Replace all 5 preamp tunes in a Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkIVwidebody

Reaction score
Getting conflicting opinions about just swapping lead gain stages or all at once. I want more gain and was wondering what all new tungsols would do.

1. If youre gonna get new tubes invest the extra money in NOS
2. Do some research on 12AX7 preamp tubes and learn something
3. Use a boost pedal for more tube gain

dmt said:
2. Do some research on 12AX7 preamp tubes and learn something
3. Use a boost pedal for more tube gain
This is called doing research. Why be so smart-assed about it? I have all stock Mesa tubes. The preamp tube info is contradictory and anecdotal. Too much of it is based on preference. Actually I just boosted it with a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal and it sounds a little fuller which is what I was trying to do. You guys remind me of Harmony Central. All critical and not much on the help side. I guess I got what I need so flame away....I don't care about internet tough guys with 10,000 posts and all of that bullshit.

CudBucket said:
dmt said:

-100 LOL classic. Yep, just a matter of preference. A lot of people think those are over-rated. I'm leaving the preamps alone but I ordered some Ruby 6L6 (set of 4) to see what they do and because my friend got a Mark IV head on ebay today with mis-matched tubes.

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
More gain from a MKIV ??? :shock: What tubes are in it currently ??
I'm thinking that's the first version? My friend has a MK IV and it DOESN'T have a lot of gain. Maybe the second edition ones have more?

Depending on how old your stock tubes are, I don't think you will see too much of a difference with the Ruby's if the mesa's are relatively new. I really suggest getting a few different preamp tubes and switching them in and out of different slots to get a feel for what each sounds like, and also a feel of what you like in each slot. At around $10-$15 each its easy enough on the wallet to do.

Also about using the Line 6 Uber Metal pedal as a boost, I really would not recommend this as this pedal is not intended as a clean boost. It's a distortion pedal which is different than an Overdrive pedal. Overdrive pedals will also give a much smoother and fuller sound, I really suggest a Maxon OD808 or an Fulltone OCD.

But, by you saying that you want more gain from a Mark IV, and that the Line 6 Uber Metal made the sound "better", makes me think that maybe the amp may not be for you, and that a Recto would suite your ears better. Anyway, good luck on your quest for ultimate tone!(From my experience I'm pretty sure it never ends :lol: .)

Esromeron said:
Depending on how old your stock tubes are, I don't think you will see too much of a difference with the Ruby's if the mesa's are relatively new. I really suggest getting a few different preamp tubes and switching them in and out of different slots to get a feel for what each sounds like, and also a feel of what you like in each slot. At around $10-$15 each its easy enough on the wallet to do.
Agreed!
Maybe a nice preamp package from Doug www.dougstubes.com , he will provide you with a nice mix.

Back