Roadking or Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
richb said:
Isn't that like kind of going backwards?

Not really. He went from an RKI to a Roadster. The Roadster is more like an RKII than an RKI is except for the progressive linkage.

I think the way to go is RKII myself.

123thefirst said:
In addition to a RK II, I have the Recto Pre which is essentially a 2 channel RK I. The cleans are actually very, very good.

They're Lonestar cleans so it's a 2-channel RKII! I have mine hooked up to a 20/20, so I call it a "Road King Special" 8)

CoG said:
123thefirst said:
In addition to a RK II, I have the Recto Pre which is essentially a 2 channel RK I. The cleans are actually very, very good.

They're Lonestar cleans so it's a 2-channel RKII! I have mine hooked up to a 20/20, so I call it a "Road King Special" 8)

They're pretty close to Lone Star cleans anyways. I believe the Recto Pre came out at the same time as the RK I and inherited its preamp circuit more or less. The Lone Star came out a few years later. It's even possible that the motivation for the RK came from the initial development of the Recto Pre (about 3 years total in R & D) which must have preceded the start of the RK work.

Yeah, I really like the Recto Pre. Used with the ADA MicroCab it's amazing how close the sound is to the RK II with its own 4x12 cabinet.

sorry for the reposts(I must have click on submit a couple times)
pls disreguard..
thx
richb
(**** PC's)haha

alex1fly said:
I got my Roadster thinking that I would never use Progressive Linkage. But really, thats a badass feature. I wish I had a RK now! 6l6s and El34s sound different, yeah, but they also FEEL different... and being able to choose between the two as well as combine them creates a level of versatility that is unmatched by any amp out there. And its not just weird, professional "who cares about what you can do" versatility, its very accessible to any guitarist. I use EL34s in my amp and I think they do wonders for the sound, tightness, crunch, and lead tone. You can't have 4xEL34, but so what? 2xEL34 gives you enough power for most any non-arena venue, and if it doesn't you can just mic the amp (which you should probably do anyways?) I would definitely recommend getting the RK. If the only thing that the Roadster has over the RK is a subjective opinion of "better cleans," then the RK is clearly a winner. Being able to adjust the tone AND feel of the amp with progressive linkage would seriously be awesome. It may seem formidable but man.... go for it. You won't regret it. It will help you dial in more tones, more vibes, taylor channels better to your specific guitars, and more easily get those lead tones and tight crunch that the Recto doesn't give like the MKIV or other amps do.
Very well put!
Thx for laying down the real deal here.
I love my RKI...
Richb

alex1fly said:
I got my Roadster thinking that I would never use Progressive Linkage. But really, thats a badass feature. I wish I had a RK now! 6l6s and El34s sound different, yeah, but they also FEEL different... and being able to choose between the two as well as combine them creates a level of versatility that is unmatched by any amp out there. And its not just weird, professional "who cares about what you can do" versatility, its very accessible to any guitarist. I use EL34s in my amp and I think they do wonders for the sound, tightness, crunch, and lead tone. You can't have 4xEL34, but so what? 2xEL34 gives you enough power for most any non-arena venue, and if it doesn't you can just mic the amp (which you should probably do anyways?) I would definitely recommend getting the RK. If the only thing that the Roadster has over the RK is a subjective opinion of "better cleans," then the RK is clearly a winner. Being able to adjust the tone AND feel of the amp with progressive linkage would seriously be awesome. It may seem formidable but man.... go for it. You won't regret it. It will help you dial in more tones, more vibes, taylor channels better to your specific guitars, and more easily get those lead tones and tight crunch that the Recto doesn't give like the MKIV or other amps do.
Very well put!
Thx for laying down the real deal here.
I love my RKI...
Richb

CudBucket said:
richb said:
Isn't that like kind of going backwards?

Not really. He went from an RKI to a Roadster. The Roadster is more like an RKII than an RKI is except for the progressive linkage.

I think the way to go is RKII myself.
No way is the roadster more like the RKII than the RKI.As far as cleans go,sure!
The progressive linkage is everything!
The ONLY thing the Roadster has over the RKI is better cleans>
And the whole thing about that is the cleans on the RKI aren't bad,there very good.I do think it's kind of backwards, again the P.L says it all.what other amp can do that?
richb

P.S. Not to change the subject but Cudbucket your Cabs are just Beautiful man.Great,.great job!! 8)

FWIW,

I had the RK I, and picked up a Roadster. I don't view it as "moving backwards" in fact I was relieved. Progressive linkage was not for me, and to be honest that was not a tone I was going oafter for what I like to play.

The Roadster is a great amp. The RK II is a great amp. Neither will dissapoint.

Another disclaimer I would like to point out is all this hype around other gain amps that are coming out. The MESA **** angs with all of them, and as god as the MODENA's and other amps of the month are, it amazes me how often the MESA stuff gets looked over or dismissed on several other internet boards which shall remain nameless.

Bottomline, get either MESA and don't look back. I had both and now have a Roadster.

Later

Latest posts

Back