Reeder Mod correcting a "defect" the way people talk

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't own a LSC/LSS but have played one a couple of times. I'm looking at buying one of these or maybe an Electra Dyne. I think the LS 2nd channel sounds great the way it is. Granted, I haven't spent a lot of hours with it but when I play an amp, I usually get a good or bad feeling within the first half hour or so. You know what I mean. The thing just speaks to you or it does'nt. The Lonestar just jumped out at me with the beautiful cleans on channel one and the big fat, smooth lead tones on channel two. It didn't impress me as muddy or unclear, just big and fat. Of course, as we all know, what we hear is all subjective and everyone has different tastes. I don't think the amp has a "defect", it's just some folks want to hear something a little different. So the Reeder mod will work for some but not others. I have to wonder, when you think about the hundreds of Lonestars that are out there, how many people are playing them as they are. That's basically just the question you are asking. I think there are alot of people out there that may not even check this board that are loving their Lonestars as is from the factory. I glad you posted this question, because I have been wondering about this myself, with all these long threads about mods.
Bottom line, I think it's a great amp stock and I may be a new owner in the near future.

I think that if in a parallel universe Randall Smith had designed the ls series with the components of the reeder mod, then reeder would have developed a mod that makes ls like they come straight from the factory now. Some techno babble about more bottom and compression would be te rage around here.

Jason, I love my Lonestar, no mods, just as it came from the factory. I have no intention of changing anything, and everytime I play it I have a big smile on my face. I only play strats through mine though and I absolutely love the sound and vibe I get on both channels. Lonestar unmodded? a big thumbs up! :D

It comes down to personal taste. I just prefer the amp modded, and when I have the money I will probably also fit some Celestion blues or golds. I enjoy tinkering with gear and my guitars are not standard/as supplied either. The comment that if the amps were supplied with the Reeder mod already in place then lots of people would be busy swapping the pots for more bottom end and compression, is very perceptive as well as being pretty funny.

jjboogie said:
Anyone here love the Lonestars the way they are from the factory like I do?

I cant see any reason to change it. I just wheel it in to the gig, plug in and go.
Love both channels. Controls make perfect sense and do what theyre supposed to do.
Only mod Im considering is making the drive on ch2 foot switchable.

I own both and they are great. I was so impresed with the LSS after I got it, I sold my Mark IV to buy the LSC. I do like the LSS a little better. Just my taste.

Just for the record I am not slamming anyone who enjoys the mod or prefers it. Just making an observation. The way the whole Reeder mod thread pans out is like the Lonestars came from the factory as a defect or something.

I finally did my first gig with my new Lonestar Classic and my band likes it better than the LSS and so do I.....The LSC is not as thin sounding as the LSS and is definitely voiced a bit darker but for me that is what I need and it works for what I do.

jjboogie said:

It does matter a great deal what kind of guitar you play and the sound you are looking for. I play humbucker guitars mostly (Les Pauls in particular). I am also looking for more of a roots rock/classic rock/blues tone. With that in mind, I LOVE channel 1 on my Lonestar. It is everything I always wanted in an amp. On the other hand, channel 2 is two..."processed sounding" to my ear with WAY to much of a mid hump that makes things muddy. I have worked hard on trying to find a tone that works for me on that channel. I am actually planning on doing the Reeder mod at some point as I think this may help. Without that, my solution is to crank my drive up much higher then the gain. This really brightens, tightens and slightly scoops the tone. At the very least it makes my other controls more usable. Again though, this suits my taste, playing style, etc. It may not fit you. For someone playing strats, teles or other single coil, non P90 guitars that channel may be just what the doctor ordered.

As for how many people are using this amp stock, I have no idea. I know of people like Any Timmons and the guy from Soulive who do I think. Other then that I don't know.

Mark

toneguy86 said:
jjboogie said:

It does matter a great deal what kind of guitar you play and the sound you are looking for. I play humbucker guitars mostly (Les Pauls in particular). I am also looking for more of a roots rock/classic rock/blues tone. With that in mind, I LOVE channel 1 on my Lonestar. It is everything I always wanted in an amp. On the other hand, channel 2 is two..."processed sounding" to my ear with WAY to much of a mid hump that makes things muddy. I have worked hard on trying to find a tone that works for me on that channel. I am actually planning on doing the Reeder mod at some point as I think this may help. Without that, my solution is to crank my drive up much higher then the gain. This really brightens, tightens and slightly scoops the tone. At the very least it makes my other controls more usable. Again though, this suits my taste, playing style, etc. It may not fit you. For someone playing strats, teles or other single coil, non P90 guitars that channel may be just what the doctor ordered.

As for how many people are using this amp stock, I have no idea. I know of people like Any Timmons and the guy from Soulive who do I think. Other then that I don't know.

Mark

I switch between a Les Paul Standard and a Tele 52 RI.........I got great tones from both the other night. I was able to find a sweet spot of settings where I did not have to adjust the eq on the amp when I switched guitars! Yeyeee!!!!

I use a strat, a Heritage H150 and PRS SAS. All sound great through the LSC.
Just tweak the eq to suit each guitar.
Maybe Im just pulling bad tones and dont realise it.........nah.

Yeah man, if it ain't broke for ya, don't fix it! I think it really just depends on what people want out of a "solo" or "drive" channel. In my case, I didn't hate Ch2 before I modded it -- far from it. But I didn't super-love it either. The mod upgraded my affection for Ch2 from respect to smoochy, sloppy love. It's all good in either case, if Charles hadn't shared his findings I would still have the amp and would still be enjoying it enormously.

djw said:
Yeah man, if it ain't broke for ya, don't fix it! I think it really just depends on what people want out of a "solo" or "drive" channel. In my case, I didn't hate Ch2 before I modded it -- far from it. But I didn't super-love it either. The mod upgraded my affection for Ch2 from respect to smoochy, sloppy love. It's all good in either case, if Charles hadn't shared his findings I would still have the amp and would still be enjoying it enormously.

I will be honest I am curious about how it sounds however I am not going to go pay someone to swap it out for curiosities sake! :)

I love mine the way it is, though I currently use channel two with Drive and gain at about 2:30. The thing is I play a strat and can't do a lead tone with the neck pick-up on the LSC in this config as it sounds too wooly. That said!!!!!! I just got used to using other pickup positions which still sound amazing.

I will try retubing at some point and actually take my hat off to Charles for coming up with the mod, I think it is really in the spirit of Boogie to search for tone and tweak in that way. It is true that some Reeder-mod disciple's seem to think the amp was released with a flaw, which is a shame.

But as long as we all find our tone - who cares :)

D

lostcause said:

Hey, if you figure out a way to do THAT, PLEASE PLEASE tell us all about it. That is the ONE mod I would love on my LSS.

lostcause said:
jjboogie said:

I cant see any reason to change it. I just wheel it in to the gig, plug in and go.
Love both channels. Controls make perfect sense and do what theyre supposed to do.
Thought about it.
Dont know what Im comparing it to so Im going to do both mods over the weekend and see if it does change things for the better or just makes it different. No point closing a door or making comment about something I know nothing about.
Hope to learn something and maybe make a great amp even better.
Its completely reversible so I have nothing to lose.

Cheers

lostcause said:
lostcause said:
jjboogie said:

Thought about it.
Dont know what Im comparing it to so Im going to do both mods over the weekend and see if it does change things for the better or just makes it different. No point closing a door or making comment about something I know nothing about.
Hope to learn something and maybe make a great amp even better.
Its completely reversible so I have nothing to lose.

Cheers
Done the pot swap mod. Im switching it back to factory standard. Seemed to work as a ch clone mod but I didnt like the effect it had on the gain. Thinner? grainier? Not sure exactly, just dont like it.
I couldnt dial the fat warmth in like Im used to and like on pre mod. Maybe its good for lower gain settings?
Ill try the mid pot mod and see how it goes.

Switched it back to factory spec and did the mid mod. Undecided about its effect, its fairly subtle and I will have to leave it for a while to get to understand it better and see if I like or dislike it.

I think at lower gain settings the reeder mod #1 may have been pretty useful.It really was like ch1 but with more gain and I could understand its use and appeal.

By opening up the LS and doing both mods I figured out how to make the drive function ftsw-able using the reverb ftsw socket so even though mod#1 wasnt for me I learnt something from the exercise. All good.

Latest posts

Back