Road King

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peace said:
I am razor....

I hope you do too....

I got 40 minutes before I have to leave for work and I'm jumping off of the net and firing up the RK for a small jam.....

Congratulations.

Peace

Hey dudes mesa jedd from down under in oz,how does it sound over all,im still waiting for mine

]
Peace said:
I am razor....

I hope you do too....

I got 40 minutes before I have to leave for work and I'm jumping off of the net and firing up the RK for a small jam.....

Congratulations.

Well guys....
I don't have really anything fancy.. And I don't have any clips to post up but I snapped a couple of pics of my stuff and thought I'd put it up here for all to see...

Just a plain Jane front shot of my new RK2...
MyBoogieRK2.jpg

I took a couple of pics of my guitars and splice them together...
from left to right is;
my trusty Alvarez Acoustic.
1973 Gibson L6-S. I got it for 200 bucks in a used bookstore in West Virgina in 1990.... I love that guitar....

1977 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (with "Seymorized" Seymore Duncan Mini Humbuckers.) I still have the originals of course...

1980 Gibson Les Paul Studio XR-1 (The orig pups sqealed out on me so I thought I'd try the EMG 81/85 Set.)

The EPIPHONE G-1275... Got it for 400 bucks off of ebay.. The only time I absolutely defied my wife on a fiddle purchase.... They just don't understand.. A doubleneck epi for 400 bucks??? I had to do it.... A great purchase and I can STILL someday get the EDS-1275...... lol

My little DanElectro U2.... 200 bucks.. I keep it tuned for In My Time Of Dying.... Nice little guitar really....

My Fender Custom Shop 1952 Telecaster Re-issue... I got the certificate around here somewhere.. Came with a badass tweed case.. I haven't gigged with it yet... Butterscotch... It's very very nice..... Can't remember what year I picked that one up but it's only been a few ago....

And last but not least my 1998 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster. Has the Vintage Noiseless pickups in it. Some people don't like them but I do...
The color is called White Blonde....

MyGits.jpg

Then two shots of my little boy..... I couldn't resist...... He'll be 6 in August. He's no Bonham but the kid can actually play.... It's really cool to hear him.. He keeps a good beat and mixes it up. SANTA CLAUSE found a really great Groove Percussion Kit for 350.... I play it myself all the time.... :)
Myboy1.jpg

Myboy2.jpg

So anyway, that's my stuff.. Sorry I don't have better pics....
Tell me what you think... I'll see you all in a bit.

Peace

Hey Peace, can you take a photo of the rear of the amp. That's where most of the changes are,...

About the Triode switch, could the dropping of the triode/pentode switch be due to reliability? Techincally, if using an EL34 in triode mode, the plate voltage should also be decreased in order not to exceed the tube's power dissipation rating. Normally what happens is that amp manufacturers wing it,... and have tubes running over their rated power dissipation in triode mode. Perhaps Mesa decided that it was worth getting rid of this feature to reduce the number of calls about tubes blowing fast,...

The other reason (and I suspect this might be closer to the truth) could be purely economic. One of the first rules of marketing is to put a nice spin on decisions made for cost cutting reasons. A few things have slipped with the RK2,... the parallel FX loop, the triode/pentode switch. Small things, yes, but it also means that each channel strip can lose a pot. Also, the complexity associated with having 2 FX loop mix controls (the master and the individual channel mix) probably meant that there would have been a bit of complexity inside the amp as well, which would be dropped by turning the parallel FX loop into a series one. The money saved by dropping these features is probably about the same amount spent on the extra tube and transformer for the reverb circuit, methinks, hence the same price.

OK,
Here are a few shots of the back of the RK2.....

Shot 1
Back1.jpg

Shot 2
Back2.jpg

Shot 3
Back3.jpg

The plate covering the, now extinct, Pentode/Triode switch... You can also see it in the first to pics..
Pentode-TriodePlate.jpg

The Reverb... Don't know if you can tell or not but when you're up on the amp looking at it it's real easy to see but the screw holes for the reverb unit don't correspond with all of the screw holes in the chassis. It's in there pretty solid though.... Like it was a Series 1 shell that they weren't going to waste... As long as it says "II" on the front I'm fine....
Reverb.jpg

Those shots ok? Not the best but I hope they'll do....

Peace

Troy said:
Where is the reverb adjusted at? Is it the knob beside the Progressive Linkage switch on the back?

Yeah, I think they moved the reverb to the back from the original RK.

If you go to Mesa's website, they have some high res pics of the front and back of the Roadster. Since the Roadster and RKII share the same preamp channels and design, I think they are setup pretty much the same (except for the progressive linkage obviously).

There are two knobs on the back for each channel. One for tubes and one for reverb.

Hey peace, thanks for the pics,she looks great.mesa jed here in ozzy land downunder in perth western australia.
I have to wait at least 5 weeks before i se mine.
How is the cleans and the brit settings,are 3&4 channels pure recto,can you notice the changes,is it better than the1 in your opinion :?:

cheers mesa jed.

Nice pictures...thanks

In the loop section on the back of the amp, are there separate knobs for the send level of each loop? It is hard to see with the all the cables. If there is only one knob, what is it for?

Does the amp really say Series II somewhere on it?

daveythomas said:
In the loop section on the back of the amp, are there separate knobs for the send level of each loop? It is hard to see with the all the cables. If there is only one knob, what is it for?

I don't think there is a send level for each channel anymore. I think there is just an FX on/off switch on the back panel and one master FX loop level knob on the back panel as well.

G.I.G. said:
daveythomas said:

I don't think there is a send level for each channel anymore. I think there is just an FX on/off switch on the back panel and one master FX loop level knob on the back panel as well.

I too have RK S-II. Yes G.I.G you are correct! There is only one FX mix knob. The reverb replaces the send level spot in each channel strip.

daveythomas said:
Nice pictures...thanks

Does the amp really say Series II somewhere on it?

Whether it does or not, the absence of the Pentode switch between the EL 34's should be a dead giveaway. From the front panel, unless they now say Series 2, or 2 or something, I'd imagine they'd be indistinguishable. In the pic dude posted, it looks like there's a "2" after Road King on the logo. But since there should be no reverb cluster, and there should be another tube if the reverb section is now tube, you should be able to tell pretty easily from the back of the amp.

Latest posts

Back