Rectoverb Bias Switch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRazMeister

Reaction score
Guys,

I got my JJ's and installed them into my REC...but for whatever reason, I;m having trouble with the bias switch in the back. Is there a trick to moving it? The thing will NOT budge in either direction...

Try a small flat head screwdrived to stick in the slot and gently switch in the direction you want to go. If it does not move easily, do not force it. It may have been in the same position so long it is stuck. A little nudge should do.
I had the same thing on my 1992. When I tried EL-34's it was obvious that it had never been switched from the 6L6 position.

Sorry I cant answer your question, but if you got EL34s I was wondering if you could post a sound clip when you get everything configured!

Thanks

I'll definitely post clips when I get the darn thing switched....I feel like I'm doing something wrong...the switch won't budge. I tried a screwdriver...no luck. Of course I didn;t want to put too much force behind it. Worst part is I cracked the "key" portion of the 6L6 tube off the tube. It looks like just a plastic piece but Mesa told me to dump the tubes..

Rectohead said:
Sorry I cant answer your question, but if you got EL34s I was wondering if you could post a sound clip when you get everything configured!

Thanks

Are you sure the tape cover is removed from the switch? The tape itself looks like part of the switch so keep that in mind. (not trying to imply you're a fool, I did the same thing :eek: )

It should slide easily left or right.. this is on my dual rec but I can take a pic if you want.

Platypus said:
Are you sure the tape cover is removed from the switch? The tape itself looks like part of the switch so keep that in mind. (not trying to imply you're a fool, I did the same thing :eek: )

It should slide easily left or right.. this is on my dual rec but I can take a pic if you want.

I came across the same problem when I first tried to switch the bias. That piece of black tape looks like part of the switch, and I tried to move it with my finger nail before I noticed it was tape. Try to peel that off then that should expose the small switch that can be moved with pen or your finger nail.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who this happened to.

The TAPE, the TAPE.....it was so mashed down I didn't see it......
Now I can get to trying out the JJ E-34L's...sheeshhhh. I do appreciate you guys responding, I was afraid I'd broken something. :roll:

My 1st reaction is that my lead sound is slightly smoother. I won't get a chance to play with some volume until Saturday, but it will be with a full band and even a rhythm guitarist...

G.I.G. said:
Platypus said:

I came across the same problem when I first tried to switch the bias. That piece of black tape looks like part of the switch, and I tried to move it with my finger nail before I noticed it was tape. Try to peel that off then that should expose the small switch that can be moved with pen or your finger nail.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who this happened to.

TheRazMeister said:
Worst part is I cracked the "key" portion of the 6L6 tube off the tube. It looks like just a plastic piece but Mesa told me to dump the tubes..

You dont need to dump them, as long as you can still see where the notch on the key was and are willing to take the time to make absolutely sure that it is going in right if you ever put them back in.

I was wondering about that....My hope though is that I love the E-34L'S so much that I never want to put the 6L6's back :lol:

BTW - anyone know what the difference is between an E-34L and an EL34?

Lespaulstandard said:
TheRazMeister said:
Worst part is I cracked the "key" portion of the 6L6 tube off the tube. It looks like just a plastic piece but Mesa told me to dump the tubes..

You dont need to dump them, as long as you can still see where the notch on the key was and are willing to take the time to make absolutely sure that it is going in right if you ever put them back in.

TheRazMeister said:
I was wondering about that....My hope though is that I love the E-34L'S so much that I never want to put the 6L6's back :lol:

BTW - anyone know what the difference is between an E-34L and an EL34?

Lespaulstandard said:
TheRazMeister said:

Higher voltage and better low end bass response.

TheRazMeister said:

Same happened to me here, when I was rebuilding my combo, chassis slipped out of my hands...

Well, at first I lttle hesitated, but after carefull inspection it is no problem. The tubes are still vacuum. I have about 4 mm left of that plastic key portion, so I have to make sure the tubes are fit in correctly and check again. Fortunatlt, the mesa stamp on the tube faces outwards, so that's one hint for placing them correctly.

Come to think of it, that's what Bob (Eurotubes) alluded to. I'm excited about this. Not that I thought the 6L6's sounded bad (they were GREAT!) it's just that from what Bob described, the 34's give you a slightly better lead tone but they lose some of the traditional Mesa bottom end, which is okay by me 8).

Platypus said:

TheRazMeister said:
Come to think of it, that's what Bob (Eurotubes) alluded to. I'm excited about this. Not that I thought the 6L6's sounded bad (they were GREAT!) it's just that from what Bob described, the 34's give you a slightly better lead tone but they lose some of the traditional Mesa bottom end, which is okay by me 8).

Platypus said:

Yep, that's why I got them and they're exactly what I wanted!

Latest posts

Back