Recto selection help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
Ok so Im gonna pull the trigger on my first recto soon. Just need to decide which one....

First off right now I just got an original mesa thiele 112 with a stock EVM12L, loving it so far, sound huge, and loving the pretty flat response. Anyways id like to hold onto this. Ill also have about 1000$ coming in from used gear sales

Up untill now I though only a mini rec would really work, I love the one I tried and its great, but I realized lately how effective my MXR 10 band EQ can be for attenuation. So this opens new possibilities, I figure using this tatic I could have a recto "cranked" at home without blowing out windows. But the only other recto Id be interested in is the roadster and unless its used its out of my price range. And itll look odd ontop of my 112.

So how should I proceed? The other alternative is an axe fx but since getting this new cab Ive decided otherwise

I'd get a mini; and did. However, could you please explain what you mean about using a 'MXR 10 band EQ for attenuation?"

dude, **** the mini.

keep in mind that the reborn rectos have power switch between 100 and 50 watts. Also for 1k used you can easily find ROVs and Tremoverbs which are regarded as the holy grail of recto sound.

bcdon said:
I'd get a mini; and did. However, could you please explain what you mean about using a 'MXR 10 band EQ for attenuation?"

+1

Not sure I understand that...To my knowledge an EQ lets you adjust frequencies. Unless if you're messing with the volume and gain controls on the unit to "attenuate" the amp? I don't think that's not optimal though. Also, the difference in volume between 50 watts and 100 watts is something like 3 decibels if I remember correctly, which is practically nothing. It's worth to just go for the real recto if that's what you're craving. Otherwise, seriously look into the Mini--that's what it was designed for.

If you're really worried about the volume, I'd look into real attenuators. I don't think anything can replace a true recto having its power tubes heated up.

With the EQ you can 'attenuate' the signal in the loop..... basically reduce the volume if the EQ pedal has a level slider. However, it's not the same as adding a proper attenuator, such as a Weber attenuator, which will allow you to drive your power section of your amp harder at reduced volume.

Basically:
1. EQ in the loop can act a volume control = similar as turning channel volume up or down. I suspect that turning up the channel volume and reducing the EQ output may provide a 'little' benefit.... not sure on that point. Of course, you need to be careful not to 'overdrive' the EQ's input with a high channel volume, otherwise the pedal will clip (distort) resulting in bad sound.

2. A proper power attenuator will allow high master output volume of amp but low speaker output volume = pushed power amp section for better low volume tone. This type of attenuator connects between the power amp and speaker. It's also built to take the load from the power amp and allows the power amp section of the amp to "see" a resistive load (speaker load) so the amp doesn't fry a transformer. It also gives off heat. These units are basically a large, fancy resistor.

I suspect your thinking of point 2 in regards to your use of the EQ attenuation? If you are, then an EQ pedal won't do what you think it will do.

I know I can drop the volume and gain slidersamd it takes off a good portion of the volume, and doesnt seem to effect the tone much. This allows me to work the amp harder without blowing my face off. Its just useless with my current ampbecause it opens up really early then doesnt sound much better a it gets louder

You're still going to have the problem of not pushing the power amp section in a high powered amp. All you will be doing is reducing the volume from the preamp section. A 'cranked' preamp section won't work because you'll drive the input section of the EQ pedal too far, as I've explained earlier. About 11 oclock max. on the channel dial is about it (based on my MXR 10 band).

Tone suffers in the recto amps when not turned up. They can sound 'relatively' thin and a little fizzy when low. The power amp section plays a large part in rectos. My amp (rectoverb) 'starts' to sound better when the channel volume is around 11 and master output is around minimum 10.30 upwards. From this point onwards it starts to crank out some real volume and pushes the speaker well. It starts to get reasonably loud from this point.... don't kid yourself. Below these levels the tone starts to suffer 'a little' and at 'quite' bedroom levels it shows even more.

You can use an OD pedal and EQ when playing at such low levels to 'compensate' for the tone but you're basically doing a patch job on the preamp tone.... the poweramp side just isn't working hard enough. Anyone here will tell you rectos need to be pushed volume-wise to get a better tone, not a sub-standard tone..... unless you use a proper attenuator. Even then, speaker movement and speaker type play a large part in the amp's tone, any amp really. A proper attenuator is a good place to start for high powered recto amps to play at low volume, though.

However, having said all that, if you plan to gig or jam with mates, a 50W or 100W recto is pretty good to have as you'll have power to spare if and when required. The mini recto will do the job, too, but you may find yourself 'limited' in case you need the extra juice or headroom. The mini recto, I believe, would be a great amp for lower volume playing (just guessing as I don't own one).

You need to decide based on your circumstances and future endeavours. There's no 'right or wrong'..... it depends what you expect from the gear and if that expectation will meet your needs for now and in the future. Music gear is not cheap so you may want to 'protect' for the future by buying a larger amp and live within it's low volume limitations. I don't have an attenuator but I know my amp and it's limitations. It doesn't bother me because I don't expect tonal bliss at low volume. I whack a couple of OD pedals and an EQ and I dial in a saturated, chunky, palm-mute rhythm at that low level. It's good enough for low volume practice at home.

Ultimately it's your choice but it's good that you ask questions. Better to be informed, have knowledge and understand the pros and cons rather than be dissapointed.

Food for thought......

Thanks for the informative post, I knew that rectos needed to be cranked to sound thier best but didnt realize it was because of the power section

Well either way right now Im not in a band or playing out so having a high powered amp that only sounds its best at stage volumes isnt too practical, but I know I plan to join bands again soon.

I know I love the mini rec, I played one through a V30 loaded 2x12 and it was amazing, it confirmed I want a recto. Just now have to decide between the recto and roadster

Ill prolly just take my new cab to a store near me that has the mini rec and roadster 212combo and AB them.

The pain will be grabbing the roadster combo at a good price, last ones I saw used sold for 1600$ and the one new in the store is 2350$

Seanthesheep said:
Thanks for the informative post, I knew that rectos needed to be cranked to sound thier best but didnt realize it was because of the power section

Well either way right now Im not in a band or playing out so having a high powered amp that only sounds its best at stage volumes isnt too practical, but I know I plan to join bands again soon.

I know I love the mini rec, I played one through a V30 loaded 2x12 and it was amazing, it confirmed I want a recto. Just now have to decide between the recto and roadster

Ill prolly just take my new cab to a store near me that has the mini rec and roadster 212combo and AB them.

The pain will be grabbing the roadster combo at a good price, last ones I saw used sold for 1600$ and the one new in the store is 2350$

Why blow all that money in a store when you can get a vintage Rectifier on ebay or craigslist for $1000? I bought one new recto years ago, and lost tons of money when I sold it. All the vintage amps I've ever purchased I've gained money or lost no money on them, plus they sound better than the new ones.

Why are you so set on a Roadster? Have you considered a Tremoverb? I think you should research Rectifier models more before putting down the cash.

Elpelotero said:
Seanthesheep said:

Why blow all that money in a store when you can get a vintage Rectifier on ebay or craigslist for $1000? I bought one new recto years ago, and lost tons of money when I sold it. All the vintage amps I've ever purchased I've gained money or lost no money on them, plus they sound better than the new ones.

Why are you so set on a Roadster? Have you considered a Tremoverb? I think you should research Rectifier models more before putting down the cash.

I know my rectos, ive been doing recto research for almost 2 years now, the reason im so set on the roadster or mini is because I know they both contain the sounds O want and the 4 channels and feature set of the roadster is really appealing

The 3chs Ive triedto get along with, just too naturally fizzy for me. The 2ch ones I dont have experience with but they never come up at a reasonable price near me and the tremoverb just doesnt seem to have the voicing I like

RectoFreak said:
Mini Recto and a 212 Recto cab is the way to go. Roadsters are WAAAAAY too heavy to lug anywhere.

I have to disagree with you there. I have no issue lugging around my Roadster head. :D PedalTrain in one hand, Roadster in the other. Of course, still have to go back to the car and get the Cab @ 65lbs.

I actually wound up lock strapping the head to the cab, and I roll it around like a lazy ***.

But, it is heavy. :wink: I won't argue with you there.

Seanthesheep:

If you can afford a Roadster. Do it. Don't wait, just do it. They kick all forms of ***. They are heavy, but the features and tone are so worth it.

However, if the Roadster is not an option, I would see if you could find a Rectoverb or a Tremoverb as stated earlier in the thread. Great tone, and meh reverb, but good enough. The mini Rectifier is great, but I think you would be happier with the ROV or a Tremoverb.

It would be nice if the Min Recto could run 6V6s OR EL84s.

Just something else:

I've played the Engl Gigmaster (15/5/1 Watt) and the Laboga The Beast (15/8 Watt) a few days ago (our bass player wanted something small for playing guitar at home).

Even with the power scaling down, both needed a good amount of volume to really sound good. Granted, they sounded better at low volume than my Dual (2010), but still, depending on your surroundings, if you want to play at home, with a volume setting that is really "AT HOME" and not "AT HOME AND PISSING OF EVERYONE" I wouldn't expect that to go so easily ... (I haven't heard the mini recto yet, btw).

Well like I have the oppritunity to give things some volume at home without pissing everyone off but at the same time its nowhere near stage volumes.

Also another thing: clean tones and high gain sounds are equaly as important for me, and the in between/mid gain sounds are also becoming more and more important to me thats why my recto selection is fairly limited.

Im also bouncing around the idea of a mark V head/ combo but im pretty sure I prefer recto high gain.

So in te case of the roadster, yes I probably would use all 4 channrls. Mini rec Id be tweaking all te time but I know my sounds are in there for the most part.

You said the magic Mark V word. Once you put that in your head, there's no turning back. I would recommend it over any of the Recs for what it sounds like you want to do. Also, sounds like you would really dig the 10watt mode as well. Does all the crystal cleans,tight chunky gains,mid gains, and smooth leads all in one box without the addition of any pedals,etc. I would definitely recommend looking into it.

Back