Replace 3 Channel Triple with Multi-watt Dual?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamTXBK

Reaction score
Hey guys. Toying with the idea of getting into a Multi-watt Dual. Currently have a Triple loaded with EL34s. I'm quite happy with the sound I get from it, I love the EL34 crunch! I play a little of everything, primarily metal.

Main reason for considering the switch are the new features; channel voicings, serial loop (had my parallel converted), etc. Also I don't really "need" a Triple. Love the massive headroom, but even live you can only go so loud without the sound engineer hating you. I figure you can a little more warmth by getting in the "sweet-spot" sooner of the power amp with 100 watt versus 150.

Have tried a new Dual, but have not A/B'd compared to mine. Will I miss the headroom? Worth the switch? Haven't tried a Roadster or Mark V.

I'd consider a Triple. I'd have to A/B them to see if I'd still like the Triple.

YellowJacket said:
Why not get a Reborn Triple?
Because the reason adam told: dont need to get so loud to the tone get the sweet spot. For me the dual (reborn or not) is the ideal wattage - dont need to put so hard as the triple nor have the "lack" of headroom of the single. Just my opinion...

Reborn triple also has a switch to cut down to 50 watt, if i was buying I would go for a new born triple

boss4 said:
YellowJacket said:
Why not get a Reborn Triple?
Because the reason adam told: dont need to get so loud to the tone get the sweet spot. For me the dual (reborn or not) is the ideal wattage - dont need to put so hard as the triple nor have the "lack" of headroom of the single. Just my opinion...

Has no one else made the switch? Honestly I wouldn't see myself using the 50 watt mode much. Unless I wanted a smoother lead channel. It's more of a bonus thing for me. I'm more intrigued by the re-voiced channels.

I LOVE the sound of the reborn recto's. The only reason why I haven't gotten one is because of the price...can't afford anything like that. Though I guess you'd be taking a chance on not being able to find 'that' sound that you dialed in and love on your 3ch...I have heard about that happening for some.

I did exactly that, from a 3 channel Triple Rec to the new Reborn Dual Recs a couple years ago and couldn't be happier. Everything about the Reborn head sounds better in my opinion, and the dual definitely doesn't struggle at all to get to concert level. I play in Drop B and didn't notice any loss in dynamics with the lack of 50 watts, and I love being able to switch between 50 and 100 watts on each channel. I get compliments all the time about how people didn't know a Rectifier could sound that good, and I would recommend the Reborn to anything other than maybe a Rev C 2-channel, however, I might even say over those, due to the fact that I use all 3 channels on my heads and love having that extra flexibility and a beautiful sounding clean channel! Also, try Mesa EL-34's in it if you get a chance. I love both, but, the EL's have an awesome upper mid tone that punches through any mix, and the cleans are fantastic.

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
I did exactly that, from a 3 channel Triple Rec to the new Reborn Dual Recs a couple years ago and couldn't be happier. Everything about the Reborn head sounds better in my opinion, and the dual definitely doesn't struggle at all to get to concert level. I play in Drop B and didn't notice any loss in dynamics with the lack of 50 watts, and I love being able to switch between 50 and 100 watts on each channel. I get compliments all the time about how people didn't know a Rectifier could sound that good, and I would recommend the Reborn to anything other than maybe a Rev C 2-channel, however, I might even say over those, due to the fact that I use all 3 channels on my heads and love having that extra flexibility and a beautiful sounding clean channel! Also, try Mesa EL-34's in it if you get a chance. I love both, but, the EL's have an awesome upper mid tone that punches through any mix, and the cleans are fantastic.

-AJH

Awesome! Just what I wanted to hear! haha. No concern with a slight bit of headroom loss with EL34s at higher volumes? Frankly 150 watts is a lot. I recently did some touring with big shows and Blackstar 100 watt heads and even in big venues I didn't get it past 25% volume. That's why I think a new Dual would "sit" just a little nicer than a triple overall. I could see the triple working better if you were running a full stack maybe, just for a little extra juice.

Latest posts

Back