retubing triple rectifer / pulling a duet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaredrutledge

Reaction score
i've been running my triple for like two years with the outside set of el34's pulled and a rectifier tube pulled. i really like the sound of the el34's in the power section, and was thinking of maybe doing a complete retube before i bring it back to sydney, perhaps with the EH tubes from dougstubes. does anybody have any el34 suggestions for the amp?

also, i heard someone say once it's a bad idea to pull a duet in a triple, but i believe the mesa techs told me it was ok. thoughts?

I never really cared for the EH EL34. Tried them in a different amp I owned and felt they were stiff and lifeless. The SED =C= EL34 is nice, and the GT E34LS also.

One pair of power tubes pulled in the Triple is fine, I did that with one I owned for years with no troubles.

Dom

I never had the need for pulling a duet out... but that is because I prefer the clean headroom with the Triple versus the Double... there is a significant difference to my ears (IMHO).

I did not like the EL34's... it just took away the Triple Rec sound and made it more Marshall-esque than my tastes preferred. I would have kept the Stilleto if that was going to be the case...

well the nice thing about putting el34's in a TR is that i get a little tighter and more midrange sound, while still retaining the recto voicing. 6l6's just sound too throaty for me, but i don't like marshalls either.

anyways i think i might get the EH 6ca7, the reviews on those said they weren't as sterile as the el34's

I have a pair of EL34's from EH in my 3ch dual and i love the sound. i haven't tired any other brands yet though.

Latest posts

Back