Reeder Mod correcting a "defect" the way people talk

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've gotta give it more than a day man! It's gonna take a while to find the new relationship between the controls.

-dave

jaquetapus said:
You've gotta give it more than a day man! It's gonna take a while to find the new relationship between the controls.

-dave
Yes and no. It wasnt a mystery for me. I gave it a fair chance at good volumes for extended lengths of time. Took breaks to give my ears a break then went back to it. I understood the appeal it might have for some. Ive never had problems dialing sounds I like out of the LS to start with. To be honest but honestly not contentious I could achieve very similar results using an eq pedal in the loop and even in the front. I had tried this quite a few times and the mods reminded me very much of some of the results I had achieved using an eq pedal.
Im not saying the mods are bad. I just dont need them for what I want out of the LS.
Ive never had trouble cutting through the band mix, never encountered overblown bass( it can get that way if you set it to do that).
I could see and hear exactly the effects the mods had on the sound. Maybe I would not have bought the LS if it sounded or reacted like that at the start. A day was more than enough. It took me a lot less to decide to buy the LS to start with, and know that it would replace two fenders a marshall and a Mesa Nomad.

My brother found the Lonestar Special to be muddy at low volumes. Rather than mod the amp, he swapped the "Black Shadow (celestion) MC90 for a G12H Heritage 30 watt speaker. He then replaced the 12ax7 in V1 for some other brand of preamp tube. If you all want to know, I can find out for you. Apparently the G12H has a nice vintage sound with more speaker breakup and it really clears up the tone a lot. What the speaker didn't fix, the preamp tube did. He's happy! (He plays a G&L ASAT)

I tried the mods and switched back immediately. I could tell it wasn't for me. I agree with lostcause, it made the amp sound grainier, thinner, just all around unappealing to me. I gigged with it this past Saturday night with my '79 LP Standard which is a unusually bright sounding Lester into an OS Bogner 2x12 with MC90s. I had a little trouble cutting through only because we like to keep a real low stage volume. I keep the drive up and the preamp gain down and I like the way it sounds.

Well, I just brought a Lone Star home based on how it sounds stock. I have no plans on modifying anything. Love it as is.

I think there is no problems with single coils but the Humbukers sounds to dark at least for rythm guitar, for solos i get a Santana Allmand Brothers sound wiht the LSS unmoded that i love with a Les Paul, i´m considering to do the mod 1 anyway, it is more easy to add middles than rest it in this amp.
J.

Jimi Henrix said:
I think there is no problems with single coils but the Humbukers sounds to dark at least for rythm guitar, for solos i get a Santana Allmand Brothers sound wiht the LSS unmoded that i love with a Les Paul, i´m considering to do the mod 1 anyway, it is more easy to add middles than rest it in this amp.
J.

Is it possible folks just need to spend more time experimenting with the eq before they go modding the amp?

To me every room sounds different that I gig in too so I have to eq to the room.

jjboogie said:
Jimi Henrix said:
J.

Is it possible folks just need to spend more time experimenting with the eq before they go modding the amp?

To me every room sounds different that I gig in too so I have to eq to the room.

Of course the room has a big influence in sound, and with no doubt a good EQ solves all the problems, i well know it cause i do lots of studio recording with a good preamp channel strip and with the EQ of the channel strip and pedals it is possible to get any sound that you have in mind from the LSS, now i have seen a similar solution for live situation but it is expensive, risky (stoll) and need to be rack mounted, it is a Direct box module tube powered + an EQ module also tube powered all handmade in USA from Summit audio, for those who are curious about it take a look here: http://www.summitaudiogear.com/gear/feq50.html
Download the user manual to see how works the EQ feq50 with the TD-100 direct box, very very cool stuff but has i said expensive. anyway my thoughs allways are: it is better have more time learning, playing guitar, than buying and experimenting with gear, the most of times less is more unless you are a big star and play live in luxury rooms or stages :) anyway knoledge doesn´t take space :) Sorry if my inglish is limited i´m from Spain

Latest posts

Back