replacing the ROV, maybe w/ a Lonestar . . . thoughts?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaughtLikeFire

Reaction score
I like my Rectoverb head but it's definitely not a "lifetime" amp that I want to have forever. I'll be working at Guitar Center for the next 6-8 weeks (way too many hours for way too little $$ so I'm quitting) and I have a chance to get a Mesa amp at 40% off (Lonestar head for $1000 shipped 8) ).

Since the biggest weakness of the ROV for me is the cleans, I was thinking of going with a Lonestar head to match up with my Rectifier Traditional 4x12 cab. I mess around with modern metal sounds periodically but not enough to really make the Rectifier preamp a priority -I'd rather have access to Fender cleans and vintage high gain sounds similar to the Mark IV.

Think this setup would be alright? Everybody seems to get the Lonestar combos with Mesa C90s/Celestion Vintage Leads but I'm thinking that the Lonestar head with a cab full of V30s would be killer, kind of like a boutique version of the Fender Supersonic half stack.

$1k for a brand new LS is a no brainer...given your sonic interests, it's a logical move.

I'd check in to the Roadster..... It has the lonestar clenas (or pretty close) and the Recto tones. I'm happy with mine. I ALMOST got a Lonestar or a Dr. Z before getting the Roadster, but the roadster is a great amp with terriffic cleans to boot too.

tele_jas said:
I'd check in to the Roadster..... It has the lonestar clenas (or pretty close) and the Recto tones. I'm happy with mine. I ALMOST got a Lonestar or a Dr. Z before getting the Roadster, but the roadster is a great amp with terriffic cleans to boot too.

my hesitation is that its four channels. not that Mesa can't do it, but it's much tougher to get great tone from a super-complicated 4 channel front end. it is only ~$150 more than the Lonestar though . . .

just not sure if the extra circuitry and modern hi-gain channel are worth it for me though.

Never played the Roadster (stripped down RK II), but Mesa Nailed it with the RK II, Lonestar cleans....perhaps better...I played both side by side two straight days for about 2+ hours each day before I ordered by RK II. I say maybe better because of the progressive linkage not available in the LS.

I had purchased a LS, but when I played the RK II, I returned the LS...bear in mind I had purchased my LS when GC was blowing them out for $1200....it was a tough decision given the price cut of the LS....but I had to go with the ultra versatility and tones of the RK.

Back