RKII problems AGAIN!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaredface

Reaction score
A couple days ago I noticed my RKII starting too sound thin and very sizzly. Channel two became completely un-playable, it was very harsh tone and the only way i can describe the character of it is "schhhhhhhh" So I replaced the V2 pre-amp tube. and paced thru the channels, everything sounded like it should, I went back to channel 2, flipped it to "brit" mode and bam back to the old way again on channels 2,3,4. I know the V2 is responsible for the first gain stage in all those channels. About a month ago I blew the V3 tube, and I understand that its a "cathode follower" tube (whatever that means) To all you tech out there; does this sound like a common problem? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Just to clarify...

You're saying that, upon switching to Ch.2 Brit you create this "scchhhh" sound, and then ch.2, 3 & 4 all will have this character sound?

I'm not a tech-buff, but I would say that some detailed pre-amp tube diagnosis is in order. Try fiddling with some other pre-amp positions, switching in a known good tube. It could be that maybe you have some noise in V1, which is then being amplified by the other gain stages. It's generally accepted that V1 should be your highest quality and lowest noise tube.

Have you tried switching pre-amp tubes out of the other gain stages?

Yes, everyting works fine, until I engaged the brit mode, then it blows the tube and everything sound shitty, I've replaced it twice now and was able to clarify that was the cause. Im giving mesa a call..5 year warranty is bad ***.

Latest posts

Back