RK1 + JMP-1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocksOff

Reaction score
Dean DeLeo of STP used (and uses Vox AC30's) He only uses a Demeter Pre for a boost/layering type effect for earlier songs.

rabies said:
Overall best live show for me was STP (seen them twice). That guy is one of my favorite guitar players. Great tones.

+1 I think STP are one of the most underated bands ever. Anybody know what the guitar player is up to these days?

Having had the JMP-1 for years I was never really satisfied with the tone. I ende dup selling it and returning to conventional heads. I was running through Marshall tube power amps. For some reason it was never organic enough. The settings also were not close enough between them and often I wanted to be able to get somewhere inbetween say a 4 and a 5. It gives you settings from -6 through 6 but you can't get inbetween numbers. For switching it was fine and actually the unit itself isn't too bad if you accept the preamp what it sounds like.

rabies said:
Russ said:
For some reason it was never organic enough.

probly cuz it only has two 12AX7 tubes...

That is all that Marshall used in their older heads and those seem to sound pretty organic. The third 12AX7 was only ever a PI basically for the power section. There was a PI in the power amps I was using so theoretically it should have sounded pretty similar but it just didn't do it for me. Like I said I had it for years. I just got tired of the thing. The inability to get between the values for the increments and the lack of organic tone is basically what made me sell it.

rabies said:
Russ said:
rabies said:

That is all that Marshall used in their older heads and those seem to sound pretty organic. The third 12AX7 was only ever a PI basically for the power section. There was a PI in the power amps I was using so theoretically it should have sounded pretty similar but it just didn't do it for me. Like I said I had it for years. I just got tired of the thing. The inability to get between the values for the increments and the lack of organic tone is basically what made me sell it.

well the 2205 I had had five 12AX7's. they told me I'd regret selling it. Although I can get close to Marshall sounds with the RK1.

Godflesh kicks ***. As does Michael Jackson.

Like my 2210, your 2205 did have 5 12AX7's you're right. In the case of those amps 1 was you PI, 1 was for your reverb send/return (buffer), and 1 was for the effects loop send and return (buffer). Again this left 2 for the preamp gain stages.

They are doing Army of Anyone with Richard Patrick from Filter. Nothing so memorable as STP. Of course Scott Weiland has entered sucksville with Velvet Revolver. It just goes to show about how a band can be greater than the sum of it's parts.

I have a JMP-1, and yes they can sometimes sound tiring to the ears, but I have found that with most marshalls. They do one tone great, the JMP does a few tones great, but it is pure marshall tones.

As to the two preamp tubes, they are basically there to warm it up and add some natural distortion, however the JMP-1, like the JCM800 Split channels do use diodes for distortion.

But so did most preamps that it was spawned off, the biggest one being the ADA MP-1 which most people in the 80's used as the preamp of choice.

I would really suggest using a JMP-1 going into a recto, however going into the PA directly is fine or using a power amp is also fine. A nice little trick to warm up the JMP's is to use a BBE Sonic maximiser.

Russ said:
rabies said:
Russ said:
For some reason it was never organic enough.

The 2205 tone is in the JMP-1 as well as many other marshalls, not to mention you can also get even higher gain then I think most any production marshall out there.

I know a guy on the JCF board that use to have two JCM 2210's and he got the JMP-1 and the marshall power amp with the 5881's in it and has never looked back. He said it is more reliable and consistant and better tone then his 2210's ever where.

Good combination for a JMP-1 is a Mesa 2:90, with the deep and modern voicing gives you so much more options.

Iron Maiden also used JMP-1's for many years with the marshall power amps modified, I think the modification was that they could use one footswitch to turn both moderns on for each channel

rabies said:
Russ said:
rabies said:

well the 2205 I had had five 12AX7's. they told me I'd regret selling it. Although I can get close to Marshall sounds with the RK1.

Godflesh kicks ***. As does Michael Jackson.

As to four channels, that is true if you just use the footswitch designed for the JMP-1, however it is also MIDI so if you have a MIDI pedal that gives you 128 Channels to choose from.

Oh yeah and vivian cambell from Def leppard uses a Modified JMP-1, i think he had voodoo amps modifiy it to make it more organic sounding.

rabies said:
Has anybody tried this setup? Used JMP-1 are pretty cheap on eBay and you get 4 channels with it and factory presets (plus I think Filter and Ministry used them, as well as Mr. Bungle!)

I want to be able to switch b/n RK1 rectifier channels and JMP-1 channels while using the RK1 as a power amp (slave) for the JMP-1 preamp.

Is this possible or once the RK1 is used as a power amp it's all Marshall tones from there on?

The RK1 manual it said that you plug the external preamp output into the RK1 effects and I guess it mutes the RK1 preamp.

Also states "use the return jack and turn the loop 2 mix in the channel you are using (we suggest channel 1) to 100%". What happens if you use the other RK1 channels? And the RK1 preamp modes (e.g. raw, vintage, tweed, etc) are irrelevant then due to the external preamp hookup?

Well at least I can do either/or (Recto preamp or JMP-1 preamp) and with the 2xEL34 mode it should be really cool. Back in the day Page Hamilton of Helmet ran a JCM 800 into a Mesa power amp. Brutal tone.

This would be cheaper than buying a Stiletto as I'm trying to save money nowadays (I am trying).

Also, can you use headphones on the JMP-1 w/o hooking the unit to a power amp (for home practicing)? That would be REALLY cool. Do any new production Mesa's have headphone jacks? I think my first Mesa, Rocket 440, had it. It also had tremolo.

rabies said:
mesanomad100 said:
just a question,what would the Jmp give that the RK couldnt ????

I've never used one but basically Marshall balls-to-the-wall tone a la Filter and Ministry among many others. High-mids focus. Trey Spruance from Mr. Bungle said that he uses it direct into the PA so no cabs, no power amps, and he gets a sh!t of tones. Check out a Mr. Bungle album, you'll see.

I always have and always will believe that Marshall is the best for blues and hard-rock. Period.

For extreme metal, like Gojira, DR's are a good fit.

DR's don't cut well for leads (unless you're using EL34's).

Sepultura had great rhythm and lead tone on Arise, as did Smashing Pumpkins on Gish. Both of those guitar amps were JCM 800's I believe.
Im sure I heard that SP used JCM 800's modded with KT88's in the power section as well as a **** load of other mods :D:D:D

Oh yeah and vivian cambell from Def leppard uses a Modified JMP-1, i think he had voodoo amps modifiy it to make it more organic sounding.

You are correct we have modified 7-8 JMP-1 preamps for Vivian and they recently used a V-Plex 50 watt hear on the recording of their new album that they are wrapping up right now. Viv is one of the nicest guys that it's been my pleasure to meet and it goes without saying that he is an incredible player.

Have a great day
Trace

Hi,

I actually stopped using my JMP-1 for a long time because it sounded too thin with my previous set up. Dragged it back out when I got my LSC and went straight into the Loop Return and it sounds great now - I was really impressed!!! I love using my LSC just 'as is' but the JMP-1 now sits in a mini rack with a signal processor for covers gigs where lots of different sounds are needed. All i need now is to save for the G-System for amp switching and I could actually use the JMP-1 and LSC Pre-amp as part of the same rig, which will add another dimension.

And before anyone jumps all over me, I love my LSC pre-amp i'm just experimenting :)

To the original poster, you can use the JMP-1 without an amp for practicing. It has a headphone socket on the front.

D

Latest posts

Back