Recto Reverb Mods?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerj1

Reaction score
New to the forum, but I'm glad I found this before I sold my amp! I have a Rectoverb 1X12 combo 50W, I'm assuming its a series 2 model (vintage/modern/clean/pushed channels), killer amp, but the reverb SUCKS! I had come to the point of selling the amp, but that little voice in my head :twisted: kept telling me not to! I cracked open the chasis to find the tiny 3 spring unit, Belton (Korean). Is there any way to install a better spring tank? I'd rather find a longer unit and mount it outboard in the bottom of the cab. Has anyone done this? I'm finding others have had the same complaints, just wondering if anyone has found a solution to this prob. I must have the spring reverb... tried the ElectroHarmonix Holy Grail in the loop, to which only dissapointed me in how much that box DRAINS the tone! Not too impressed with the sound of that unit anyhow. Read some posts about how Mesas are only for modern rock/heavy metal sounds, but I can't totally buy into that. Sure, this is a KILLER 50W amp, but I know of bands like My Morning Jacket that uses Mesas and LOADS of reverb (sample: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20creator%3A%22My%20Morning%20Jacket%22&sort=-date) Not sure of their exact rig, but when hearing them live, you can actually hear the kick drum pinging the reverb units! Hoping to find a solution rather than trading for a Fender (which I wouldn't totally be against btw). Nice forum, lots of info! Thanks,
Scott

I agree with you 100%. I cant see why that couldnt be done, although most likely it probably wont be that easy. You mentioned mounting the spring reverb outboard if need be but it seems the size of that combo being actually a 2x12 wide with just one 12 in it, I cant picture there being a problem installing it in the cab. I have also been looking around for a pedal reverb but im scared to take the plunge just yet. Id be fine buying one if it worked well enough but would rather have the onboard spring like you. Not to throw this off at all but last week I stopped in the local GC and tried a few amps for shits and giggles and came across the Peavey JSX 2x12 combo. I thought I liked everything about my rectoverb better except for the reverb. The verb on the JSX blew it out of the water. I was shocked how nice and deep that reverb sounded compared to my rectos. Ill be watching this thread also in hopes of bettering mine too.

Hey,

I own a rectoverb as well. A series two has clean, pushed, RAW, vintage and modern channels by the way, so I think you have a series 1 model.
Also, mines comes with a accutronics reverb tank. The following is regarding the accutronics reverb tanks: At the accutronics website you can order (spare) reverb tanks with different parameters and sizes, such as longer and shorter springs, 2 or 3 springs, longer and shorter decay times, impedances etc. You can replace your tank as long as you keep the impedances the same.

Since mine (so should yours) is already the biggest tank in the catalogus, you can only mess with the decay time. But I dont think that will make a big difference regardig the overall sound of the reverb.

Now the following, I noticed that the spring tank also needs a sort of breaking in, like speakers. Also, at one moment I had to replace the tank because of sprung spirngs. That new one had also to be played in. Nowadays, I"m pretty satisfied with my reverb, it just gives a little reverb colour around the edges. But I agree is just not that big and warm reverb as it should.

For a product called recto VERB, the reverb sucks pretty much indeed.

Glad to see I'm not the only one! Here's the model number of my reverb unit:
Belton
3 springs
Model #: BMB BS3BB3E 4S
Date: 2-18-1998
Soul, Korea
Has tel & fax numbers on the nameplate as well. Curious, how could I measure the Zin & Zout? Would just ohming the IN/OUT with a meter work? I've got a spare accutronics model lying around, (I think it came from a Crate, or an old organ), guess I could try that out for kicks. Though it would require a bit of splice work with the wiring. This model (the Belton) is not a RCA connector type (as typical with the Accutronics). Is there a better way to get around that w/o having to cut and splice? Thanks to all for the comments and interest,
Scott

Well, I am sorry. Dont know how a Belton tank looks like and I don't have much knowledge regarding reverb circuits.

Just try it :)

I checked my new Rectoverb and it has the type 9 6-spring accutronics tank. Dimensions are 16.75” Length x 4.375” Width x 1.313” Height.

http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/prodspec.htm

I'm wondering - which tanks do the Lonestar's ship with?
Maury

So far I know, the lonestar comes with an all different circuit to drive the tank. The main difference is that the Lonestar has a tube driven reverb circuit. In case you might want to change the tank for your ROV to what the Lonestar has, you can forget about getting a better reverb sound.

Thanks chennie - I wonder if there's a safe way to insert something like an ART Tube MP in the reverb tank signal chain. Just set-and-forget it in the back of the amp there. I wonder what kind of impedence nigthmares it could be. Hmmm.

EDIT- spoke to Boogie customer service and there's no correct way to insert a tube pre into the reverb tank signal chain. He did remind me that there is a tube in the FX loop, so adding a verb pedal in the loop would essentially get you a "somewhat tubed" reverb.

Maury

Hi,

I hope this helps, I purchased a second one rectoverb series I, as you say the reverb was hardly audible, so I took the amp to a technician to check it together with a tube problem (I experienced a loose of volume), well, the thing is that the technician found comparing the reverb circuit with the schematics that a resistance in the reverb was bigger than the one in the schematics, so he put the right one (4k I think), and problem fixed, now I have a very good reverb, so take it in account, these factory mistakes exist... also I'm told that the reverb "presence" has to do with the tubes life or power, so it can be another point to consider in the whole problem.

Maury,
Big favor to ask: could you provide the part number for the reverb tank you mentioned? I'm going to order the same unit and try it out. I got this information from Cal with Accutronics: Thanks for your help!

Scott,
The Belton reverb can be directly replaced with an Accutronics model 8BB3E1A. If you wish to upgrade to a type 4 then you could use an Accutronics model 4BB3E1A. This is an inner only unit with 10" fly leads. You could also use a type 9 reverb model 9BB3E1A. We can manufacture either unit for you. If you want a reverb with an outer channel you would then need a model 4BB3A1B or a 9BB3A1B.You can find the specs for these reverbs on our web site at www.accutronicsreverb.com. You can also find the electrical specs for these reverbs, click on applications then click input & output transducer impedance chart. If you wish to place an order you can do so at http://stores.ebay.com/SEPI-GROUP. You can then make your payment via paypal.
Regards,
Cal Shuett - SEPI-GROUP

Maury said:
I checked my new Rectoverb and it has the type 9 6-spring accutronics tank. Dimensions are 16.75” Length x 4.375” Width x 1.313” Height.

http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/prodspec.htm

Hi Roger. The part number will be 4BB1A1B for a 4-springer with short decay. Good luck. I just ordered a simiar tank from Mojo Musical Supply. They didn't have the short decay tank in stock so I opted for the medium decay tank. We'll see what she sounds like next week. Maybe you and I can post comparative sound clips of short & med tanks?
Maury

cool,,I'm going with a Type 9... I want to have TOO MUCH reverb once I'm done. Then I'll be here bitchin' about that too I guess! Too much verb can be compensated for; not enough is giving me fits! Yeah, I'd love to swap sound bites once this is done.

Roger - if you find that my type 9 will work with your amp, you can have it for the shipping costs. Let me know-
thanks,

Maury

I posted a short clip here

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12211

and I'll update it again next week when my new tank arrives.

Maury

I tried the 4-springer/medum decay and blah ... I didn't like it. Sticking with my stock tank.

Maury

Hey maury, can you give an indication what was chaned tonewise?
And you know, that a new reverb tank has to be loosend up, just like new speakers. They have to be played in. Anyways, that is my view about spring tanks.

I've got a Type 9 Accutronics with longest decay time coming in the mail. Hope to have this installed soon and I'll post my findings as well. More gain to the reverb circuit should help as well. jjruiz gave me a tip on this mod:
He changed a resistance in the input of the op-amp in order to gain reverb, removed the 475k and put one of 225k
which makes sense, just adds gain to the input stage of the reverb circuit before the springs.

Back