Replace a MK III or Try a DC-5?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

destropiate

Reaction score
I'm thinking of replacing a Mark III that I had sold a couple years ago, but while researching i stumbled across the Dual Caliber series :shock:
The only problem I had with the mark was the shared EQ across 3 channels basically rendered it a 2 channel amp in a live situation. I loved the high gain sounds I got out of that amp, just didn't like having to twist knobs when I felt like playing clean. The DC-5 seems pretty great due to the separate control for the 2 channels so I can get a heavy lead sound and then switch to a good clean.

Basically I just want to know if the build quality of the Dual Caliber series is up to snuff with the Mark's, and if the lead channel is similar (or if i can make it so with the EQ) to the lead channel on A Mark III. I heard that these sound like a pissed off Mark but i gotta say on the lead channel my Mark III sounded pretty pissed off already.

The DCs are rock solid well built amps. They are not as middy as a mark III. Also they have more gain on tap.

I actually did the same thing years ago. I had an 87 red stripe simul head that I later sold. I picked up a DC-5 about 3-4 yrs ago and loved the separate controls and almost get 3 channels if I toggle btwn EQ/no-EQ on the lead channel. Clean is nice and spanky and dialed in with no compromise. I will say the lead channel is more up front and in your face than the sponginess of the simul sound but I like both ( and have both now). I can't say the lead sound is quite as liquid as the MK series but I don't send time doing comparative tests either. I heard another post say its more recto sounding but I've never played a recto. One thing I found is with the MK3 I do tend to dial back the highs more than on the DC5.
If you pick up a DC, you won't be disappointed. You will want to do 2 mods though: change the fx loop to serial and the master vol mod as well. Instructions for both are on this forum and cost nothing if you are handy and know how to not get dead when opening an amp. ;-) I would imagine the mods would be cheap if you can't do them yourself.
try one if you can. good luck

I used a DC5 from 1992-3 until 2006. never failed on me...still sounds amazing. I'm actually selling it if you're interested.
it's a DC5 1 x 12 combo. roadcase, new tubes. all options. sounds fanrastic

The DCs have a slightly "bigger" sound for rhythm than a Mark III, I think that's where the recto comparison comes from. I don't know if I'd say it had more gain than a Mark III, but it does have a little more *useful* gain. They're a good bargain used, and if you'd rather have a more complex crunch rhythm sound than the outta-the-way-this-mix-is-mine Mark III lead I'd go for the DC.

The only one I played was a DC-10 head, though, not sure if the headroom difference on a DC-10 would matter.

dcgdc5 said:
I used a DC5 from 1992-3 until 2006. never failed on me...still sounds amazing. I'm actually selling it if you're interested.
it's a DC5 1 x 12 combo. roadcase, new tubes. all options. sounds fanrastic

Thanks for the offer, I'm in the process of moving so i don't think ill be picking one up until I get into the new place though. If you haven't sold it in about a month I'll be getting in touch.

A Mark III and a DC-5 are completely different amps. The Mark III (and, all the Marks, really) are extremely smooth amps, yet with some nice bite. The DC amps, in my opinion, are almost.... grainy and too compressed. I tried it out a few times (I teach at a store that's a Mesa dealer, so I play these amps all the time) and I didn't care for it at all. Maybe you'll like it, though. Just understand that it's not even close to a III, though.

I don't think I would ever describe the DC-5 as grainy, in fact if anything I think it's a touch too smooth! Talking lead channel here...

Fxrs said:
I don't think I would ever describe the DC-5 as grainy, in fact if anything I think it's a touch too smooth! Talking lead channel here...
+1

Funny usually the DC's are described as darker meaner smoother compared to marks...

giorikas81 said:
Funny usually the DC's are described as darker meaner smoother compared to marks...
+1
I bought one new in 92, still gigging with it. Rock solid, never an issue, has never let me down! The above mentioned mods are neccesary for best performance. I use clean channel with OD's and there are a ton of tones to be had. You won't be disappointed.

billboogie said:
giorikas81 said:
+1
I bought one new in 92, still gigging with it. Rock solid, never an issue, has never let me down! The above mentioned mods are neccesary for best performance. I use clean channel with OD's and there are a ton of tones to be had. You won't be disappointed.
+2

My old DC5 was a metal machine. It got the **** beat out of it in the road and never had a problem other than tubes

I've had a Mark III red stripe as my main amp for years and last year I picked up a DC-5 I found on craigslist for cheap. It's a great amp for sure, especially for the price you can find them for. I found the DC-5 to be smoother, darker, and just a bit fuller than the Mark III. The Mark III had more sustain and gain saturation. When I boosted the DC-5 with my TS-808, it sounded very close to the Mark III though (which doesn't really need a boost to sound super metal).

I ended up trading the DC-5 head + an Orange 212 cab for a Studio Preamp + 2:100 rack. They were both badass rigs, but I ended up selling the rack rig as well and now just have the Mark III. She's all I ever need 8)

Been using a Fuchs ODS the last couple of years. every so often I'll bring out my MKIIB. Amazing amp that is very touch sensitive and dynamic. On Saturday I fired up my DC5 again after not playing it for a couple of years. Wow. Amazing amp that once it's dialed in is simply fantastic. Controlled feedback (singing) on every note, smooth and dynamic. A little dark but with a nice bloom on the notes. Still thinking of selling it but Saturday has given me reservations. I think I'll miss it.

Hi everyone, first post. Just been lurking, reading and lurking a bit more. lol!

I have both amps and my 2 cents:

The MK III has a smoother lead sound and does the mid low-mid growl extremely well. Scoop the mids and you're in Metallicaland! Good Fendery cleans as well.

DC-5 has a more modern sounding voice similar to a Dual Rec only without the over compressed fizzy sound :roll: Real nasty sounding amp with gain to spare. Clean is good, maybe not quite as good as the MK III but having 2 seperate eq sections more than makes up for it.

Basically, you can't go wrong with either but if I had to pick between the two I'd say the DC-5 as it's just a bit more versatile. Been my main road warrior for years.

Back