Retubing my Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatDamnSG

Reaction score
The time has come to put a fresh set of tubes...power and pre in my Mark IV. This is the first fixed bias amp I've ever owned and I always biased my own amps before (older Marshalls). That said....is it ok to use power tubes other than Mesa branded tubes? I got the amp used and it was loaded with 2 Ruby Tube 6L6's, 2 GT EL-34's, and all Ruby 12AX7's. So I have no idea what ratings/color codes the original power tubes had. What't the best way to go about this without going broke on tubes. I really don't buy into the whole "use our tubes with our name on it" deal from Mesa....love my Mark IV, but the tube thing irks me a bit. Advice?

The boogies are about a 4/5/6 on the Groove Tube scale.

The is a pretty simple mod that can be done to make the bias adjustable.

Mesa does very good matching. They have six color codes that all fall within a range of a good spec tube. Mesa needs to keep a tight range as their grid biased amps have a fixed bias and therefore expect a tube plugged into the amp to be a tube that meets design spec as tubes did "in the old days". Their color code is as follows: Red, yellow, green, gray, blue, white. The cross reference to GT stuff is that all the Mesa tubes fall into a GT 4-6 range with red and yellow bing a GT 4, green and gray being at GT 5 and blue and white being a GT 6.

GT would take tubes that had problems such as improper test results from being assembled wrong or whatever, tubes which fell outside design range and put them into their low range (1-3) or high range (8-10) and put something of a marketing twist on things describing that a low tube (weak tube) would break up sooner (of course ... it was a weak tube out of spec) and was best for folks that wanted a strong amp to distort sooner. High number tubes (8-10) were best for clean players, jazz or bass as they stayed clean longer. Unfortunately, these out of spec tubes even when properly biased could and generally would exhibit problems more quickly than a tube that was assembled properly.

On Mesa tubes I prefer the blue and white color codes as they are generally the most close to design spec. of the tube type.

Hey, Thanks for the info. Looks like the previous owner put a mess of unmatched tubes in it....only the pre's are consistant....consistantly crappy at that.

I loved the EL34 in my Mark III but never liked them in my mark IV.
All 6L6 for me.

I screwed around with this more than a bit.
I found Mesa was the best place to buy tubes for my Mesa amps.

Just tell them what the tubes are going in and ask for Blue or White.

After that change out V1 with other tubes. As this tube effects tone / gain / etc more than any other tube. You may find something you like better in there.

I have had a Mark amp around since 82 and the IV since 89.

Back