retolexing....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdurso

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good place to get a 4x12 halfback retolexed in the NJ/NY area?

I'm pretty sure i'll be picking one up used this weekend and it looks like from the pics the tolex needs an upgarde.... i'm also looking at taking off the metal grille and throwing a salt and pepper grille on it.... i kinda did the vintage look the splawns and newer vhts have with that type grille

If you have the time a retolex job isn't that bad.... you can save yourself some money and do it yourself... take a look at the "grill removal" thread... Just did a retolex of a marshall cab, wasn't easy but it really isn't all that difficult.... just takes patience....

yeah i was thinking about doing it myself but 1) i dont want to mess it up and 2) if getting it done by someone who knows how doesnt cost that much than i think i'm willing to pay for it

BTW did you do it with one whole piece of tolex? i graduated with an engineering degree and built many complicated machines in college but for some reason i'm some what reluctant to do something like this myself

any opinion on replacing the metal grille with a salt and pepper grille? Is that a sin to the mesa gods? :twisted:

Yea, it was done with one piece.... yea, putting S&P grill cloth on a mesa is a sin..... But it looks so much better......

Just as an FYI, these guys sell tolex:

http://www.tubeampparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=A&Category_Code=TC

I'm in the same boat as you. I have been looking everywhere trying to find someplace that will retolex my guitar cabinets. I would love to turn my orange cab, black(love the sound, but not the look). If you find any thing, let me know. I'll do the same! Goodluck-

How much would you charge (including materials) to do an Orange 4x12 cabinet?
-Change orange Tolex to Black
-Change Gold Piping to White
-Change tan grill cloth to Black

Checkout www.mojomusicalsupply.com! They have everything you need for redoing a cabinet or if you ship your cab to them they will do it for a decent price.

rajones71 said:
Is there anyone that sells 'authentic' mesa tolex? from what I've seen its all 'like fender' or 'like marshall'....

www.ampwares.com

Exact same stuff. I used it for two cabs I built.

cab_1.JPG

cab_2.JPG

cab_3.JPG

cab_4.JPG

cab_5.JPG

cab_6.JPG

Back