or Invader or an SE..... that is the tone your looking for... the RK is great, one of the best amps on the market but for what your looking for those ENGLs are the way to go.... for a cab i'd go with a VHT fat bottom, Mesa Recto , or a Marshall MF400....totally brutal

Latest posts

Back