ROAD KING HEAD + 4x12 CLIPS (AND ALSO RECTOVERB!!!!)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aramism

Reaction score
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=643671

nothing special as far as playing goes but for anyone who is intrested in how the road king sounds this will help hopefully.

note: this is recorded with an ibanez sz prestige series with dimarzio virtual hot paf bridge pickup... gives it very vintage feel. ala lamb of god. tried my best to get close to a markish tone on a road king. recording doesn't do it justice. sounds alot better in person. A LOT!

what mics did you use? you should try double tracking (and panning hard left/hard right), it will sound huge compared to just one take, really. You will be more satisfied of the whole result too! however good tone

Heavy rhythm guitars withou double tracking are nothing !
I liked the tone but if you record a song with this huge bass you will smash your bass player.
Take off some bass and you will ready to fly :wink:

@ ytse_jam - fellow DT fan: i am using 2 mics on the cab at the same time. a sennhesier e609 no the top R speaker off axis up against the grille.

i also experimented with the sm57 on the bottom R speaker and it sounded good when pointed down towards the center of the cone from the edge of the cone on the top of the cone. it is against the grille but angled from the top.

@ sombra: when you mean take off some bass you mean eq the lower hz frequencies out???

what i did was the following: i had 2 tracks with each mic i played it ONLY once. i then had both tracks at C and bounced the tracks into a seperate track. i then took that track and panned each L and R.

i had them output into a stereo bus and had a bit of compression on on that bus. that's about it. so each L and R side has a track of a 57 and a 609. the 57 is a little more ambient naturally since its angled and trhe 609 has more sheer volume.

like i said my main goal is recreating the sound i hear in the room.

@ sombra: when you mean take off some bass you mean eq the lower hz frequencies out???

yes a lot of bass there to take off :wink:

Aramism said:
@ ytse_jam - fellow DT fan: i am using 2 mics on the cab at the same time. a sennhesier e609 no the top R speaker off axis up against the grille.

i also experimented with the sm57 on the bottom R speaker and it sounded good when pointed down towards the center of the cone from the edge of the cone on the top of the cone. it is against the grille but angled from the top.

what i did was the following: i had 2 tracks with each mic i played it ONLY once. i then had both tracks at C and bounced the tracks into a seperate track. i then took that track and panned each L and R.

i had them output into a stereo bus and had a bit of compression on on that bus. that's about it. so each L and R side has a track of a 57 and a 609. the 57 is a little more ambient naturally since its angled and trhe 609 has more sheer volume.

like i said my main goal is recreating the sound i hear in the room.
yea, i would lower the bass too. Please the next time try recording with double tracking (playing 2 times!). I really like your tone and you can record huge guitar tones in my opinion.

if it makes that much of a difference i will and post it on here.

i love my tone too that's why i wanna do it justice so i can record stuff.

the bass i have a feeling is becausei fucked up on one of the mic recordings i had it clip on the volume meter thing. some times when i palm mute it goes into the red on the meter. that's what causes the bass overwhelming thing. i hav a feeling if i had corrected that it would be better. anyone agree?

no you are wrong

when i palm mute it goes into the red on the meter. that's what causes the bass overwhelming thing

It goes in red because there is too much bass.
Take the bass out and it wont go in red

take the bass out on my sonar right? not on my amp. meaning after the recording i take the bass out?

dude take the bass out on your amp !!!!!!!!
It is so simple.
Don't you notice in your recording that there is too much bass there ???
take out just it. :wink:

ok i'll try. i just feel that it takes a lot out of the live tone. meaning how it sounds in the room. i'll try though.

yes if there are too much bass coming out of you amp the signal picked up by mics could start clipping i think... even if you take the bass out only then on sonar, you wouldn't avoid clipping, which happens at the beginning. So you turn the bass down, but you're still working on an imperfect clipped signal! so lowering the bass on your amp is the way to go (re-adjust also the other controls if it changes drastically your tone). And, in the end, recording the rhythm part twice ACTUALLY will make your sound huge. You can't compae real double-tracking with just copy/paste the same part, believe me. It is the small differences between the two takes that provide you a big and full sound. Master Of Puppets by Metallica has been recorded with quadruple tracking PLUS another track only for palm mutes which has been put in the center of the mix.

If you just copy/paste the same part and open right and left these 2 parts still sound like they are at the center.
Our brains can't recognize 2 identical sounds.
They think they are the ame so stereo is made by 2 diferent sounds.
That s why you've got to record 2 takes.Even they are the same but the little nuances you do turn it into stereo sound .
You've got to read some record engennering book.
It will open your eyes (ears) :twisted: :twisted:

could you guys or anyone else give me good literature or online resources to read. not like home recording guides. but real books and real sections with quotes from producers. methods that actual producers use stuff like that. please thanks

sombra

more!!!!!!!!! please send more material, articles, links to articles, articles by famous producers like andy sneap maybe or machine (lamb of god) or even books i can buy.....

that was awesome. it helped alot thanks a million let me know if i can help you with anythign ever. though its hard to do online. put it this way if you lived near me this would warrant a beer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aramism said:
sombra

more!!!!!!!!! please send more material, articles, links to articles, articles by famous producers like andy sneap maybe or machine (lamb of god) or even books i can buy.....

that was awesome. it helped alot thanks a million let me know if i can help you with anythign ever. though its hard to do online. put it this way if you lived near me this would warrant a beer!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we don't live near each other at all !
I live in brazil !
I never found another brazilian on this board.

Like Bruce said = We are blood ( beer ) brothers :D

Latest posts

Back