Refret

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch71

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea of what a it would cost to refret a guitar? I have an Epi LP Custom equipped with a JB/Jazz combo that I love but the fret's are sh!t. Very warn. Just curoius if it's even worth it given the fact that it is an Epi.

Having a newer 2009 Les Paul, I think these may be beyond leveling and recrowning. They're pretty low compared to the LP. I'll keep it in mind. I have a shop in town that usually does all my work. I just wanted other's experience/opinion before I approached them on pricing.

The fret's are usable but the newer LP has me spoiled I guess.

I've had 2 guitars re-fretted within the last year and a half.

1) Check the references for the luthier you choose. Re-fretting is complicated and tedious and requires many measurements and attention to minute details. Communicate your needs clearly with the luthier before any work is done.

2) Most luthiers will give you the choice of fret wire thickness and height. (Les Pauls have a standard size if you so choose.)

3) The fees start around $200.00 and go up depending on the fret wire used and wether or not the neck will need to be re-laquered. (ala fender Strat maple neck)

4) You must specify what string gages you will be using after the re-fret. If you plan to drop tune or up the string gage diameters (or both), The luthier need to know this in advance because it dictates how they will finish and crown the frets as well as adjust the truss rod before final sanding and fret finishing.

5) Don't expect it to be fast. I've had to wait 4-6 weeks on turn around.

6) If done right, it will be worth every penny you spent because it will make the instrument enjoyable to play again.

I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back