removing diamondplate from recto face?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredd_r69

Reaction score
Is there a way to remove the diamondplate from the front of a recto head? I wanted to take it to a fab shop and have it black chromed. I think the black on black would look sick as a mutha f*****! Thanks for any advice you can give!

I just spun mine around and had a look. Looks like it's glued to the head shell. I couldn't see any screws other than the ones that hold the logo on the front and that was not connectied to the wood.

. My guess is it's epoxied to the wood front. If there's not much epoxy it may not be that hard. You may damage the wood trying to remove it from the headshell.

I agree it would look sweet, especially with a powder coated glossy finish. The old blackfaces were matte. If your serious about this you may want to buy an additional headshell and try it. If it works you can resell the undamaged headshell.

They use epoxy and double sided tape. You probably want to use heat to take it off because when I removed mine i pulled out some chunks of MDF particle board from the head shell.

Greg

I talked to Mesa and they said removing the Plate would absolutely tear the wood apart......... I took a high quality Flat black to mine and it does look really good, actually i was covering up a bad attempt by someone that owned it before me. I think next im going to throw on some Black Chrome knobs as well.

Click to enlarge

actually, I took a heat gun to it for about a half hour, then with some careful but forceful cohersion, it came right off. No bending or tearing of wood, just alot of hard to peal double sided tape! What kind of finish did you use? That looks great!

If I ever get a used Dual Recto I'd like to do the same.

Khaos did you remove yours from the head shell or leave it in? Looks good.

I'm confused. Are you removing the diamond plate from the wood after its removed from the head shell or are you removing the diamond plate and wood as one piece from the head shell?

PICS! :D

Hey thanks for the compliments, I did not remove the front plate just for fear that i would wreck the wood underneath but thats awesome you got yours off with relative ease. As far as when i painted i just removed the head from the shell as to make sure nothing would catch any over spray or what have you and then taped off the rest.
There is no finish its just a high Q High heat flat black that i got from a friend that paints cars so you may want to check at an automotive store to see what you can find.
I would also love to see some pics when you get yours finished.

shredd_r69 said:
actually, I took a heat gun to it for about a half hour, then with some careful but forceful cohersion, it came right off. No bending or tearing of wood, just alot of hard to peal double sided tape! What kind of finish did you use? That looks great!
To remove double side tape glue residue or any glue residue for that matter, use Naptha
naphtha.jpg

or lighter fluid. Its harmless solvent, well rather not as harmful to say acetone and with elbow grease you should be able to remove the gummy residue. Also glue remover works as well.

shredd_r69 said:
I wanted to take it to a fab shop and have it black chromed. I think the black on black would look sick as a mutha f*****!

You mean like this? :D

100_0963.jpg

Have you tried contacting Mesa? Maybe they'll just sell you the part. I ordered mine this way, so I know they can do it.

I didn't remove any wood from the head case, just heated the metal up with an old hair dryer (that was VERY HOT!), stuck a flat head screw driver betweem the metal and the wood and when the metal started to move, I started to pry, gently, at first, then not so gently but always being careful not to bend the diamond plate. After about a half hour of physical manipulation I had a piece of mesa boogie diamond plate in my hands with no damage to the box what-so-ever. It was great fun! :roll:

noodles said:
shredd_r69 said:
I wanted to take it to a fab shop and have it black chromed. I think the black on black would look sick as a mutha f*****!

You mean like this? :D

100_0963.jpg

Have you tried contacting Mesa? Maybe they'll just sell you the part. I ordered mine this way, so I know they can do it.

Wow cool! 8)
Actually I would like a case like that with a metal threadplate.
Have you bought this as an option or did you mod this yourself?

Latest posts

Back