Rectoverb Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Like a fool, I traded my Rectoverb combo for an old, beat up PRS McCarty last year. I got the upper end of the deal because I had only paid $450 for the ROV. I installed a set of Mercury Magnetics transformers on it, and the amp sounded incredible, but I really wanted my old McCarty back.

The guy that has my old ROV really wants my Rivera S-120 combo. I love the Rivera, but really want more aggression in my distorted tones. The Rivera wins, hands down, on the clean channel.
He wants to trade me the ROV and some cash for my Rivera. I really need the cash, so it's probably a win/win for me other than loosing that stellar Fender like clean.

The amp is now a 2x12. He changed the baffle. It comes with 2 x JBL speakers, which will need to be replaced with something warmer and lighter.
I have one C-90, but need one more speaker. Preferably something lighter........He took a heavy combo and made it even heavier!

I'm wondering about an alnico speaker to compliment the C-90. Maybe a Tone Tubby, Weber, etc.?
What do you guys recommend?
I use lots of high gain, but would probably never go above 1-2:00. I want speakers that can handle hot pickups with lots of bass but still sound great for leads.
I use lots of clean tones too and want them to be warm, clear and articulate.
I don't like the JBL speakers that are in the amp now. They are way too mid range oriented and just sound stiff.

Any help would be recommended.
Also, has anyone figured out how to make the reverb better on a Rectoverb?

Can't comment on the speaker types but many have combined a Vintage 30 with a C90 with good results. Maybe you can do the same...

The ROV doesn't have the best cleans.... they're a little one-dimensional as you probably know. An EQ and some very mild effects (delay/chorus/reverb) in the loop and can help. Maybe as a 2x12 it may sound heaps better...

For reverb, ditch the on board (unfortunately another weakness in the ROV) and add something in the loop. I like Tech 21's Boost RVB with Trails pedal. It's a solid pedal and sounds very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGE0oTa5HlE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkO2w1EZDs4 (with Trails)

:D Right on, thanks!
Right now, with the JBL's in the amp, it weighs exactly 100 pounds! Gotta do something about that.

As for the cleans and reverb, I'm hoping that I can do something about that.
The Mercury transformers really helped a lot, as did a full set of ECC803 gold pin tubes. I have some NOS tubes just laying around too.
Maybe I can come up with a good clean channel mod that really opens it up.

I never buy combo amps for this reason.

If the JBL's sound steller, pull the amp and put it in a head cab, and refinish the empty spot with a nice piece of wood where the amp dial face used to be. Two 50 pound loads is better than (1) 100 pound load.

Latest posts

Back