Recto "pop"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loki

Reaction score
Ever since I bought my 3 chan Dual Rectifer, I have had something unusual happen when i turn it on..

When I turn the amp on, the footswith lights up all thee channels' switches while the the head shows that ch2 is selected. This is rectified (pun intended) by simply selecting any channel on the footswitch.

The other strange thing is, at low volumes the first time I select ch2 it gives of a loud "pop"..

Neither of these have caused any problems in the two years I have had it, I'm just wondering if anyone has had anything similar or knows what might me causing it?

Cheerz.

Mine does it as well... I am pretty sure its a build up of static electricity and is quite common... While mine is in standby while warming up I just shuffle thru the channels a few times before I "bring on the noise" and It either dont do it at all or not near as bad.

Ah excellent, so it's not just mine then :p

That's good to know!

It's not a problem at all at high volumes, only at low settings:)

Every Mesa I've played through has that "popping" sound when you change the toggle switch setting. You'd think that Mesa Boogie would fix this by putting some type of buffer circuit in the loop so you couldn't hear the switch when you flipped it.

My Roadking only does it when switching to channel 3, and only at very low volumes. Once you put any juice at all it doesn't happen.

whiteop said:
Every Mesa I've played through has that "popping" sound when you change the toggle switch setting. You'd think that Mesa Boogie would fix this by putting some type of buffer circuit in the loop so you couldn't hear the switch when you flipped it.

Since everywhere I have read it only happens at low volumes, maybe this is Mesa's way of telling us to crank it :)

I have the same problem as well. I just shuffle through the channels on standby and always come out of standby on channel 2 and that clears it up everytime

whiteop said:

There actually is a buffer circuit in there. Newer Mesas use relays to switch channels, which pop when they switch. To compensate for the pop, the buffer circuit mutes the amp momentarily during channel switching. It uses a capacitor to short the signal to ground in order to do that, which isn't charged when the amp is first turned on, so it pops the first time.

There's really nothing to worry about -- this is normal behavior for these amps, and the pop isn't nearly loud enough to damage your speakers or anything. As someone pointed out, you can cycle through the channels on standby to charge the caps in the mute circuits to avoid the pop if you want to, but it isn't essential.

whiteop said:

There actually is a buffer circuit in there. Newer Mesas use relays to switch channels, which pop when they switch. To compensate for the pop, the buffer circuit mutes the amp momentarily during channel switching. It uses a capacitor to short the signal to ground in order to do that, which isn't charged when the amp is first turned on, so it pops the first time.

There's really nothing to worry about -- this is normal behavior for these amps, and the pop isn't nearly loud enough to damage your speakers or anything. As someone pointed out, you can cycle through the channels on standby to charge the caps in the mute circuits to avoid the pop if you want to, but it isn't essential.

Back