Road King 2x12 combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stchris

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to Mesa Boogie amps. There's a used Road King (original) 2x12 combo at my local Guitar Center for $1500.

Any users of these...their reliability? I'm more into getting a Lonestar or Stiletto Ace but this amp sounded super tasty with lots of options on it tone/sound wise.

Thanks, Chris

stchris said:
Hi, I'm new to Mesa Boogie amps. There's a used Road King (original) 2x12 combo at my local Guitar Center for $1500.

Any users of these...their reliability? I'm more into getting a Lonestar or Stiletto Ace but this amp sounded super tasty with lots of options on it tone/sound wise.

Thanks, Chris

I have it. I really like it a lot.

I especially enjoy the Brit channel.

I have had some problems, but they were pretty much all tube related.

It is very susceptable to the cathode follower issue that plagues some mesa amps. Do a search of this forum on cathode follower and you will find out more.

The cleans are very nice, though definately not as nice as the Lonestar and probably not as nice as the Stilletto.

My only advice is this, if you do not like the Rectifier tone, do not get this amp. Some people are blown away by the features of this amp and think it will produce any tone in the world.

It does produce a lot of tones. But at it's core, channels three and four are all dual rectifier. It may sound slightly different then you standard dual Rec, and it may not.

If your a big dual Rec fan, about the only amp you will like more then this is the Road King 2 for the improved cleans and a few other improvements.

Back