REGARDING MESA SWAP FOR....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bchewdown

Reaction score
Hi fellas (and ladies) I just came across a dude that asked me if i would trade a MARSHALL HALF STACK JCM 900 4100 for my TRI-RECTO.
My recto is an 2006 and the Marshall is a 98 with a jcm900 1960B cab.
i like the old death metal sound of CARCASS and new sound of HATE ETERNAL, but totally love my Tri-RECTO...hmmm
what choo guys think?!?!?!

thanks to all who reply!!!

If i get this correctly there is an offer to trade your Triple Recto half stack for a JCM900 Halfstack?

I really don't think its an even trade for you, even the Triple Recto Head alone is worth more than the half stack. If you are happy with your tone, don't trade it away, you will regret it.

If you are unhappy with your tone, then i would advise you to sell it instead, and start from there so you have more options and can look into different set ups just than the JCM900.

The Recto and the JCM are totally different beasts, both with their own pros/cons but just make sure you do whats best for you. Don't let the G.A.S. get to you

-Felipe

no, just my head for his half stack.
I don't believe i'll do it simply because of marshalls power supplies burning up and the biasing is supposed to be a *****. thank s for the reply!!!

Even if it IS just the head, it's still worth more.

the TR is probably worth $1200, and you can pick up a JCM900 head for $500 and a 1960a cab for $450.

Theres no way I would do it. Not just cuz I love my triple-rec but i bought my jcm 900 head for $400 and my triple-rec head for $1200 and marshall cabs go for 300-400. Id say hold on to what you have and if you really want the marshall just save up for one. Oh and the 2 newest Hate Eternal albums are mostly Engl Powerball but the others are Marshall Artists 30 watt not jcm 900's

NOPE, NOPE NOPE. Don't do it. As much as I love Marshall amps, this is not the one. Be patient young jedi, your time will come.

fishyfishfish said:
NOPE, NOPE NOPE. Don't do it. As much as I love Marshall amps, this is not the one. Be patient young jedi, your time will come.
+1 to that. The JCM900s lack balls, or all the ones I've played anyway. There's no there there.

willie said:
Theres no way I would do it. Not just cuz I love my triple-rec but i bought my jcm 900 head for $400 and my triple-rec head for $1200 and marshall cabs go for 300-400. Id say hold on to what you have and if you really want the marshall just save up for one. Oh and the 2 newest Hate Eternal albums are mostly Engl Powerball but the others are Marshall Artists 30 watt not jcm 900's

THANKS FOR THE INFO!! ESPECIALLY THE NEW HATE ETERNAL RECORD!!
I WILL NOT BE TRADING..

Went to see Forte at Big Papa's Pour House last night bro,Jeff was playing a JCM900 stack and it blew the triple recs that the other band played through earlier,DOWN my brother.The 900 was clean and the gain was brilliant,a cross between metallica and pantera. :D

powerlord said:
...a cross between metallica and pantera. :D

That's funny, 'cuz those are the two band I think of when I think about AWESOME bands with TERRIBLE guitar tones!

Ok...Metallica has had some decent tones....but it seems like the better their tone gets, the worse their albums are (Load, anyone?)

sixtonoize said:
powerlord said:
...a cross between metallica and pantera. :D

That's funny, 'cuz those are the two band I think of when I think about AWESOME bands with TERRIBLE guitar tones!

Ok...Metallica has had some decent tones....but it seems like the better their tone gets, the worse their albums are (Load, anyone?)

I agree with ya on the metallica,but I'll never say Dime had bad tone,just his own.And theres no way I'd trade my F-100 on a JCM900 much less most Mesa amps for that matter.But the modded 900 I heard at the show was a monster. :D

Dredg has good tone and their guitarist uses JCM900's. It's not anything heavily distorted though.

I'd be very surprised to see a triple rectifier outdone by a JCM 900 unless it was heavily modded. I have played through both and the Triple had WAY more volume and bottom end. Also playing at high volume on a dual or triple in a big room is a must! I play it at full crank in a 3000 sq foot basement and it shakes everything upstairs. I have broken some glass nick nacks that fell off the table upstairs due to the balls in the mesa. I also lower the gain with the volume way up or the distortion doesn't hit as hard. This is the case with all guitar amps. I own a old two channel dual and my friend has a triple and we just use a maxon 808 in the front to smooth out the distortion. This and a reverb pedal is all we use on it.

I also thought Metallica only used Marshalls for the first two albums and the guitars sound good but pretty weak. They sound good because they are great players. James Hetfield's marshall was modded as well! They switched to boogies when the head got stolen.

Also your head is worth at least a couple hundred more that the entire JCM 900 half stack. Bad deal on your part! Hope this helps your decision. Me personally I would not trade it. The triple will sell a hell of alot quicker than any JCM Marshall. Take it from me I switched from a JCM 2000 dual to my Mesa dual and that amp kicks the crap out of it. It is way louder than the JCM ever was.

NWOFORLIF

powerlord said:
Went to see Forte at Big Papa's Pour House last night bro,Jeff was playing a JCM900 stack and it blew the triple recs that the other band played through earlier,DOWN my brother.The 900 was clean and the gain was brilliant,a cross between metallica and pantera. :D

yeah keep the triple! I, MONARCH was powerball&Jcm 800. Fury & Flames was all powerball i believe. FWIW the 3 times i`ve seen Hate Eternal the one time Rutan used his powerball live he had zero guitar tone, the other 2 times he used his DSL 100 and it kicked ***.

Yeah dude said it's modded by Voodoo...but he said he don't have the paperwork that Voodoo sends with the amps..hmmm...fuggetta boudit!!!
Anyway, no trades...thanks to everyone who told me so.

If you've heard of GODFLESH/Jesu...Aren't they using JCM900's!?!?!
If so, how the hell they get that badass sound? prolly pedals and ****..

Anyway Lata!!!

JCM 900 4100's are horrible amps, the ex-guitarist in my band had one. Possibly one of the worst tube Marshall's put out in recent times (and that IS saying something!) Yuk, don't do it!

Boogies retain a much higher resell value. if you want something else at least sell it and then buy something else in stead of the trade deal. that way you will have some money left to get the mods done to make it sound as good as the TR you just sold............heheheh. :idea: :idea:

nwoforlif said:
I'd be very surprised to see a triple rectifier outdone by a JCM 900 unless it was heavily modded. I have played through both and the Triple had WAY more volume and bottom end. Also playing at high volume on a dual or triple in a big room is a must! I play it at full crank in a 3000 sq foot basement and it shakes everything upstairs. I have broken some glass nick nacks that fell off the table upstairs due to the balls in the mesa. I also lower the gain with the volume way up or the distortion doesn't hit as hard. This is the case with all guitar amps. I own a old two channel dual and my friend has a triple and we just use a maxon 808 in the front to smooth out the distortion. This and a reverb pedal is all we use on it.

I also thought Metallica only used Marshalls for the first two albums and the guitars sound good but pretty weak. They sound good because they are great players. James Hetfield's marshall was modded as well! They switched to boogies when the head got stolen.

Also your head is worth at least a couple hundred more that the entire JCM 900 half stack. Bad deal on your part! Hope this helps your decision. Me personally I would not trade it. The triple will sell a hell of alot quicker than any JCM Marshall. Take it from me I switched from a JCM 2000 dual to my Mesa dual and that amp kicks the crap out of it. It is way louder than the JCM ever was.

NWOFORLIF

powerlord said:

its all in how you use the amp..... i've heard some pretty nasty tones come out off a 900 and other times just complete crap.... same goes with rectos.... IMO i think the triple kills the 900 if used right but then again i prefer the mesa sound.... none the less just $$$ wise that would be a bad trade.... you can pick up a 900 and a marshall cab for less than a 1000 where as that triple can get atleast a few hundred more..... if you want a death metal amp go no further than the engls... people have emntioend the powerball and i couldnt agree more... they're bred for that type tone... also the invader and SE are just full of face melting brutality when ti comes to gain

Back