Reverb stopped working--Dual Rectifier Trem-O-Verb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMM

Reaction score
Hi,

I apologize if this has been answered in another thread, but I couldn't find an answer in my searches.
I just bought a used Trem-O-Verb ($1,200), and I just started playing it today--it sounds AWESOME. The problem is, all of the sudden the reverb stopped working. It was working fine, and then it just went away. It may have been when I switched from Vintage High Gain to Clean, but I had played on all four settings previously, and the reverb was working on all of them.
I am not skilled with electronics, so I have no clue what to do or what the possible problem could be. When I turn the reverb knob, there is an audible change in tone of the guitar sound, but it's definitely NOT reverb(ing). I don't know how old the tubes are, but they're all Mesa tubes, and they look good (no white residue, etc...). V1 and V2 are both SPAX7's, and the rest are 12AX7s.

Any advice or knowledge any of you can offer me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

According to the manual, V5 is the reverb driver tube. Also, you might want check the connections from the reverb tank to be sure they are fully attached. Great amp. Good Luck !

mike

mefgames said:
According to the manual, V5 is the reverb driver tube. Also, you might want check the connections from the reverb tank to be sure they are fully attached. Great amp. Good Luck !

mike
Thanks Mike!

Well, I put the amp back together, and now the reverb is working. I guess the gray and white wires must've been loose or something. This is my first 'real' amp, and I can't believe how amazing my guitar playing (not to mention my Epiphone guitars themselves) sound through this amp. This is the most expensive piece of musical equipment I've ever bought, and it's WORTH IT! I was thinking of upgrading to a Gibson guitar, because I have all epiphones, but a friend of mine said a high-quality amp is a better purchase, and he was right. My old amps are a couple Crate heads and a Peavy Classic 30 combo (powering Sunn O))) 4x10 cab). I'm playing my Trem-O-Verb through my Peavey 5150 4X12 cab. I am in love with my Mesa.

Thanks again Mike.

I'm so freaking excited! :mrgreen:

Glad it worked out for you. Nothing like buying an amp, and having to repair it immediately. These Trems are probably one of Mesa's best. Great versatility from clean to crunch. You might want to think about eventually replacing the tubes. I bought mine used, and played it for about a year, then changed over from EL 34's to 6L6's. It made quite a difference. I changed out all the preamp tubes and the rectifiers as well. There is also a great footswitch out there made by VooDooMan specifically for the Trem that makes it a bit easier to use as well.

Mike

In terms of a gibson Les Paul, save your money. Sorry but I have played quite a few different Les Pauls and I found one i really liked which was a 58 reissue. My brother has a studio (crap) and i recently started working at this music rental place so i got to try a new LP Custom plugged into a modded marshall stack. Sounded pretty good but then i tried with an SG and it really opened up!

as far as I can tell the newer Gibsons are basically expensive Epiphones. Check out a PRS theyre really really nice and still have that vintage kind of feel to them. Also if youre short on cash try out an SE. I own one and its amazingly versatile without coming out like a 1980's inspired shredder type.

lerxst88 said:
as far as I can tell the newer Gibsons are basically expensive Epiphones.

Ahh, I own a few Les Paul's and can tell you this statement is completely ridiculous. A well set up gibson smokes, flat out smokes.

lerxst88 said:
In terms of a gibson Les Paul, save your money. Sorry but I have played quite a few different Les Pauls and I found one i really liked which was a 58 reissue. My brother has a studio (crap) and i recently started working at this music rental place so i got to try a new LP Custom plugged into a modded marshall stack. Sounded pretty good but then i tried with an SG and it really opened up!

as far as I can tell the newer Gibsons are basically expensive Epiphones. Check out a PRS theyre really really nice and still have that vintage kind of feel to them. Also if youre short on cash try out an SE. I own one and its amazingly versatile without coming out like a 1980's inspired shredder type.
thanks for the input! Yeah, the Les Paul studio's seem pretty crappy to me--if I get a Gibson, I want to get a Traditional or the one with the P-90s in it. I've heard good things about PRS--one of my buddies got one of the cheaper ones--like in the $500 range, and loves it.

Fixxer6671 said:
lerxst88 said:
as far as I can tell the newer Gibsons are basically expensive Epiphones.

Ahh, I own a few Les Paul's and can tell you this statement is completely ridiculous. A well set up gibson smokes, flat out smokes.
:D

I believe you. I think I'll still get a nice Gibson Les Paul some day... They seem like the perfect guitar to me.

well, the reverb keeps cutting out on me. It works when I first turn on the amp, but after about 10 minutes or so, it stops working.

Also, the amp doesn't sound nearly as good as it did the first day when I received it in the mail... Part of that is one of the SUNN O))) speakers in my 4x10 is rattling, but even going through my Peavey 5150 4x12 it doesn't sound as good. Especially when on the high gain channels. Dammit--I knew I shouldn't have spent 1,000 dollars on something from Ebay.

:( :cry:

Sorry to hear about the Trem problems. Did you try replacing the tubes ? Based on going prices, I don't think what you paid was way out of line. It's just disappointing to have to start fixing from day one, when all you want to do is play. If you've done everything you can, take it an AUTHORIZED Mesa dealer. At least when you get it back, you'll know it's up to factory specs. This is one of the best amps Mesa ever made IMHO. You could always call Mesa direct, 707-778-6565. They are very helpful. If you need a manual, go to the Mesa website, and download it. It has the tube layout listed. Good Luck.......

mike

mefgames said:
Sorry to hear about the Trem problems. Did you try replacing the tubes ? Based on going prices, I don't think what you paid was way out of line. It's just disappointing to have to start fixing from day one, when all you want to do is play. If you've done everything you can, take it an AUTHORIZED Mesa dealer. At least when you get it back, you'll know it's up to factory specs. This is one of the best amps Mesa ever made IMHO. You could always call Mesa direct, 707-778-6565. They are very helpful. If you need a manual, go to the Mesa website, and download it. It has the tube layout listed. Good Luck.......

mike
thanks for all your input Mike. I think what I'm going to do is call Mesa on Monday. In addition, I'm going to buy a whole new set of tubes (from Mesa). Hopefully it's just a tube thing. I've already read the manual a million times (great manual, by the way--I highly recommend it! :mrgreen: )...
I can hear the springs vibrating through the speakers when I bang on the amp. Hope it's not one of those cases I read about where a wire got snipped. I suck at fixing electronics...

DMM said:
when you call Mesa Boogie, who do you talk to? Customer Service? Or Repairs?

:?:

hey man, did you ever fix it? I have the same problem just that mine never worked. I don't think it's a problem of tubes really.

Sir Punk said:
DMM said:

hey man, did you ever fix it? I have the same problem just that mine never worked. I don't think it's a problem of tubes really.
I haven't gotten it fixed yet. I don't have enough money to buy a new set of tubes at the moment, plus--I agree with you--I don't think it's a tube problem... The wierd part is that the reverb works sometimes, and then suddenly it just won't work anymore.. Does your reverb ever work, or is it constanly off? Mine actually works about half of the time, so I don't think I'm going to make alot of effort to get it fixed anytime soon. I have other issues with it, as well--for example, the Master control on the Orange Channel is scratchy and only works at certain settings... :?
All in all, though--it's a great sounding amp--just wish the Reverb worked 100% of the time.
Does yours make the springy reverb sound when you bang on the amp? Mine does.

as far as the master knob on your TOB being scratchy I would be willing to bet it needs a new pot.

DMM said:
Sir Punk said:
DMM said:

I haven't gotten it fixed yet. I don't have enough money to buy a new set of tubes at the moment, plus--I agree with you--I don't think it's a tube problem... The wierd part is that the reverb works sometimes, and then suddenly it just won't work anymore.. Does your reverb ever work, or is it constanly off? Mine actually works about half of the time, so I don't think I'm going to make alot of effort to get it fixed anytime soon. I have other issues with it, as well--for example, the Master control on the Orange Channel is scratchy and only works at certain settings... :?
All in all, though--it's a great sounding amp--just wish the Reverb worked 100% of the time.

mine doesn't work at all, and yes when I bang on it I can hear the springs through the cabinet. I called mesa and Michael told me to change the tube in V5, I did but nothing changed. Also if I have the reverb up and the gain down to 1 or 2 it creates some pops and cracks in the sound. that is so weird. I took apart the amp and checked all the connections and it's all good.
as far as your problem, try to spray some contact cleaner in the pot from the inside of the chassis. it's easy to do, then turn the knob back and forth a bunch of time. if that doesn't improve things you might have to change the pot.

Sir Punk said:
DMM said:
Sir Punk said:

mine doesn't work at all, and yes when I bang on it I can hear the springs through the cabinet. I called mesa and Michael told me to change the tube in V5, I did but nothing changed. Also if I have the reverb up and the gain down to 1 or 2 it creates some pops and cracks in the sound. that is so weird. I took apart the amp and checked all the connections and it's all good.
as far as your problem, try to spray some contact cleaner in the pot from the inside of the chassis. it's easy to do, then turn the knob back and forth a bunch of time. if that doesn't improve things you might have to change the pot.
did you take apart the reverb tank and look in there? I haven't been able to get my tank open to look in it--I'm not skilled at amp or guitar repairs when it comes to electronics... I'll try to spray out the POT. It's wierd--I can spin it all the way around--it pulls out a little bit, and you can just keep turning it infinitely...

yes I did take apart the reverb tank, the springs are connected and everything is fine. I hope Mike calls me back and I will also try to replace V1 as someone suggested.

Latest posts

Back