Recto + Tube Screamer TS-808 = Mark IV ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mloiaco

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with my RK1 and my TS-808 lately, and I've found that I can get surprisingly tight-tracking, focused metal tones by putting my TS-808 in front of my RK under certain settings.

For the TS-808:
Tone = all the way up
Overdrive = none
Level = set so that the volume is the same with and without the TS engaged.

For the RK:
I've listed 3 settings at the bottom of this post. You can start with them, or dial in anything you want.

As you can see, I mainly use the TS just to push the tubes harder (a la SRV). Let me know how it sounds on your end.

By the way, I don't use any effects, but I keep the loop switch "engaged" so that I can use both the "output" and the "master" to shape my tone. I usually set the "output" pretty high to push the power section even harder (I love power-tube distortion), and then I bring up the channel master to taste.

A Mark-ish Setting:
Ch 4
Vintage
2x6L6+2xEL34
Silicone Diode
Presence: 9:30
Bass: 8:30
Mid: 9:15
Trebble: 2:30
Gain: 3:00
Both Open and Closed speakers on the RK 4x12 cab
Spongy
Pentode (for those with a Series 1)

Awesome Sizzle/Harmonics All Around (a la "Voices" by Dream Theater):
Ch 3
Vintage (this will give a different, but awesome tone using Raw, as well)
2x6L6+2xEL34
Tube rectification
Presence: 10:00
Bass: 10:30
Mid: 10:45
Trebble: 1:45
Gain: 3:15
Spongy
Pentode (for those with a Series 1)

Bright Mark IIc+:
Ch 4
Vintage
2x6L6+2xEL34
silicone diode rectification
Presence: 8:00
Bass: 10:45
Mid: 8:55
Trebble: 3:45
Gain: 2:59
Spongy
Try it out with both Triode and Pentode (for those with a Series 1)

Never played a Mark IV, or heard one in person, but I do know that a Tubescreamer will tighten up a recto and almost compress it just a bit to make it feel and sound tighter and add an extra layer of thickness while making it cut through better. The Tubescreamer is one of the best pedals around for quite a bit of stuff.

I used to use a TS for that exact reason, for more focused metal sounds, now use a Fulltone OCD so it's not quite as compressed, same effect.

I used to boost my Dual Rec's all the time, but the character of the distortion is alot different than a Mark series regardless, IMO of course.

Melodyman said:
I used to boost my Dual Rec's all the time, but the character of the distortion is alot different than a Mark series regardless, IMO of course.

+1

I also push the front end of my Recto and Lonstar Classic. I have a TS-9, SD-1 and DS-1, all modded. I have been mulling over a different pedal for a few weeks now and am torn between the Xotic BB Preamp and the Fulltone OCD. From playing in the store the OCD sounded very harmonically rich but was a little noisey. The BB sounded great too, more transparent and was quieter when engaged.

Anybody own both of these?

been a Tremoverb user since 1994,and the owner of a Mark IV , i must tell you that no matter with what u push teh recvto, it won't sound as a Mark IV.

By the way i had to let go my Tverb because i was moving, but i am in the market for anotehr one, must circa 1994

I don't mean to thread jack, but is that TS-808 worth all that money? How does it comapre to the TS-9?

(I figured that it was easier to pull a mini thread jack instead of starting a new one)

You can mod a TS-9 to TS-808 specs with two resistors. I did mine and found about 40 early 80's JRC 4558 op-amps. I cannot tell the difference between the real 808 and my modded TS-9. I put a 1981 op-amp in and it is sweet.

This must be the mod you speak of? Did you replace the chip too, or did you leave the original and just add the resistors?

I may try and pick up a cheap one of e-bay and play around with it on my amp. Thanks for the info everyone.

Not to steal any thunder from the TS808 but I bet in a blind hearing test you probably wouldn't notice THAT much difference to warrant the cost of the upgrade... just my two cents.

The upgrade was less than $ 1.00. I have a ton of vintage JRC op-amps that I found in my companies old telephone equipment so the real deal op-amps were free. The resistors were .08 cents each and I used an IC socket from radio shack that was like .45 cents. The modified TS-9 was a 2002 version made for Ibanez by Maxon. It is the exact circuit except the two resistors and the original chip. The current TI or JRC 4558 is not like the original. I find them to be grainy at best. I also have a ton of early 80's Malaysian TI 4558 op-amps and with the IC socket I can swap out what ever chip I want. The biggest different was the overall smoothness of the drive. even more so when you use carbon comp resistors for the brown mod.
It was not harsh like the stock version. Also, not long after, Ibanez stopped having Maxon make the TS-9 for them and the quality of the whole unit is now sub-par IMO. I do not know who is making the TS-808 for them, but I doubt it is Maxon since they snaked all of Ibanez's designs and started selling them.

dmroeder said:
This must be the mod you speak of? Did you replace the chip too, or did you leave the original and just add the resistors?

I may try and pick up a cheap one of e-bay and play around with it on my amp. Thanks for the info everyone.

Yes, but the chips he is using are current production which defeats the entire mod IMO. The early 808's used Malaysian 4558's or JRC 4558D's with production dates from 1980 to 1984. These are the chips I use. Not 2001 or later production like the current Ibanez and Boss products.
I have swapped the chip in a Boss SD-1 and it made the pedal come alive.
Honestly, in a head to head with an original 808, with the mod they are nearly identical. Taking into account the component variations and tolerances, I dont think two consecutive off the production line would sound identical either. For under a dollar and some good fortune I could not resist the mod. I have even doen it to one of those potato/bug looking tube screamers for a friend and the difference was drastic. All the grainy buzz was gone.

I have done the exact same mod with good results.

For fun I have taken it a couple of steps farther by putting a Burr Brown Op-Amp in for a lower noise floor and changing out several of the caps with Metal film equivalents. Indyguitarist sells a DIY plan for about $12, if memory serves me correct, that I used for this.

I have a couple of Boss SD-1's that I have done the same thing to with great results. And these can be picked up new for $50 and used for about $25-30. I have one that I've put Germanium diodes, taking out one diode to make it symmetrical clipping and the other is asymmetrical, (3 diodes - stock).

Back