Review of LS Classic w/ Yellowjacket EL-84 adaptors...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockhound76s

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I just wanted to share my experiences so far with my new Lonestar Classic combo. A short while ago I was torn between buying a Classic or Special as I loved attributes of each. I spent 4 weekends at various stores testing them out before my purchase of the Lonestar Classic 1x12 combo in Blue Bronco/Silver Grille

I found out that I loved the LSC for the headroom of its sparkling clean tones. The lead channel I didn't care for. Not that it wasn't great, but I felt that it didn't offer anything that I couldn't coax out of my Mark IV.

The Special, however, had a drive channel voicing that was to die for with the EL84's...distinctly different but beautiful nonetheless. The problem I had with the clean channel was that I was running out of headroom at loud volumes.

I finally decided clean tones were the most important, so I went with the Classic 1x12 Combo and bought a set of THD Yellowjackets with JJ EL-84 tubes. Good God, this setup is killer.

I am running the Yellowjackets in the outer two slots, with the stock 6L6's in the middle. I run the amp on Tweed Power, with 100 watts (all 4 powertubes in use) selected Ch1 and 50 watts on Ch2 (only the EL-84's).

In 100 watt mode, the clean on CH 1 gains another dimension that sets it way apart from the cleans on my Mark IV and the stock Lonestar. It retains all the 6l6 bloom and chime, but adds a bit of el-84 jangle and sparkle that sounds awesome. It also reduces the bass a tad (which was more than ample with the 6l6's alone) and maintains tremendous headroom for my needs. Switching to 50 watts puts only the EL-84's to use, and I get an alternate clean sound that is bright and jangly, and VERY similar in voicing to the LSS (from what I remember of my demos at the store). The big difference is that there is a more bass, probably due to the larger cabinet design.

On CH2, I have the Drive disengaged and the Gain cranked for a dirty blues tone. On 50 watts, (again only using the EL84s) i get a similar but slightly bassier tone than I was getting with the LSS Combo. Engaging the drive with a moderate level and things get into heavy blues territory, (esp on the neck pickup of my Les Paul). Flipping to 100 watts, I am getting liquidy sustain, but with a slightly different voicing and a more immediate feel from the EL84's. The response is really pronounced at higher gain and drive settings where harmonics fly off the strings effortlessly.

Sorry for the long post, but I am SO fired up about this amp. I noticed that there have been quite a few LSS vs. LSC threads, so I hope that some of you try this option, as I am getting the best of both worlds. While the Yellowjackets are not gonna magically change the LSC into Special, it gets 90% there, and adds another dimension to an already versatile amp.

Thanks for a very interesting post. I had a LSS and ran out of headroom as your's did. The LS solved that problem and I am really happy with the 4 Ruby 6L6's I installed. Your tube setup sounds like somethingthat takes a great amp even further.
But the LSS really had sweet drive channel tones that still stand out in my mind. Glad to hear your tube swap was successful.

That sounds like a nice setup.

I've been thinking about swapping the EL-34's in my RK1 for some yellowjackets and EL-84's. I wonder if it's safe to put yellowjackets in the RK1. I'll have to call both Mesa and THD to find out.

Did you do the same adaptors setup on your Mark-IV?
can you review that?

radmo said:
Did you do the same adaptors setup on your Mark-IV?
can you review that?

The Mark IV has a switch in the back that lets you run the poweramp as SimulClass or Class A. The voicing in Class A is very similar to using the Yellowjackets. It gives the amp a more immediate, punchy feel, with a quick attack. I prefer to use the Yellowjackets in the Lonestar, because the Mark IV has tons of knobs and switches, and I am very happy with the settings I have now. Using the Yellowjackets force me to adjust the EQ and power switches, which I prefer not to do. This way, I use the Mark IV for my hard rock/metal tones, and the lonestar for blues/classic rock tones.

Hey Rockhound, I bet the THD yellow jackets will only shoe-horn into a Combo Amp, yes? I have a Lonestar Classic Short-Head, and I looked - there isn't much extra height in there - don't the yellow jackets make the tubes extend down? And by how much? Is a Lonestar head out of luck with one of these installations?

I know that THD makes two different sizes of YJ's including a shorter version for tighter installations. I own the short version YJ's and they do NOT fit in my Mark IV short head. I would assume you would have the same clearance issues for your Lonestar Classic Short head (although I've never seen a Lonestar short head in person so I could be wrong). I would recommend calling THD (www.thdelectronics.com), they are helpful with quesions regarding compatibility with different amps. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back